The Force Awakens Blu Ray special features include 7 minute music featurette "The Seventh Symphony"

rpvee

Well that was a pointless mini- documentary. Is that seriously the entire dvd behind the scenes of the score? 6:51 minutes... It told us nothing and showed none of his process. Where is the footage of him playing a theme to J.J for the first time or of him actually talking to the orchestra and shaping the performance etc? I'm glad I don't own a bluray player.

Maybe JW is protective of his process and doesn't want long docs or featurettes about his work? I've only ever seen 1 truly indepth look at him working, that Empire Strikes Back scoring documentary from way back when. Otherwise there really needs to be a LOTR style hour long doc on this score and many others.

Because I would have likely bought the dvd for the documentaries, if I had a bluray player. And judging by that, it would be a waste of money.

2 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Maybe JW is protective of his process and doesn't want long docs or featurettes about his work? I've only ever seen 1 truly indepth look at him working, that Empire Strikes Back scoring documentary from way back when. Otherwise there really needs to be a LOTR style hour long doc on this score and many others.

Perhaps yes, but he has spoken enough about it, just we haven't seen much. Maybe it's the simple explanation; that despite all their talk, the producers and disney don't appreciate the fans enough to give us something more in-depth with actually interesting insights.

I don't know how many more of them I can do, but having kept up with them this long I feel very fortunate indeed to have been able to do it.

- John Williams

Doesn't sound like a man who's moved on or handed over the baton; rather patiently waiting to see if he can keep going before committing.

I'd say he's a shoe-in for VIII and he's patiently waiting for the first cut in August/September. The optimist in me hopes for recording sessions before the end of the year.

I was sure that the quote about Kathleen Kennedy announcing Williams' involvement had referred to all 3 upcoming movies, but I looked for it again, and it only mentions Episode VII.

I still think that only health problems will stop him doing the next two. Spielberg and Kennedy work so closely together that that I can't see any scheduling problems happening.

Most of us who aren't paranoid doomsayers understand that he's in this thing until he is physically unable.  I can't picture Williams abandoning the series for any other reason.

Yeah the featurette was underwhelming to say the least but it's still a nice piece. Better than nothing I suppose -_-

I guess it's enough for most people who would be buying the Blu-Ray.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2016 at 1:55 AM, Marcus said:

The four note motif in question recurrs throughout the score (and not only in the first reel), always in conjunction with the First Order. I'll try to provide timestamps shortly!

Could you please provide time stamps for what you believe to be the First Order theme? I'd be really interested. 

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He's talking about Ren's theme I guess

No. It's neither of Ren's themes. It's a separate, sinister four-note motif; two falling notes followed by two rising ones (b3-2-4-b5, if you speak music). It's heard throughout the score. Hope someone can beat me to the timestamps..

Okay; listening through the OST just now, a quick few statements:

Track 1, @ ca. 01.47 (right with the ostinato), and again @ ca. 04.11

Track 20, @ ca. 00.29

The motif in question is clearly related to Snoke's music...

I hear it!

Yeah, so that has to be related to the First Order somehow. And Snoke's theme seems to turn that motif into a kind of "hymn" for the First Order. 

Nice. I hear it too, and in Snoke's piece yeah. I would say it's not a First Order motif, but more a Snoke motif; like Williams giving us a sense of Snoke being behind the First Order and Ren's actions.

Exactly!

I just noticed another interesting appearance, this time for Kylo Ren's theme. In "Han and Leia" at 2:52, we can hear a variation of Kylo Ren's theme in "The Jedi Steps and Finale" at 4:12.

On 3.3.2016 at 9:08 AM, Stefancos said:

Williams will never get "Shore" levels of attention, sadly.

Shore didn't get the attention he deserved on the Hobbit.

And the DoS documentary was well deserved, Desolation of Smaug is ten times more original than Episode VII.

What's with your ridiculous comments on Middle-Earth lately, did Shore refuse you sexually recently?

On 4/23/2016 at 0:14 PM, Marcus said:

Okay; listening through the OST just now, a quick few statements:

Track 1, @ ca. 01.47 (right with the ostinato), and again @ ca. 04.11

Track 20, @ ca. 00.29

The motif in question is clearly related to Snoke's music...

Thanks for the time stamps! This score is so wonderfully complex, a true masterpiece -- it's incredible that we're still uncovering new themes months after its release (well, Marcus found this one right away, but for me it's a new discovery since I hadn't been able to find it without the time stamps). Also, I now look at the Snoke material in a new light -- I realize there was much more intelligence behind its composition than I had thought initially.

Do you guys think it is pure coincidence, or is it like that on purpose? Because those two phrases (especially second one) have been bugging me since the first time I have heard Rey's Theme. I also haven't seen it mentioned on the forums earlier, but might have as well missed it. My guess is that Williams is giving us clue about Rey's bloodline here. Am I over-interpreting?

rey.mp3

According to this article, if you own The Force Awakens on iTunes, a new special feature has been made available you can stream

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/04/23/star-wars-the-force-awakens-rey-costume/

Has anyone checked it for new unreleased music?

14 hours ago, Bill said:

Thanks for the time stamps! This score is so wonderfully complex, a true masterpiece -- it's incredible that we're still uncovering new themes months after its release (well, Marcus found this one right away, but for me it's a new discovery since I hadn't been able to find it without the time stamps). Also, I now look at the Snoke material in a new light -- I realize there was much more intelligence behind its composition than I had thought initially.

Yeah, and I'm curious about what we could find in unreleased music :D