French Horn Tribute to John Williams [ 2016 REMASTERED ]

Marc

Stupendous work as always Marc! I really like that you construct these tributes with such thought with ear for transitions and giving the piece a sort of spine in the form of Mutt's theme from KotCS to which the tribute always comes back to yet not slavishly so. And the playing is equally impressive as the arrangements. Bravo yet again!

23 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Stupendous work as always Marc! I really like that you construct these tributes with such thought with ear for transitions and giving the piece a sort of spine in the form of Mutt's theme from KotCS to which the tribute always comes back to yet not slavishly so. And the playing is equally impressive as the arrangements. Bravo yet again!

if you knew how the arrangements of the tributes to williams have been done you'll not beleive it !

i STILL don't beleive it myself lol ! i told it before, Marc is not a genious, he's just completly crazy :D , the kind of craziness pretty rare this day in the music field unfortunatly !

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

Thank you !

I wanted to do so something a bit different with this one and building it around Mutt's Theme seemed like an interesting idea. I also wanted it to feature several JW non-score works which I've always loved and have rarely been covered !

40 minutes ago, Marc said:

Would you guys have any ideas/requests for Part 6 ?

"Hide and Seek" from A.I

"Look Down" from Rosewood

"The Ballroom" from The Witches of Eastwick

And of course some of the new stuff from after 2008.

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Would you guys have any ideas/requests for Part 6 ?

Rey's Theme of course.  But also maybe a couple of themes from The BFG like the main theme and the 'To Giant Country' melody.  Oooh, and the 'Liberty Fanfare'.  These videos are so so cool.

EDIT: I'm still going through these so forgive if you've done this but I think the 'Banquet' theme from Hook would be lovely for horn.

Thanks for all the cool suggestions guys ! Keep'em coming ;)

I definitely want Part 6 to feature the latest scores from the 2010's that I haven't covered yet.

About The Witches of Eastwick, I just remembered that I demoed Devil's Dance for Part 3 but in the end couldn't make it work within the medley... The Ballroom  would sound pretty cool too !

• 7 months later...

I'm speechless. Unbelievable stuff. As much as I love JW,doing the same on trumpet wouldn't work as well. Horn quartet is an amazing ensemble to write for. Please tell me you have a high paying job in an orchestra. You certainly deserve it. 

Cheers

5 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

I'm speechless. Unbelievable stuff. As much as I love JW,doing the same on trumpet wouldn't work as well. Horn quartet is an amazing ensemble to write for. Please tell me you have a high paying job in an orchestra. You certainly deserve it. 

Cheers

Oh yeah. I wish you played in our orchestra...our principal horn is not really strong. 

26 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

Cheers

Oh yeah. I wish you played in our orchestra...our principal horn is not really strong. 

I could answer to these questions for Marc, but as i'm not Marc (no kidding lol)  i'll let him answer you (:P) but i can tell you that you'll be surprised by the answer !

On 03/03/2017 at 11:06 PM, Marc said:

Here is the full-length version of the Home Alone bit from Part 1 :)

That would has been funny if you would have weared (???) a diffeerent shirt for each take :D.

On 05/03/2017 at 2:47 AM, ricsim88 said:

Horn quartet is an amazing ensemble to write for.

Definitely !

There aren't a lot of instruments which in a quartet context offer this many possibilities in terms of range and expression.

Trombone/tuba won't go as high as a horn, trumpet is limited in the low register as are most of the woodwinds, and same goes for strings !

Except for cello which would kind of be the equivalent of the horn, strong in both low and high registers

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 04/12/2017 at 9:55 PM, Jay said:

Nice job with the Steven's Fix insert, too!

Thanks man !

This must have been discussed here already but... do we know how that fix insert came to happen ? Like what Steven told JW when he wanted those 4 bars re-scored ?

So we can only assume he thought the original version wasn't (not sure what the correct term would be) "intense" enough? Or "emotional" enough ?

I got used to that insert with time but I still prefer the original version

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Marc said:

The Asteroid Field played by no less than... 24 horns :P

Easily the most insane I've done in terms of range :mrgreen: 

After the serenity, the insanity :) (guys, check his recording of David Newman's Sernity too, it's amazing !!)

6 hours ago, Marc said:

The Asteroid Field played by no less than... 24 horns :P

Easily the most insane I've done in terms of range :mrgreen: 

This absolutely made my day, @Marc. A fresh perspective on what may well be the single greatest action cue of all time. (Forgive the hyperbole, but it's true!)