The Towering Inferno & JFK coming from LLL!

Amer

I think JFK is my favorite of Williams' scores for Oliver Stone. Although of course Born on the 4th of July is outstanding.

I need to read someone's spirited defense of Nixon, a score I've never been able to latch on to much.

30 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think JFK is my favorite of Williams' scores for Oliver Stone. Although of course Born on the 4th of July is outstanding.

I need to read someone's spirited defense of Nixon, a score I've never been able to latch on to much.

Well here are some of my ramblings on the subject of Nixon from years back. A very deft musical portrait of the complex character and music presages much of the gothic darkness that would infuse the Maestro's post 2000 scores but also gorgeous melodies, some of which made their way in transformed forms into e.g. the Prequels. Alas quite a few of these moments were left off the album.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Nixon is excellent, and the one I've always more or less grasped as a whole. Born on the 4th of July is great (and the last track is amazing), but at least on CD it's short and made up of too "individual" cues that always feel more like a suite than a "full score" to me. JFK I'd neglected for far too long until I finally picked up the album a year ago or so (so of course a new release was now inevitable). I've since come to love the theme, but I still barely remember the rest.

But I've long held Nixon in high regard with several standout tracks like the engaging title cue and the sublime Meeting With Mao.

On 3/17/2016 at 10:12 PM, azahid said:

MV Gerhard has officially confirmed on FSM that THE TOWERING INFERNO is upcoming from LLL:

" I am stating this right now -- Towering IS happening, but do not expect it for 2016"

He also added earlier:

"Some fantastic Williams planned, though...and a smattering of some other fantastic composers ranging from Mancina to Mancini!"

Arabesque, please.

I will skip this. It is a fine score though. I was so disappointed in the Jaws 2, kind of nice but

it sounds so old. It doesn't matter how much they re-mix or what(I do not knot the right word)

it's still bad recording/small orchestra/orchestration.

And people don't like his newer stuff where EVERYTHING is perfect. Weird people.

I'm grateful that MV has given us an indication of what's in the works so we can plan accordingly.

As for JFK, I'm curious if the future release will contain versions of those "gentle" cues where they actually continue in that style instead of fading into dissonant rumbling (e.g. the piano solo version of the JFK theme).

I totally understand where Williams was coming from in having those pieces deteriorate they way they did, and I love how he's experimenting with form and style. Yet it would still be a nice indulgence to have a version that was... um... -OK, I'll say it - "predictable and safe".

On 19/3/2016 at 8:46 PM, Thor said:

JFK? I didn't think there was much unreleased music there, for those who care about such things.

There is roughly between 10-15 minutes of  unreleased music. This a great score and in my opinion worth a study as well. I love what's on the OST but it is represented somewhat as a jumbled up mess with various source cues. It would be nice to have a new presentation with all the music cues flowing into each other and segregating the source music separately. If they find any alternates then it would make this set even more interesting. It was reported in the old print issue of FSM magazine that some bloke from Australia had done a major thesis on it for his college. I wonder if it was ever uploaded on the internet. It might hold some clues as to exactly how this score was recorded. We know that for a fact that Williams did not conduct  the music directly to the film itself.

50 minutes ago, azahid said:

There is roughly between 10-15 minutes of  unreleased music. This a great score and in my opinion worth a study as well. I love what's on the OST but it is represented somewhat as a jumbled up mess with various source cues. It would be nice to have a new presentation with all the music cues flowing into each other and segregating the source music separately. If they find any alternates then it would make this set even more interesting. It was reported in the old print issue of FSM magazine that some bloke from Australia had done a major thesis on it for his college. I wonder if it was ever uploaded on the internet. It might hold some clues as to exactly how this score was recorded. We know that for a fact that Williams did not conduct  the music directly to the film itself.

Yes it is a great score but it is difficult to say for certain how much of it is unreleased because it is so extensively edited by Stone and there might be material that never made it to the film. The Boston Globe interview back in 1992 gives the impression JW wrote six thematic suites based on his viewing of an hour of the footage, his impressions of the script, visiting the sets in Dallas and discussions with Stone. But as even the OST testifies there are more pieces on the album and it seems he did score some of the scenes quite specifically, like some of the opening sections that include some unreleased music. So it will be very interesting to hear and see what possible additions might appear on the future release of the score.

