No Time To Die (James Bond #25)

Jay

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

"Why don't you ask me?

"Bless your heart!"

LTK has grown in stature, for me, since I saw it (in June, 1989, at the Odeon Marble Arch, since you asked).

It really is unique. It looks, and feels like no other 007 film. People say that QOS was violent, but that's nothing compared to LTK: two shark-attacks, a stringing-up, someone blowing up in a pressure chamber, BdT getting mulched, and the main villain getting set on fire. It's not what was expected after the jolly romps OCTOPUSSY, and AVTAK. 

It really is Bond at its hardest, and it's all the better for it. If EON had played to America (kept the Bob Peak artwork, and emphasized the American cast...it can have KILL, the rest of the world can have REVOKED) it could have been a smash.

The big problemo with LTK, is that, once he resigns from the country club sorry, Her Majesty's Government, he's no longer 007, he's just a guy out for revenge. Its a Bond film, but it's not a "Bond Film". 

Still, it's great fun to watch, with some nifty one liners, and good action sequences. I like it. Now, about that expanded score...

1 minute ago, Richard said:

"Bless your heart!"

LTK has grown in stature, for me, since I saw it (in June, 1989, at the Odeon Marble Arch, since you asked).

It really is unique. It looks, and feels like no other 007 film. People say that QOS was violent, but that's nothing compared to LTK: two shark-attacks, a stringing-up, someone blowing up in a pressure chamber, BdT getting mulched, and the main villain getting set on fire. It's not what was expected after the jolly romps OCTOPUSSY, and AVTAK. 

It really is Bond at its hardest, and it's all the better for it. If EON had played to America (kept the Bob Peak artwork, and emphasized the American cast...it can have KILL, the feast of the world can have REVOKED).

The big problemo with LTK, is that, once he resigns from the country club sorry, Her Majesty's Government, he's no longer 007, he's just a guy out for revenge. Its a Bond film, but it's not a "Bond Film". 

Still, it's great fun to watch, with some nifty one liners, and good action sequences. I like it. Now, about that expanded score...

Best post of this week!

I even like the expanded role for Q. 

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

It really is Bond at its hardest, and it's all the better for it. If EON had played to America (kept the Bob Peak artwork, and emphasized the American cast...it can have KILL, the rest of the world can have REVOKED) it could have been a smash.

Worst post of the week!

Except for the bit about it not really being a Bond film. That’s spot on.

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Thanks very much :)

Q's "Ah! We must be related" always makes me chuckle.

You guys are bringing it all back to me.  I'm willing to go on record now saying both Dalton Bonds are SPOT ON.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Right you are. My bad. Entirely different country!

I don't like it.  It does have some good action pieces, and Robert Davi is in fact good.  And Dalton is excellent, it might even be a better performance than The Living Daylights.

But as you point out, the direction isn't, er, great. The photography is ugly, the production values are low (even cheap) and the whole thing has a TV movie look about it. I also think it's a little too violent, even for a Bond film to be frank.  And even though the Bond films really aren't "fantasy", I think there's a certain Jame Bond zone that should transport you to that world which I think LTK lacks.

It's a polarising film. Most Bond fans, I think, rank it pretty low, but there are a small passionate group that really love it. But I put it at the bottom with Die Another Day and Quantum.

Worst post of the week, apart from the bit about "my bad". That's spot on.

Dalton was a proto-Craig ... the more down-to-Earth approach, more complexity to Bond's character and a harder edge to the violence are all there in Daylights/LTK. But the audience weren't really ready for it.  

11 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Brosnan was excellent as Bond. He retained some of Moore's humour but cut it with a bit of a hard edge. Not the Bond of the books, of course, but a great cinematic Bond.

Same goes for Dalton...he was also a great Bond, and probably the closest in characterisation to what Fleming wrote.  He only did two films, only one of which was very good, but his portrayal has a lot of fans. 

Actually, Connery, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig have all been very good Bonds in their own way.  Even if they were sometimes hampered by poor or mediocre films.

I like  to think  of Brosnan as the... Let's  say cosmopolitan  Bond.

Bond basically  is a charming thug. I say this  after reading all the  books. I feel  only  Connery and  Craig captured what I read in the  book.

And  maybe Lazenby to some extent  but his acting was suspect. What  saves  him though is the  excellent  film  around  him.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Dalton was a proto-Craig ... the more down-to-Earth approach, more complexity to Bond's character and a harder edge to the violence are all there in Daylights/LTK. But the audience weren't really ready for it.  

Looks like he came to a dead end.

6 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I feel  only  Connery and  Craig captured what I read in the  book.

I don't read Bond books but I know what you mean. I hope they don't go back to a more feminine Bond. Something tells me they won't.

2 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I haven't seen any of them wearing a dress, eyeliner or carrying a handbag.

...which is a lot less than Blofeld does :lol:

1 minute ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

It's a quote from LTK.

Bless your heart.

I know it is ;)

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I haven't seen any of them wearing a dress, eyeliner or carrying a handbag.

Be careful what you wish for - 

Craig stars in character as Bond and Dench narrates as M in this clip made for International Women's Day, which manages to imply that gender inequality is all 007's fault. 

Ugh.   

21 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What's wrong with it?

The implication that gender inequality is Bond's fault. Seems that nowadays Bond must atone for being a 'love them and leave them' type, ignoring the fact that the 2 times when he fell in love properly (Vesper and Tracy) both women died as a result, leaving him broken-hearted and with the aforementioned (entirely understandable) attitude that relationships are impossible in his chosen profession.  

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The implication that gender inequality is Bond's fault. Seems that nowadays Bond must atone for being a 'love them and leave them' type, ignoring the fact that the 2 times when he fell in love properly (Vesper and Tracy) both women died as a result, leaving him broken-hearted and with the aforementioned (entirely understandable) attitude that relationships are impossible in his chosen profession.  

That's probably more your interpretation of it than what the video was actually stating.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Overreacting much? The PSA is not implicating that the gender inequalities of the world are the result of James Bond. They just used a characteristically sexist character to bring awareness to an issue.

Exactly!

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Richard said:

I want to see a return to the old Bond; drinking hard, smoking hard, fucking hard, slapping hard, whoreing hard, using women as human shields.

Let's show these SJW, #meetoo bitches who's boss!

Classic Bond!

9 hours ago, Richard said:

I want to see a return to the old Bond; drinking hard, smoking hard, fucking hard, slapping hard, whoreing hard, using women as human shields.

Let's show these SJW, #meetoo bitches who's boss!

Trump age Bond?