No Time To Die (James Bond #25)

Jay

When are they going to release this digitally? It doesn't seem to be feasible to wait for theaters to reopen with social distancing if they haven't gone out of business by then. 

On 4/10/2020 at 2:37 PM, Disco Stu said:

Has it been discussed that Broccoli and Wilson took the title for this movie from a pre-Bond Albert Broccoli movie?

It was produced in 1958 by Broccoli, written by Richard Maibaum, and directed by Terence Young (the same team that made Dr. No).

No Time to Die, 1958 quad poster.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Time_to_Die_(1958_film)

I guess they just decided it sounded like a Bond title and was a nod to Eon's past at the same time.

I think Barbara Broccoli mentioned it at some stage during the launch event.   

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Yeah. Sure. 

It's not even worth commenting on this nonsense. 

Well, I'll comment on yours. You use the word 'vegan' as an equivalent to 'skinny' because you don't know shit about the subject. That's how it is.

PS. I bother replying because I don't belong to the majority who hate every one of your posts, quite the contrary. 

I, too, am wondering what the deal is with EON pushing a theatrical release for the new film where it seems a lot of other films have bit the bullet and released on a streaming service--and made beau-coups of money from it. Seems silly to just keep delaying it at this point when the streaming model has actually come out better for a lot of other companies than if their films had been released theatrically.

Yeah ... even though SPECTRE was regarded as a bit of a disappointment after Skyfall, it still chalked up box-office of $880 million making it the franchise's second highest-grossing entry ever and 2015's sixth biggest grosser overall.   

Rumour has it that Bond's 'domestic bliss' at the beginning of NTTD includes a 5 year old daughter ... ugh. And that she's intended for a spin-off series ... ugh x 2.

I mean, even without the supposed spin-off ... where can they realistically go with that?  

She gets offed. Too dark, even for CraigBond. 

She's just not mentioned in future films. Bit awkward, but admittedly not the first bit of shaky continuity in the series.

Bond realises that a return to active service and fatherhood are incompatible, and has her adopted or something. This one's probably the best option in the circumstances. 

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Rumour has it that Bond's 'domestic bliss' at the beginning of NTTD includes a 5 year old daughter ... ugh. And that she's intended for a spin-off series ... ugh x 2.

I mean, even without the supposed spin-off ... where can they realistically go with that?  

She's just not mentioned in future films. Bit awkward, but admittedly not the first bit of shaky continuity in the series.

Bond realises that a return to active service and fatherhood are incompatible, and has her adopted or something. This one's probably the best option in the circumstances. 

I think there can be intra-Bond continuity but you cannot expect extra-Bond continuity. Meaning, continuity can only be limited to a specific Bond actor - if that. Once the role is recast, you start with a blank slate.

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

That's what happens when you let feminism near a Bond movie.

I don't give a fuck what anyone says, Bond has always been a male fantasy, and by extent a female fantasy as well. 

Turning the quintessential virile, dangerous and dominant image of a man into a tamed quasi-husband with "domestic bliss" is exclusively a woman fantasy. 

Traveling all over the world, oozing manliness, being able to get just about any woman you want, having the most virile of looks, getting paid to drive the best cars and stay at the most luxurious places, saving the world, and being absolutely independent, is a male fantasy no guy would give up to be bound to one deserted island with one gal and a kid on top. 

I don't care how snarky or cynical that sounds. It's correct. 

Keep that "I can't, I have a wife now" shit to the dime a dozen movies that use that dime a dozen plot. 

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It was, and it does, but until THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, it was the highest grossing Bond film. It's not a bad Bond film, but neither is it great. It was the one that EON made, because it could.

All of them since License To Kill were movies that were made because they could. 

There are no Fleming novels left to be made. 

19 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

^^ I might not agree with that, but the argument has merit.

If you lead the life of James Bond, you probably have such a fantasy. 

But the audience isn't James Bond. 

There is a radical paradigm shift in James Bond since Brosnan left. Up until then, with very brief momentary lapses, James Bond liked being James Bond. 

Since Craig, Bond resents his life as James Bond.

