BloodBoal

the trylogy has to be consistently a big hit in order for them to award the third film like they did with LOTR.

But the odds of Williams getting another oscar are very low. Lower even for a star wars film.

Sadly.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

I can't wait to hear the major key rendition of Kylo's theme that plays when he's redeemed.  

Williams already explored Kylo's Theme, under his pseudonym; Gregson-Williams.

6 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

He issss so baa - aaad... ve - eee -ry baa - aaad...

But it's very very saa - aaad... maybe he is not so baa- aaad....

Johnny should have this translated to sanskrit and write it for male choir. An authentic Star Wars choral fanfare.

I could see it happening for IX if he doesn't receive one beforehand (and nobody else nominated has an exotic surname and a 30 minute solo piano score). 

There would be fewer achievements greater in the history of film scoring than what Williams could achieve with 3 trilogies of music for the one series. 

Ah. Speculation time again?

At this point, I seriously doubt he's going to do another STAR WARS movie. My best guess is that other composers will be hired for the remaining films, and build upon Williams' style and themes. There's simply too much music, and too much complicated/timeconsuming music, in each of these, and it requires more energy than can be expected from a man in his mid to late 80s at that point. Instead, I think he will be focussing on more concert works as well as "slightly leaner" scores for Spielberg projects in the years to come. Sorta what Morricone is doing these days.

As for another Oscar win....sure,  I can see that happening. But whatever it is, it doubt it's going to stand alongside the brilliance of his previous 5 wins -- all classics!

48 minutes ago, Thor said:

At this point, I seriously doubt he's going to do another STAR WARS movie. My best guess is that other composers will be hired for the remaining films, and build upon Williams' style and themes. There's simply too much music, and too much complicated/timeconsuming music, in each of these, and it requires more energy than can be expected from a man in his mid to late 80s at that point. Instead, I think he will be focussing on more concert works as well as "slightly leaner" scores for Spielberg projects in the years to come. Sorta what Morricone is doing these days.

I doubt that, to be honest. We've certainly seen no evidence of such an intention.

He's already in his mid 80s and happily agreed to a post-production schedule that saw him write nearly 3 hours of music for TFA. Nothing indicates a musician slowing down or disinterested in the series.

He continually reiterates how fortunate he feels to have been part of the series for so long, so unless something drastic has changed then I don't see the status quo changing.

Unless VIII is absolute garbage...

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I doubt that, to be honest. We've certainly seen no evidence of such an intention.

Care to make a bet?

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You quoted my comment saying you eanted to make a bet. Therefore I assume you know something I do not?

What is the basis of your assumptions?

What I said in the first post. I know no more than anyone else -- just a fair evaluation based on where he is in his life, what we've seen in terms of output in the last couple of years, what is required of a STAR WARS score and so on. Bets are usually made when one thinks one scenario is more likely than another. It's not about evidence or truths.

You overestimate what is needed for a Star Wars score though.

TFA was written over a period of about 7 months, but Williams didn't work full stop on it. And he was supposed to do Bridge Of Spies in between.

That schedule apparently had more to do with JJ then anything else. Its not typical at all of how Williams usually works.

Not to mention, I recall Williams called the writing schedule for TFA "luxurious."  Doesn't seem like that was the type of high-pressure project to make him bow out of the series, even in his old age.

Episode IX could possibly get something, but only if the audience is not hit by SW fatigue by then. Its possible the franchise will join the likes of the Marvel pics by then, and won't be as much of a force during awards season.

TFA was JW's best chance at getting another Oscar for SW.

I don't see JW winning another Oscar for the rest of his career outside of maybe a lifetime achievement one (if he doesn't have one already) because his entire career has been Oscar worthy. But for a competitive Oscar? I just don't see it happening. Memoirs was his last great hope and he lost to rougly 14 minutes of acoustic guitar iirc.

But he didn't win for all those ones we wanted him to win for, like AI, PS, POA, Memoirs, TinTin, War Goose, or TFA!

But he didn't win for all those ones we wanted him to win for, like AI, PS, POA, Memoirs, TinTin, War Goose, or TFA!

4 minutes ago, Drax said:

You can say that again!

On 3/11/2016 at 5:48 AM, Thor said:

As for another Oscar win....sure,  I can see that happening. But whatever it is, it doubt it's going to stand alongside the brilliance of his previous 5 wins -- all classics!

I do enjoy that his 4 original wins are not just clear best-of-the-year stuff as the award is intended, but also happen to be consensus "essentials" in Williams' oeuvre AND film scoring in general. Somebody could pick any one of those as their #1 all-time favorite film score and really nobody would be surprised. It's a neat bit of trivia, I think that's gotta be unique for somebody to win that many Oscars and for all of them to be generally considered iconic or defining works for both that person and the larger field. It's a rare novelty when it even happens once!

Very true! Even very few of the greats have had that privilege (Steiner, Rozsa, Herrmann, etc). All 4 of JW's original wins are career-defining and Hollywood musical legacy-defining works.