The Force Awakens Blu Ray special features include 7 minute music featurette "The Seventh Symphony"

rpvee

The official Star Wars website has announced the details of "The Force Awakens"' home media release (available digitally April 1st, physically April 5th).  Bonus features include a feature-length "making of" documentary, a look at the final lightsaber duel, deleted scenes, etc.... and also, "John Wililams: The Seventh Symphony", which is described below:

The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens

I imagine some parts of the official YouTube video we got, which also looked at the making of the score, will be included in this DVD feature.

Nice to see the score being acknowledged!

Source: http://www.starwars.com/news/its-true-all-of-it-star-wars-the-force-awakens-is-coming-home

-----

ORIGINAL POST:

Making Star Wars, a popular Star Wars fan site that shared a lot of reliable news about "The Force Awakens" leading up to its release, has just shared this:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/02/list-of-special-features-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens-blu-ray/

It reports that a Swedish online store's pre-order listing for the film's Blu-Ray release also lists the bonus features, which include one feature titled "John Williams: The Seventh Symphony".  Of course, nothing is confirmed here, but the list seems believable enough.  For now, this is just a rumor, but we may get that longer look at the scoring process after all!

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

Of course the Blu Ray would feature a featurette on the music.  There was no chance it wouldn't.

This.  It's just a matter of how in-depth or how long.  It would be great to have a 30 minute or more featurette and not just some verbal handjob with everyone applauding Williams for 6 minutes.

I'm looking forward to this. I hope is lengthier than what we usually get.

Although for Star Wars we've got almost nothing, so I think my hopes will be fulfilled.

This DVD special has been confirmed!  Main post updated with the info as well. :)

The official Star Wars website has announced the details of "The Force Awakens"' home media release (available digitally April 1st, physically April 5th).  Bonus features include a feature-length "making of" documentary, a look at the final lightsaber duel, deleted scenes, etc.... and also, "John Wililams: The Seventh Symphony", which is described below:

The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens

I imagine some parts of the official YouTube video we got, which also looked at the making of the score, will be included in this DVD feature.

Nice to see the score being acknowledged!

Source: http://www.starwars.com/news/its-true-all-of-it-star-wars-the-force-awakens-is-coming-home

3 hours ago, rpvee said:

With 3 'exclusive' editions for 3 different stores. Are they actually hoping that they will get die-hard fans to buy 3 copies?

What will it take for studios to stop doing this bullshit?

I would assume the retailers offer the studios some kind of incentive and I bet the practice would stop if the retailers stopped asking for exclusive content.

The Target one is the only one with extra actual content. The Best Buy and Wal-Mart ones are just packaging differences.

I suspect it is a 10 minute featurette but would be very happy to be proven wrong.

I'm afraid it's just a 10 minute featurette! I want at least a 30 minute look into the entire scoring process. It's not unprecedented and the occasion of JW returning to SW is definitely worth it. IIRC I feel like The Hobbit dvds, and maybe TLOR dvds also, had some pretty extensive behind the scenes of composing and scoring featurettes much longer than the typical 10 minute stuff. I want something like that from TFA. 

Just now, artguy360 said:

I'm afraid it's just a 10 minute featurette! I want at least a 30 minute look into the entire scoring process. It's not unprecedented and the occasion of JW returning to SW is definitely worth it. IIRC I feel like The Hobbit dvds, and maybe TLOR dvds also, had some pretty extensive behind the scenes of composing and scoring featurettes much longer than the typical 10 minute stuff. I want something like that from TFA. 

Yeah something along the lines of the 1 hour documentary found on the Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition would be awesome for The Force Awakens.

Yeah I'd love to see an actual working day of JW conducting, listening to playback, making changes, etc. And I want a more extensive interview with JW about the music beyond just talking about the major new themes. I hope we get longer interviews like we did for the Phantom Menace score. I think there's a half hour interview with JW on TPM on youtube somewhere. 

27 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Yeah something along the lines of the 1 hour documentary found on the Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition would be awesome for The Force Awakens.