It'll eventually kill the character. Because in a modern cinematic world full of brooding failing heroes with self-doubt, a James Bond with indistinguishable traits is superfluous. 

Slap a mask and cape on him, and it could pass as a Nolan Batman movie. 

It even has the Zimmer score to go along with it. 

7 hours ago, gkgyver said:

That's what happens when you let feminism near a Bond movie.

I don't give a fuck what anyone says, Bond has always been a male fantasy, and by extent a female fantasy as well. 

Turning the quintessential virile, dangerous and dominant image of a man into a tamed quasi-husband with "domestic bliss" is exclusively a woman fantasy. 

Traveling all over the world, oozing manliness, being able to get just about any woman you want, having the most virile of looks, getting paid to drive the best cars and stay at the most luxurious places, saving the world, and being absolutely independent, is a male fantasy no guy would give up to be bound to one deserted island with one gal and a kid on top. 

I don't care how snarky or cynical that sounds. It's correct. 

Keep that "I can't, I have a wife now" shit to the dime a dozen movies that use that dime a dozen plot. 

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Responding with a meme is the lowest possible form of human interaction. 

It's the equivalent of insolent and sulky children sticking their tongues out when confronted with reasoning they can't and refuse to process. 

Grow up. 

The fact alone that you took the time to find that meme, which just ends up making you look silly, makes me smile about how easily you're gotten to. 

I agree, of course. Bond is Bond. It's a franchise for the guys. With masculinity out, Bond's days could be numbered--except that these movies make a shitload of money doing what they always did, with varying degrees of fun and smoking.

Craig's Bond is too dull and depressing that it probably doesn't matter how stupid No Time To Die is. I liked the first two, but at some point I just wanted them to be fun again. The last one tried that and it was just bizarre. Daniel Craig isn't suited to it at all. The only time he seems to be happy is when he's being tortured. Fucken weirdo.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

It's the equivalent of insolent and sulky children sticking their tongues out when confronted with reasoning they can't and refuse to process. 

Grow up. 

The fact alone that you took the time to find that meme, which just ends up making you look silly, makes me smile about how easily you're gotten to. 

Took time to find a rather common gif? And your only response is to ridicule him instead of standing your ground on the points you've made or maybe ignoring it? With this and all the other talk about "progressives" ruining everything, I can't help but wonder if maybe the one with issues isn't the guy you're responding to.

19 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think there can be intra-Bond continuity but you cannot expect extra-Bond continuity. Meaning, continuity can only be limited to a specific Bond actor - if that. Once the role is recast, you start with a blank slate.

Hmm ...  

In OHMSS, George Lazenby's sole Bond outing, his new bride Tracy is murdered minutes after their wedding. 

In the Moore-starring TSWLM, in the scene where Major Amasova and Bond are showing how much they know about each other, she says 'Married only once' to which Bond tersely replies 'All right, you've made your point'. She responds 'You're sensitive, Mr Bond' to which he replies 'About certain things, yes'.

In FYEO (also starring Moore) we see him laying flowers on Tracy's grave in the pre-credits sequence. The sequence then further references Tracy/OHMSS by having Bond board a helicopter which is being remote-controlled by Blofeld (unnamed as such on screen because of legal issues at the time) who is wearing the neck-brace which he was last seen wearing at the end of OHMSS just before Irma Bunt kills Tracy. 

In the Dalton-starring LTK, Bond is clearly uncomfortable at Felix's Leiter's wedding with new bride Della kidding with him that he'll 'be next'. When Della asks Felix what the problem is, Felix replies 'He was married once, but it was a long time ago'. Apparently earlier drafts of the script made it more explicit that Bond's desire for revenge was strongly driven by his friend being made to suffer the same tragic loss as him.         

And in the Brosnan-starring TWINE, when asked by Electra King if he's ever lost someone he loved, Bond flat-out just doesn't answer. 

9 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Grow up. 

Hey buddy, this is the exact response I wanted out of you, since you said the exact same thing last time I responded to you with a GIF. Makes me smile how easily you’re gotten to.