No Time To Die (James Bond #25)

Jay

On 9/4/2020 at 12:36 AM, bruce marshall said:

Looks like another film built around action set pieces; instead of the action being determined by the story and script.

The Only good Bond films are ones that aren't wall to wall action but have a back story: like GOLDENEYE and SKYFALL.

GoldenEye beats the hell out of Skyfall. And if you put a gun to my head, I'd prefer the score to GoldenEye as well.

Eric Serra's score has a distinct personality, whereas I can detect no such thing in Newman's. 

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I say this as a fan of his, but Thomas Newman's Bond scores suck.  Serra's score is 100% better than both of his.

Yes, indeed. Especially after Quantum which was an almost pure action score, but it had Bond music DNA all over it. I really loved the score ( not necessarily the movie). Then Skyfall. A lot of effective action pieces, but no Bond in it. I was really disapointed. 

A woman assuming she knows what men want has never gone wrong. Ever. 

Now, to serve equality, let some male writers fix men in romantic comedies, and we'll ensure once and for all that neither gender will find each other attractive again in their favorite movie genre. 

Bond is one of the last bastions of male fantasy. After Star Wars and Star Trek, does that have to get pussyfied as well? 

Can't wait for the inevitable weirdos to come around saying how hot that she-beast Double-0 is. 

I suppose the question is: "Who the chuffin' 'eck is this Lashana Lynch woman, and why should I be listening to a single word that she says?"

For the last I-don't-know-how-many  years, we've been told how Bond women are "strong, and not "stereotypical" If they're so strong, then how come these young women always end-up allowing themselves to  get well and truly porked by a much older man, at the end of the film?

Best not to try to talk intelligent, deary. Just turn up on time, say your lines, and collect you pay cheque. Now, run along, before I give you a well-deserved slap on the backside.

In the NEXT Bond film , the girl...I mean woman , will not be the ' stereotypical' Bond girl...i mean woman. She will be a strong, indep.

Oh SHUT UP! JUST SHUT THE EFF UP . ENOUGH ALREADY!😵😡😠😡😵😵😡😠

HAVE A NICE DAY!😍

Well of course the Bond franchise has always been horrendously sexist, awash with helpless bimbos. That's why in the very first film Dr No, Honey doesn't tell Bond that she deliberately ensured the death-by-spider of a man who had forced himself on her.  

Oh wait ...  

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Well of course the Bond franchise has always been horrendously sexist, awash with helpless bimbos. That's why in the very first film Dr No, Honey doesn't tell Bond that she deliberately ensured the death-by-spider of a man who had forced himself on her.  

Oh wait ...  

....and women saved HIS LIFE in FRWL and TB.....

Yeah, it’s almost as if the mods are afraid of the blatant misogynists... and they wonder why more people don’t post here?

Naive posts from a new member? Unacceptable, will probably be bullied off the board. Blatant misogyny from one of the “old guard”? Part of the scenery.

3 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

Yeah, it’s almost as if the mods are afraid of the blatant misogynists... and they wonder why more people don’t post here?

You have to report a post for the mods to see it and take action.

It's really just me - Inky doesn't seem to be around much these days, neither does Ricard

And I haven't had time to read every post in every thread for many years now.  If you want to bring something to my attention, use the report feature

Also, you can use the Ignore feature to never see posts from users you don't like ever again

I have no idea what bullying of new members you are referring to at all.  Got a link?

23 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

Blatant misogyny from one of the “old guard”? Part of the scenery.

I don’t think a mod’s job is censorship. Let the misogyny reflect badly on the posters themselves. It is a free world. People can say what they want.

mods should step in when a user is attacked or something. I think that’s the only line of civility, don’t attack fellow posters.

but otherwise, expressing general opinions? I think that should be game. Has to be to foster dialog. People are not malicious for thinking differently.

30 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I don’t think a mod’s job is censorship. Let the misogyny reflect badly on the posters themselves.

That's the way I've always felt about it!

We tend to step in when members are attacking other members, and when discussion veers into politics or religion.

Members who post opinions that they are too clueless to realize the majority of people who will ever read it will consider to be behind the times takes care of itself

Sure Jay, that does definitely make sense.

Just out of interest, where's the line between attacking a group of people (based on gender, love of Star Wars etc.) and attacking an individual? I think many people would say that some of those examples are crucial parts of their personal identity, and worry that would-be posters (especially women) are being driven off by some of it, though, and perceiving an entirely rotten apple where the vast majority of the apple is lovely.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Star Wars is a religion, still it's OK to talk about it here.

I see through the lies of the Jurassic Shark!

7 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

Just out of interest, where's the line between attacking a group of people (based on gender, love of Star Wars etc.) and attacking an individual? I think many people would say that some of those examples are crucial parts of their personal identity, and worry that would-be posters (especially women) are being driven off by some of it, though, and perceiving an entirely rotten apple where the vast majority of the apple is lovely.

I dunno, a direct attack against woman probably wouldn't fly, but an opinion on how some movie franchise should be run is not that

I dunno what Star Wars thing you're referring to

On 9/29/2020 at 2:02 PM, Jay said:

Inky doesn't seem to be around much these days, neither does Ricard

Well, the internet connection to Finland is notoriously unstable, and it's well known that @Ricard is in it for the money.

Would you prefer lobotomized? 

I'm truly sorry, I must have missed the 20 Bond films that had "tragic love stories" and "emotional cores", as stated in a recent podcast. 

I never realized James Bond films were meant to be glorified soap operas. 

Women of course never use the male anatomy as swear words.

Truly, deeply, sorry. 

#DestroyThe Patriarchy

@Jay You closed the Sexy Celebrity thread, you're not a good judge for these things. 

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

In a saner world, the mumbly 18 year old in a recording studio would be the tea-making intern.

Brilliant!

As for the gunbarrel sequence: once again, the best music in a Bond film is composed by John Barry.

This is terrible news. Not because I wanted to watch the movie, but because of the exhibitors. They opened late August expecting a string of blockbusters that'd bring people back to the theaters (Mulan, Tenet, NTTD, WW84, Pixar's Soul and eventually Dune).

However, the poor box office of Tenet at the US and The New Mutants made the studios realize that now it's not the time to bring people back, so they delayed almost everything to the next year.

That left poor theaters opened, spending money on electricity, staff, rent, etc., but with next to no new movies, therefore no public. It's a dire situation for theaters. Let's hope they survive, because at least 2021 looks promising in box office terms.

I'd be absolutely filthy if I ran a cinema right now.

They all went to great expense and effort to re-open on the promise of big new releases leading up to Christmas, now the studios have pushed everything back until next year because the virus is wildly out of control in key markets. Guess what? It's still going to be wildly out of control by May next year! The US hasn't even gotten past their first wave yet, for crying out loud.

Apparently, studios don't want to release any of their prime blockbusters now because theaters in NY and LA are still closed, and these are the areas with the biggest moviegoing population. 

Without NTTD and Black Widow, there isn't gonna be a new blockbuster until Thanksgiving with Pixar's Soul and DreamWorks' The Croods 2.

25 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

DreamWorks' The Croods 2.

I don't even know what The Croods 1 was, but if that's the blockbuster they're expecting to save cinemas... good luck!

57 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't even know what The Croods 1 was, but if that's the blockbuster they're expecting to save cinemas... good luck!

lol

Actually, the first Croods had a decent box office back in 2013, US$ 587 millions worldwide. But yeah, after that the movie faded from people's minds and a sequel is a risky proposition.