The Towering Inferno & JFK coming from LLL!

Amer

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2016 at 8:26 AM, azahid said:

Ok guys Its September already. We are now headed towards the Fall release schedule and MV had indicated to me that Williams releases timeline for LLL 2016 being  October and November.  This was from the April timeline. So unless things get further delayed to December, I think we can play around with a few guesses. Of-course TOWERING INFERNO & JFK wont happen until next year.

I would guess that HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S/PHILOSOPHER'S STONE could fairly be the very next title to get the upgraded expansion? 

And Maybe  WITCHES OF EASTWICK finally may happen?

So what do we think is the most likely candidate for a JW release from LLL coming out this year?

We know its not JFK or Towering Inferno.

I was looking at this thread to see what film studios LLL works with often.

Fox is easy to work with by any label, but other than Towering Inferno, none of those seem like likely candidates.  SpaceCamp is in print by Intrada, Book Thief is too new, and Paper Chase and Conrack are too short.  One film that I had previously though impossible that could be it is Minority Report.  It's kind of in the same category as A.I. Artificial Intelligence - that one was distributed by WB in the US, and Dreamworks internationally, and Dreamworks had never had an expanded score released before.  When AI happened, I realized that Minority Report could be possible - that one is distributed to Fox in the US, and Dreamworks internationally, so basically the same state as AI but with a different studio.  Luckily, LLL works with box studios.

Disney pretty much only works with Intrada, so Nixon's out.

The only Williams titles left at MGM are Fiddler on the Roof and Stanley and Iris.  Stanley and Iris is Varese property in perpetuity, so it can't be that.  I doubt its Fiddler either, but its possible!  It's the 45th anniversary this year, as well.

LLL has released a lot of Paramount titles, since they opened the Paramount gates with Airplane!.  I think The Reivers, Sabrina, or Angela's Ashes are all possible!  I'm not sure how much unreleased music exists for any of those, though.

LLL has worked with Sony a few times before, notably on their Hook expansion 4 years ago.  I have no idea if any elements exist for older scores like Daddy-O, Because They're Young, or Gidget Goes To Rome, or if those would sell enough to warrant the expense.  Could it be CE3K, Seven Years in Tibet, Stepmom, or The Patriot?  CE3K has its 40th anniversary next year, and Tibet has its 20th next year, and I doubt Stepmom would be a worthwhile investment, so I'm going to guess no on those, leaving The Patriot as the best guess from Sony.

Next up is Warner Brothers, a label LLL has a great relationship with.  Of course we got Empire of the Sun, Rosewood, and AI Artificial Intelligence form them, but LLL has also released a ton of WB titles by other composers, including a special branded 90th Anniversary line and an ongoing Expanded Archival Collection line.  So, let's start with what it couldn't be: It can't be The Cowboys, as Varese snatched up perpetuity right.  It can't be The Accidental Tourist, and the FSM edition is still in print.  It can't be JFK, as we know that's planned for 2017 or later.  It's also predicted that Varese has perpetuity rights to Presumed Innocent as well.  So what does that leave?

I think The Witches of Eastwick is a very strong possibility.  MV posted in the past that they wanted to expand it but Robin Esterhammer got the rights before he could, and his Perseverance Records label did a straight re-issue of the OST program.  Now that the Perseverance release is OOP, did LLL snag up the rights?  I think its likely!  It should be noted, though, that next year is the 20th anniversary, so maybe they'd wait for that.  

Another possibility is Sleepers, which has its 20th anniversary this year.  I have no idea how much unreleased music there is, though.  Of course, the big kahuna in the Warner Brothers catalog is Harry Potter.  Has the big WB finally allowed a specialty label to work on their biggest franchise?  Let's hope so!  This year is not only the 15th anniversary of the new film, but the next chapter of their franchise is opening in theaters, so it'd be a good time to begin re-issuing the old scores, I'd say.  Fingers crossed!

And that brings us to our final studio, Universal.  LLL hasn't released a lot of Universal titles at all, but they released a very important one, and that's 1941, the first Williams/Spielberg expansion by a specialty label.  As far as I know Varese still has the rights to Earthquake, The Eiger Sanction, and Dracula.  And supposedly JW still doesn't want The Sugarland Express to be released.  What about his older scores?  Could LLL have found elements for The Secret Ways, The Killers, The Rare Breed, The Plainsman, Sergeant Ryker, Story of a Woman, The Screaming Woman, or Pete 'n' Tillie?

There are many tantalizing newer scores in the Williams / Universal catalog as well - E.T., The River, Born on the Fourth of July, Always, Far and Away, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, and The Lost World.  How amazing would it be if LLL and Matessino teamed up for any of those?

So I guess after going through all that, I still have no idea what this year's title could be.  If I had to pick the five most likely candidates, I think I'd have to go with

1 Far and Away [Universal]

2 Minority Report [Fox]

3 The Patriot [Sony]

4 The Reivers [Paramount]

5 Sleepers [WB]

But I really have no idea at all.

Good deductive reasoning up there, Jason. Those reading the analysis could logically surmise would could be the next JW release from LLL boys.

I would think that both Warner and Sony seem possible choice for this year. It would be astounding news if JURASSIC PARK scores were part of this years batch. Also I think WAR OF THE WORLD expansion could also be a good contender. But I'am strongly betting on HARRY POTTER ! 

And with LLL's  recent penchant for re-issuing albums with better sources (such as BATMAN, HOME ALONE) it would be a rather nice welcome to have HOOK remastered with all the missing bits and better edits to put the definitive cap on.