Yeah, what a great documentary it was, basically just praising Pope and saying how awesome a conductor he is!

– Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey (69:14)

– The Story Awakens: The Table Read (4:01)

– Crafting Creatures (9:34)

– Building BB-8 (6:03)

– Blueprint Of A Battle: The Snow Fight (7:02)

– ILM: The Visual Magic Of The Force (7:54)

– John Williams: The Seventh Symphony (6:51)

– Deleted Scenes:
1. Finn And The Villager (0:31)
2. Jakku Message (0:47)
3. X-Wings Prepare For Lightspeed (0:22)
4. Kylo Searches The Falcon (0:50)
5. Snow Speeder Chase (0:48)
6. Finn Will Be Fine (0:23)

– Force For Change (3:22)

7 whole minutes about the music, zowwee!

Deleted scenes are way too short; There's gotta be a lot more deleted stuff.

The deleted scenes shorteness looks like they could be finished (SFX and all) shots, deleted for trimming the film.

No Maz giving the lightsaber to leia...

There were supposedly more scenes with Leia...

Yea, you're right; It's probably just the little bits that were trimmed last minute, so hopefully that means they're properly scored by Williams, color timed, ADRed, and have completed special fx so that people can make fan edits that re-incorporates them.

The more interesting stuff was probably cut earlier and are being saved for a future release :P

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Plus the first 3 or 4 minutes of that featurette will probably be about the legacy of the Star Wars music, focusing on the music from the OT and then the prequels! It's despicable!

I wouldn't worry about that.  The prequels don't exist anymore with Disney in charge (nor should they).  

The 7 minutes featurette is a joke!

Toldya it was suspicious for the film being released on April's fools day :/

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yea, you're right; It's probably just the little bits that were trimmed last minute, so hopefully that means they're properly scored by Williams, color timed, ADRed, and have completed special fx so that people can make fan edits that re-incorporates them.

The more interesting stuff was probably cut earlier and are being saved for a future release :P

As long as they dont act as if they never existed and then release them like 30 years later...

2 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

I just hope that the blu-ray will have a better mix of the score than what I've heard in theaters.

Is there any precedent for that ever happening before?

6 hours ago, Romão said:

– John Williams: The Seventh Symphony (6:51)

Well that is a disappointment. Although we should probably be thankful for anything we get. And perhaps there will be a bit of recording session footage/discussion of the score in the full-length documentary (Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey). 

6 hours ago, Romão said:

– Deleted Scenes:
1. Finn And The Villager (0:31)
2. Jakku Message (0:47)
3. X-Wings Prepare For Lightspeed (0:22)
4. Kylo Searches The Falcon (0:50)
5. Snow Speeder Chase (0:48)
6. Finn Will Be Fine (0:23)

Also, those deleted scenes look like they will be very cool (although they are much shorter than I had hoped). Particularly "Snow Speeder Chase." On the musical side of things, is there precedent for Star Wars deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray/DVD having music? Those scenes listed above look like they could have some fantastic currently unreleased/unheard music. A new variation of the Resistance March in "X-Wings Prepare for Lightspeed", perhaps? Kyle's "tragic" motif in the scene of him on the Falcon? More great action scoring in the snow chase? I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but there are certainly some exciting possibilities. Do you think we can expect to hear more Williams music in those deleted scenes on the release?

I think some unreleased percussive overlays were used in the ROTS deleted scenes. The ones from the opening sequence on Grievous' ship.

So I was being overly optimistic with my 10 minute guess. Wow.

I am sure ther would have been so much they could have discussed about the scoring on the documentary but alas the music isn't the main attraction.

Oh and those deleted scenes seem very short but if they do feature new music at least that will be interesting. I know Abrams likes to keep up a snappy pace in his films but snow speeder chase of 48 seconds seems a bit short even by his standards. Could it take place when the heroes are trying to get from the hill where they land Falcon on Starkiller base to the actual generator/oscillator facility?