No Time To Die (James Bond #25)

Jay

I had that problem, with INTERSTELLAR. Even allowing for the fact that I saw it in IMAX, it was far too loud, and the dialogue was often incomprehensible. Thinking back, it didn't seem to have much of a dynamic range, which might have played a part.

At least with home cinema, one is able to boost the centre speaker output.

22 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I had that problem, with INTERSTELLAR. Even allowing for the fact that I saw it in IMAX, it was far too loud, and the dialogue was often incomprehensible.

Absolutely a benefit of home cinema, being able to control the volume. But the problem with Tenet isn't dialogue buried in the mix, it's the dialogue itself being muffled and incomprehensible. Boosting the center channel wouldn't have improved anything; it's as if they only used on-set audio and didn't ADR anything, regardless of whether dialogue was intelligible or not.

Just a horrible film experience. Enough to make me avoid any Nolan movie theatrically from now on, if he thought this was acceptable.

14 hours ago, crumbs said:

Does the financial viability of the studio rely on this film being a massive success?

Well, it's MGM, so yeah, it does. Unlike Disney, Warner, Universal, etc., they don't have other movies as big as No Time to Die, this is their only blockbuster for the foreseeable future. I wasn't surprised when they tried to get some fast cash by selling the movie to streamers a few months ago. They need this movie to do extraordinarily well for them.

• 2 weeks later...

And there it is ... a gap between series entries that will now equal the one from LTK to Goldeneye. Makes one nostalgic for when they came along every 2 years ... I can only hope the time is being used for casting work on the 7th lead actor and the writing of movie no. 26.     

The biggest downside to this (aside from the horror of the rampaging virus throughout the world) is that this move will further delay any future Bond expansions from LLL. If I were EON I’d be getting legacy stuff out there to remind people Bond exists.

No Time To Die will require reshoots because by the time the film’s finally released, the gadgets will be noticeably outdated

The details of the gadgets and things are all kept tightly under wraps, but everyone knows that James Bond always carries the latest kit with him. The problem is that some of those things were the very latest models back when they started filming. But by the time the movie comes out now it will look like Daniel Craig and all of the other cast members are carrying something that has been out for ages. That isn’t really the point of these deals. The big tech firms want the stars to have all the new up-and-coming products to help promote them and sell them to fans. It means some of the scenes are going to have to be very carefully edited and looked at to bring things up to date.

Are reshoots that necessary for just a couple of gadgets? Seems like something you could easily do in the edit. Besides, I think people will be fairly understanding with this being a film that was made for an earlier release in mind, so it just seems like an odd thing to put more money into (besides tech companies demanding it).

It's about specific product placement: The companies who paid for their products to be in the film want 2021 versions of their products in the film now, not 2019 versions

Well Nokia is one of them

One such vendor is cell phone manufacturer Nokia, who have gone as far as shooting an ad to promote their “latest” model with Lashana Lynch’s Nomi. However, the ad you’re about to see ran in September, in anticipation of a November 2020 release date; which means this phone is probably in the public’s hands, and doesn’t feel as exotic or Bond-ian.

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

Movie post-production being directly interfered with purely because of product placement is a rather sad dent in artistic expression in film

Have you seen MOONRAKER?

The entire  film is designed to incorporate product placements- in major scenes!😰

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Well Nokia is one of them

The phone looks CGI there too :lol:

Wouldn't be surprised if they already updated the phone model for the ad's release last year, if this was shot during the film's production in 2018 (!)

If the film actually releases this November, it will be 3 years after production start (a full year longer than the gap between Craig's first two Bond films!)

I wonder if they regret parting ways with Danny Boyle after spending all that time developing his version.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, it is scheduled to open on Sept. 30 here in Brazil.

But with the terrible current status of the pandemic here and slow progression of the vaccine program I think I'll wait for the streaming at "Paramount+" that reached an agreement with MGM: 

Paramount+ to Stream James Bond Movie 'No Time to Die' After Initial Release (popculture.com)

• 2 weeks later...

The Billie Eilish song won the Grammy for "Best Song Written For Visual Media" last night

I'm too lazy to research, but I wonder if this is the first time the winner for that category is for media that didn't actually come out yet

That's reminded me of Moore saying one of the reasons he couldn't take it seriously was that 'What kind of secret agent worth his salt is known BY NAME by every hotelier and restaurant manager?'   

On 3/15/2021 at 5:04 PM, Jay said:

I'm too lazy to research, but I wonder if this is the first time the winner for that category is for media that didn't actually come out yet

That is a pretty good question. If I am not mistaken one aspect of this category should be, if the song actually fits or supports the media in an appropriate way and not only if it is a nice sounding song.

Ok. At a James Bond movie you know more or less what to expect.But that is in a way unfair for other media who first have to proof that the song fits by being published already.

On 3/15/2021 at 4:04 PM, Jay said:

The Billie Eilish song won the Grammy for "Best Song Written For Visual Media" last night

They gave out awards, for that? I thought it just earplugs.

