No Time To Die (James Bond #25)

Jay

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Apparently, studios don't want to release any of their prime blockbusters now because theaters in NY and LA are still closed, and these are the areas with the biggest moviegoing population. 

Two states with autocratic, power hungry Governors.

It's like theyre James Bond villains holding the industry hostages

Because I decided to go with a positive / neutral only system instead of a positive / neutral / negative one

No idea who the vocalist is, despite enjoying some of his work Ronson's perma-hipper-than-thou persona makes me want to punch him in the face, and I'm afraid I was 'out' after the grammatical hot mess that is 'You know you can't trust no-one'. 

17 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wow. I could understand every single word.

i know, a rarity.

The song is alright. Her pitch was Bondy but the song and backing are very pop like. Bond typically has a lush orchestral backing.

Also I did not discern a strong theme that could translate to the score. Eilish’s song has a theme that can be used in the score.

I hadn't listened to the song I posted yet but just did now.  It's fine, I can see it fitting perfectly fine with an opening titles montage in a modern Bond film.

The Eilish song on the other hand, I haven't listened to all the way through but the snippets I heard were a massive turn off in every way (I already knew and didn't like her music beforehand)

Eilish's song is kinda a standard Bond song but a good one. The thing is she mumbles and whispers her lyrics instead of belting it out. She belts it out at only one moment towards the end but I found it too late too little.

Its a good song, why not sing it out. It is almost like Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR).

On 10/9/2020 at 5:40 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

Eilish's song is kinda a standard Bond song but a good one. The thing is she mumbles and whispers her lyrics instead of belting it out. She belts it out at only one moment towards the end but I found it too late too little.

Its a good song, why not sing it out. It is almost like Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR).

The chorus and "melody" of the song are laughable. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Really wish Spitting Image had been a 'straightforward' ITV production again this time round. I'm not a streaming platform subscription kinda guy. 

Yeah, I've missed out on this and a few other things because they're on a subscription thing. Meh. I never even bothered figuring out what the hell Britbox is anyway; I have enough subscriptions as it is.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Oh good, more "subverting" because that has such a good track record these days. 

Starting the last chapter on a more subdued note is the most vanilla thing in storytelling.

Just like that epic action scene at the beginning of RotJ.

Granted, Bond's not in either of them (well, he sort of is in Golden Gun's).

But lacking excitement? LALD's alone has 3 assassinations, has the terrific 'Whose funeral is it? Yours!' gag and a voodoo ceremony.    

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Which Blofeld?

Yes, ladies, and germs, welcome to 

CHOOSE YOUR BLOFELD!

1 - The pussy-bothering Blofeld, where you can't see his face.

2 - The bald, scarred Blofeld, who lives in a volcano.

3 - The missing earlobes Blofeld who lives in the Alps, and doesn't say "Who loves ya, baby".

4 - The drag queen Blofeld.

5 - The wheelchair-bound Blofeld.

6 - The non-EON pussy-bothering Blofeld.

7 - The "If I'm so clever, why did my helicopter take one up the ass, and I ended-up getting captured, by M, on Westminster fucking Bridge?!" Blofeld.

VOTE, NOW!

16 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Which Blofeld?

Yes, ladies, and germs, welcome to 

CHOOSE YOUR BLOFELD!

1 - The pussy-bothering Blofeld, where you can't see his face.

2 - The bald, scarred Blofeld, who lives in a volcano.

3 - The missing earlobes Blofeld who lives in the Alps, and doesn't say "Who loves ya, baby".

4 - The drag queen Blofeld.

5 - The wheelchair-bound Blofeld.

6 - The non-EON pussy-bothering Blofeld.

7 - The "If I'm so clever, why did my helicopter take one up the ass, and I ended-up getting captured, by M, on Westminster fucking Bridge?!" Blofeld.

VOTE, NOW!

Pleasance for me ... there's something quietly chilling in his delivery of 'Annihilated'. 

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the first episode of Fleabag and I think I'm allergic to her. And now she's writing Bond?! I didn't expect this one to be good (no Sam Mendes, problems on set, ...) but now I'm double worried. 

On 11/6/2020 at 3:19 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Pleasance for me ... there's something quietly chilling in his delivery of 'Annihilated'. 

Nah!

Gray for that great line " All that time and trouble, just to provide you with one mock heroic moment".

Classic.😁

Afraid I don't quite have it in me to 100% buy into DAF's 'camp black comedy' vibe (people who blame Moore for the beginning of overly comedic Bond really should reconsider). Although it admittedly does have some good stuff.    

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Farcical if true.

Does the financial viability of the studio rely on this film being a massive success? I doubt cinemas will ever return to the numbers we saw a few years ago -- the longer this drags on, the more entrenched home cinemas/streaming becomes.

The cinema experience was dying a slow death before COVID; they're only accelerating it by withholding the product.

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Farcical if true.

Does the financial viability of the studio rely on this film being a massive success? I doubt cinemas will ever return to the numbers we saw a few years ago -- the longer this drags on, the more entrenched home cinemas/streaming becomes.

The cinema experience was dying a slow death before COVID; they're only accelerating it by withholding the product.

This is just more Covid hysterics. You can doubt the cinema will ever pack people in as it did before Chinavirus, but that's just ridiculous. Right before everything closed down, they were still making a killing. Look how many of these fools went to see 'Joker'. I don't even like going to movie theaters or care about the industry in general, but I'm not unrealistic or pessimistic when it comes to their chances of surviving a year or so of this crap.

As for Bond, I've lost all interest in seeing it.

I wonder how many folks who trash JOKER, have actually seen it.?

Not many I guess.

I'm actually more interested in ZIMMERS score than than NTTD , the film

Craig should have quit after SKYFALL - as originally planned.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Farcical if true.

Uh, yes. It's MGM. They have nothing else that's this big - everything else coming is indie and prestige/awards releases, this film was meant to cover a lot for them - they already ended up delaying their big awards contender Respect (Aretha Franklin biopic) because they didn't have the money from Bond to do a campaign. And they've already blown their load twice marketing spend wise. And they're up for sale now too.

Also UK cinemas don't look to be able to reopen until May at this point, that's the latest indication re: hospitality in this current lockdown, which will only begin to ease up when enough of the most vulnerable are vaccinated, with now the latest timeline is every UK adult being offered it by the end of the summer. At the current rate timelines appear to be very similar Stateside too, and in continental Europe. All the big stuff that can't have PVOD or streaming as a cushion like the Warner Bros/HBO Max stuff, is gonna be pushed.

50 minutes ago, antovolk said:

All the big stuff that can't have PVOD or streaming as a cushion like the Warner Bros/HBO Max stuff, is gonna be pushed.

Didn't Netflix offer them a huge deal for the streaming rights?

I get that it's a difficult situation in a lot of countries, but endlessly delaying the film doesn't necessarily improve its financial outlook. If nothing else, EON should really be devoting their resources to writing/casting Bond 26 and getting Martin Campbell back to launch their next actor.

It was a horrible movie, ironically a good example of a bad cinema experience. It would've sunk like a stone on the second weekend once word got out.

The sound quality was atrocious enough in my home cinema. Can't imagine how bad it would've been in a packed cinema, surrounded by bewildered people constantly going, "huh?" and "what did they just say?" to the person sitting next to them.