The Towering Inferno & JFK coming from LLL!

Amer

7 minutes ago, azahid said:

MV Gerhard has officially confirmed on FSM that THE TOWERING INFERNO is upcoming from LLL:

" I am stating this right now -- Towering IS happening, but do not expect it for 2016"

He also added earlier:

"Some fantastic Williams planned, though...and a smattering of some other fantastic composers ranging from Mancina to Mancini!"

Could this finally be the year for Potter?

Im wondering whats preventing it from making it this year, however. I suspect the reissue will be a 2cd set with the LP album master . Probably the licensing rights of the LP  may be preventing this from happening just this year. Oh well, but at least the cat is outta the bag and time to rejoice. And also we hope to got at least two more titles THIS year (if all goes well).

Yes, it's all very pretty, Bishop, but what does it mean?

What, exactly, is different from this release, compared to the 2001 release?

If it's a straight re-release, then I'd welcome it, if only for the opportunity for more JWfaners to hear it without the need to shell-out $100 for the privilege.

Does the new release offer more, or remastered, music?

I think there is a good chance they have found better tapes in the intervening years. I am hoping for a completely new programme with improved sound.

It's true that mastering/rematering techniques have improved over the last 15 years, or so. Listen to the original "1" CD, and then listen to the same CD that was re-released last November...WOW! I'm not sure, however, that one could get that much more information out of "TTI". The whole thing sounds a bit "fragile", if you know what I mean, and anyway, my (equal) favourite cue is "damaged", which should give you an indication of how the rest of the score has fared. That being said, I look forward to listening to whatever LLL cames up with (apparently the new(ish) downloads of the OST sound great).

Also, there's not that much more music to release; the pop music that plays on the kid's headphones, the music heard as Steve McQueen shakes hands with the fireman, some source cues ("The More I See You", etc.) and this mysterious "Overture", that I have read about, but never heard. As far as I remember, there was no entr'acte, or intermission music.

Who knows what they might unearth. Since I don't own the FSM release or am inclined to buy the digital download OST, I certainly welcome a new release of the score.

Just now, Incanus said:

Who knows what they might unearth. Since I don't own the FSM release or am inclined to buy the digital download OST, I certainly welcome a new release of the score.

Ditto

The nice thing about MV telling us about this now is that current owners of the FSM release can sell it off to people who haven't learned of the upcoming version yet for $50-$500 or so, and then use $30 of that to pick up the new one.

Dammit -- there goes my chance of selling my FSM copy of INFERNO for exorbitant prices! ;) But it's not for sale, and I'm not going to replace it with this new release either. But I'm happy for those of you who don't have it, and who can now get it for a reasonable price again.

I sold mine some 6 years ago for a good price back then only because I needed the money for my LA trip.( And it was worth it indeed) Looking forward to the LLL release which will be remastered (hopefully by veteran Mike Mattessino) Honestly hoping that the LP content is part and parcel of this as a 2cd package. It will be worth the wait next year.....

3 minutes ago, azahid said:

I sold mine some 6 years ago for a good price back then only because I needed the money for my LA trip.( And it was worth it indeed) Looking forward to the LLL release which will be remastered (hopefully by veteran Mike Mattessino) Honestly hoping that the LP content is part and parcel of this as a 2cd package. It will be worth the wait next year.....

Smart move! I guess I knew the score would be reissued some day, but as a JW completist I couldn't rid myself of the FSM release on that hunch alone. I may have lost $500 or something, but in the scheme of things, I'm glad I kept it.

The dramatic scoring is excellent, the main title and planting the charges sequences among the highlights. The elevator music is well actual elevator music. Very much in line with the scoring of the two other disaster extravaganzas Williams did in that period, a mix of strong orchestral writing and pop sensibilities of the times.

25 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Is it better than his 2010's output?

Nah.

Good news for JFK fans also. MV has kindly confirmed at FSM (same thread) that it is indeed coming from LLL ( next year or later)

"JFK -- 2017 or later
POLICE ACADEMY 2 - 2017 or later

Like I stated we do have some more Goldsmith and Williams in the works for 2016. We'll see what happens"

Im over the moon that we have some semblance of a time frame here.

Wow looks good.

I hope that if they are announcing Towering and JFK means that they cannot be cancelled...

The 2016 score could still be pulled it seems. (otherwise i suppose they would have revealed them instead of the other two scores...)

Arent we still waiting for 'Conan the Destroyer' :/

Oh Steef, dont get horny, but JFK is another hole in my collection. :P