A lot of people seemed to dislike the song and I have to admit that despite being okay with it on a first listen 17 months ago, the singer makes the rounds in tabloidy articles in the Post as a miserable green-haired Antifa girl, which has slightly soured it for me.

I've seen some 'doing it her own way, sticking it to *The Man* ' reporting on Eilish ... the fact that her single 'Bad Guy' is the current soundtrack of the massive corporate entity BT's ads seems to have passed these people by. 

• 2 months later...

It'll be interesting if Amazon attempts to buyout EON and take full control of the franchise or just leave things as they are.  In the current format, EON basically has control of everything from creative to release plans, with MGM just handling funding and advertising.  Now if the films keep making a billion at the box office I can't imagine they'd complain, but I imagine Amazon wants to get more out of the franchise than a film every few years.  

Hopefully EON will "play ball" and let Amazon make a show set in the universe or something to placate them and maintain control, as I'd much rather EON remain in control of the series at this point, though perhaps its a perfect time for the Broccolis to bow out and let new minds take a swing.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

There's no way EON sells their stake in Bond. Not while Barbara Broccoli is still alive.

And the idea of a James Bond TV series, or spin-off of any kind, is horrid.  You delve too deep into that world and you run serious risk of destroying what makes it special in the first place.

Personally, I'm fine with a show based off the Moneypenny Diaries novels or even a show starring Nomi or some other OO.  I really don't see how the world is sacred: we used to get video games all the time as well as merch and even tv specials featuring characters from the films presenting clips and having their own adventures.  I feel this idea that Bond is something sacred that needs to only be seen in small doses forget that until Craig, Bond was a semi-annual movie and not something that needed to be "protected."

Hell, a show even set in the 1950s adapting the novels more closely to how they were written would even be fine with me, though I don't know about having two live action Bonds at once.  The radio adaptations a few years ago were great and many fans are clamoring for more Bond in this era.  It wouldn't be my immediate preference but it would appease those fans while letting the movies stick to modern times without fans constantly wanting a return to the 1960s.

A TV series adapting the full original plots of every novel in that original time period would be pretty cool

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

A TV series adapting the full original plots of every novel in that original time period would be pretty cool

That's actually a pretty good idea. If it were done right.

The problem is, Bond acting like Bond, and all that entails, wouldn't fly on TV in today's environment.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Yeah!

Tarantino attempted to do that with CR- which was not owned by EON at one time.

Th thing that gets me is the books ALMOST went into public domain in 2014, but the Copyright laws were.changed and extended rights for twenty more years.

Btw BBC produced radio plays based on.the books .

On YT!

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

That's actually a pretty good idea. If it were done right.

The problem is, Bond acting like Bond, and all that entails, wouldn't fly on TV in today's environment.

Yup.

Fleming was not ' woke' and neither was.his creation.

Yeah, the Ian Fleming Foundation protect the rights to the books quite judiciously I think. 

Speaking of which, a third Anthony Horowitz Bond novel has been announced for next year ... no title yet but it seems it begins where Fleming's last novel (Golden Gun) ends, with the death of Scaramanga and Bond's return from Jamaica to confront an old enemy.  

3 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

no title yet but it seems it begins where Fleming's last novel (Golden Gun) ends, with the death of Scaramanga and Bond's return from Jamaica to confront an old enemy.  

They call him Bellosh.

8 hours ago, His Royal Noelness said:

There was a comment from Bezos about bringing the MGM franchises into the 21st century and honestly, that sounds terrible. Bond is a misogynistic dinosaur and relic of the Cold War. Don't try and reinvent him for the tiktok generation please.  

Agree completely. There's just no way you can put a series on TV today that's true to the source material. It just won't fly with modern sensibilities.  Though I'd bet if they had the courage to do it, and let Bond be Bond, it would be a huge hit, even though TV critics & social media would go crazy with outrage. 

That said, I suspect Amazon is going to be able to do something with it. While it's true EON has complete control, I think Amazon will throw the kind of money at them that it's impossible to say no to. That's what they did to finally get the Tolkien estate to crack.

I'm not saying we'll see the Bond movies on Amazon, or even a proper James Bond TV series, I think EON is committed to Bond being an event on the big screen. But I certainly could see something set in that "universe" (ala Amazon's awful Tom Clancy content).  I just can't see Amazon not utilizing Bond, which is the single most important thing they're getting out of this deal in terms of future content.

Well, the BBC radio adaptations worked pretty well without totally eviscerating the source material.

As did the comic strip versions.

Most of the cringeworthy material comes from interior monologues , not action.

On 5/29/2021 at 7:09 AM, His Royal Noelness said:

There was a comment from Bezos about bringing the MGM franchises into the 21st century and honestly, that sounds terrible. Bond is a misogynistic dinosaur and relic of the Cold War. Don't try and reinvent him for the tiktok generation please.  

Great article on that very subject ... 

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/05/26/james-bond-mgm-ian-flemming-masculinity-misogyny-imperialism/5169315001/

• 1 month later...