Also the Canadian composer duo tomandandy provided additional music for the film.

• 2 weeks later...

Still have my copy of the FSM, that main title is so clearly a precursor of The Chase Through Coruscant, that bit in The Falcon, et al. Hard to compare the rest of the score with it it's such a career highlight. Hope they do expand the sonics, which never quite did it for me.

On 17/03/2016 at 0:12 AM, azahid said:

MV Gerhard has officially confirmed on FSM that THE TOWERING INFERNO is upcoming from LLL:

" I am stating this right now -- Towering IS happening, but do not expect it for 2016"

Okay, great! But if they're (already) anticipating this and JFK, then it means there won't be ANY Williams release this year, right???

You didn't read the full quote carefully enough.  MV said there IS Williams coming this year, but not Inferno or JFK, as those are planned for 2017 or later.

We don't know what the title(s) planned for this year are, yet.

The Patriot would be nice. Quite a bit of unreleased music there and I really like Johnny in full-steam bloated sugar-rush fanfare Americana flag-waving patriotic mode.

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

...and Roland Emmerich having the Brits locking people in churches, and burning them. It never happened.

Ushered in another one of Johnny's strong elegiac string writing eras which continues to this day. He has done a whole lot of lamenting in the past 15 years in his music.

On 20/3/2016 at 8:06 AM, azahid said:

There is roughly between 10-15 minutes of  unreleased music.

the Williams music in the ost is around 36 minutes.

the music in the film (except for the souce cues) is around 95 minutes, including just a few tracked music i think.

So, as you see the unreleased music is much more, although most of it is nondescript background music.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

...and Roland Emmerich having the Brits locking people in churches, and burning them. It never happened.

Who cares?! It's peak-stardom Mel Gibson kicking ass to patriotic Williams music!  Besides, you shouldn't go to an Emmerich movie looking for any semblance of accuracy.  My favorite Emmerich movie has Jake Gyllenhaal running away from cold air! That's insane! :D

I also wouldn't mind The Patriot.  A score that is quite good that could be better appreciated in expanded form, like Rosewood.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

My favorite Emmerich movie has Jake Gyllenhaal running away from cold air! That's insane! :D

I too am a fan of that particular movie.

Count me in! Except for when he does dramas (Stonewall and that Shakespeare conspiracy movie), those are always not-in-a-fun-way terrible.  But yeah, Stargate, ID4, The Patriot, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, White House Down. All really fun popcorn movies.

It's one of my favorites by Emmerich. Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx make a fun team.  It's certainly better than the similar Olympus Has Fallen, which came out the same year.

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

the Williams music in the ost is around 36 minutes.

the music in the film (except for the souce cues) is around 95 minutes, including just a few tracked music i think.

So, as you see the unreleased music is much more, although most of it is nondescript background music.

Also take into consideration that some of the sound design-like material might come from the Canadian duo of composers Tomandandy, who are listed as composers of additional music.

On 05 April 2016 at 1:03 PM, Richard said:

JW should lament the day he ever met Roland Emmerich. Oh, and JJ Abrams.

On 05 April 2016 at 3:08 PM, Stefancos said:

Why?

Neither of them could direct traffic, never mind a major motion picture.

I was around the impressionable 10-year-old part of my childhood when Emmerich was at his peak in the mid-1990s, so his movies back then shaped a major part of my formative years. But I noticed a significant drop in quality when I saw The Day After Tomorrow. I thought it was a blip, so I moved on. Then 10,000BC happened, which was fucking terrible. Then 2012 - a bit better but still boring and lame as hell. And I was like, this bloke's getting really lazy. I watched White House Down on Foxtel and gave up. It was mildly entertaining, but I can't stand CGI helicopters in movies - not when I've seen so many real ones in film.

I'm prepared for the worst this year.

I love his GODZILLA, second only to the Gareth Edwards film (I don't care about any of the other ones). He's had a couple of misses -- the Shakespeare film and WHITE HOUSE DOWN both felt unfillied, IMO -- but otherwise I've pretty much liked everything he's done.