But like Jason, besides having a hunch or two " .. have no idea at all " ;)

Good point about War of the Worlds too.  Now that we know Dreamworks films distributed in the US by a major studio is possible thanks to the release of AI Artificial Intelligence (Warner Brothers US), that should theoretically mean others are possible; Specifically: Minority Report (Fox US), War of the Worlds (Paramount US) and Munich (Universal US).

I don't know if films distributed by Dreamworks themselves are possible; That would be Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, and Memoirs of a Geisha.

The selfish person in me doesn't want to see TOWERING INFERNO reissued -- because then I can pride myself in owning the rare FSM release that goes for hundreds of dollars on the secondary market. But then there's that other guy who says the score should be widely available to everyone. Let's see who wins in the end. :)

I am a huge John Williams fan, and want to own every score he's written on pressed CD.  I missed out on Towering Inferno, and am not going to pay hundreds of dollars for a used copy.

I am glad LLL is reissuing it, and I don't even care if its complete/expanded or not.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think that's a pretty strong candidate for their 2016 release

Absolutely stunning smaller moments among the unreleased material. It is Williams at his most heartachingly lyrical.

Agreed. The music that plays while the children are playing in the woods, at the start of the film, is great.

4 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I want the Lost World, Philosopher's Stone, or Prisoner of Azkaban.

Or? OR?!

Fuck that, I want all of 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harry Potter scores would be welcome, especially since you know that within a few years you would finally get to the coveted POA (provided that they release in order, which they most certainly will)

Would absolutely adore a proper comprehensive E.T. release with remastered OST album.

Far and Away would be amazing, and probably my #2 preference after E.T.

I would also be perfectly happy with Born on the Fourth of July, Seven Years in Tibet, Minority Report or The Patriot.

As far as Saving Private Ryan is concerned, is there a lot of missing music?  Don't really see that being expanded any time soon.

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Apart from ET AMONG THE TOYS, THE QUIET MAN, and the 1982 "OST", is there much to release from ET?

What exists from the sessions?

See here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QpVGzKLbN19_Tw2lwEU7LVglmqL3ogBrUWhTVUwHjww/pubhtml

Essentially, you'd have a 2CD set.  Disc 1 would be the complete film sore from start to finish, with the film version of every cue where there is more than one to choose from.

Disc 2 would be the entire 1982 LP program, followed by all the alternate versions that exist of film cues.  

It would be glorious.

The full score badly needs a good remaster, and I imagine the great sound of the LP programme could also be cleaned up a bit. I have the three existing releases and I'd happily pick up a new one for both these reasons.

Why remaster the ET OST when it sounds great on CD anyway? It's one of my reference discs when testing hi-fi systems. Instead, just rip the .wav files from the old CD and repress it into a new release. Would save a lot of work.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Louder? Just turn you amp up to 11.

Brighter? No way. ET's got tons of bright, and loads of top-end. What it needs is more lower midrange, more guts.

Not what I meant. Since the 1990s, often a "remaster" of an existing album means that the audio's dynamic range is compressed, making quiet moments as loud as the loud moments. Otherwise known as the 'loudness war'.

This has been done to film scores to varying degrees, usually under the pretense that the music will "sound better" while listeners are driving or wearing earphones in public areas, but will make it sound flat, loud and wimpy while listening on a hi-fi.

Consequently, older releases of music become more highly sought after because they had better dynamic range and more punch.

On 2.10.2016 at 2:45 PM, Richard said:

So..to your ears, what sounds "better", the '82 release, or the '96/'02 release?

The '82 release is superior in every way. Obviously first and foremost because of the album program itself, but also the sound quality, IMO. A lovely "warm" quality that was never reproduced with the subsequent versions. I also have the 2002 release as part of the E.T. DVD gift box set, but I hardly ever play it.

Personally I prefer the  1996 edition because of its extra brightness and punch. The 2002 doesnt sound that great but i prefer it on my SACD edition where its a nice 5,1 mix and much warmer.

5 minutes ago, azahid said:

Personally I prefer the  2996 edition because of its extra brightness and punch. The 2002 doesnt sound that great but i prefer it on my SACD edition where its a nice 5,1 mix and much warmer.

You're a time traveler!

:lol: Time-difference not withstanding, it's still funny.

1 hour ago, azahid said:

Personally I prefer the  2996 edition because of its extra brightness and punch. The 2002 doesnt sound that great but i prefer it on my SACD edition where its a nice 5,1 mix and much warmer.

You have a SACD player?

Ah.  I don't own any SACDs so I've never really experimented with it.

Actually, I think one of my Weird Al CDs is a hyrbid CD / SACD.... I think I have a Dark Side of the Moon in that format too, can't remember now

LOL. SACD is an an under rated format but Id rather go for the blu ray 5.1 surround experience. The recently recorded OBSESSION from Tadlow is fun but not truly engaging. Varese has done some very impressive SACDs to date.Multi channel mixes on SACD do deliver the goods. 

10 hours ago, Jay said:

My Blu Ray player plays SACDs.

Jay, What you got? I have a Denon 1611 high end player Plays both SCAD & DVD-Audio formats.

13 hours ago, Richard said:

Any Blu Ray player can play SACDs, but not in 5.1. They can play matrix (with a Pro-Logic II decoder), but not discrete.

This is factually incorrect.

Most Blu-ray players will not play SA-CD.

However if you insert an hybrid SA-CD into a blu-ray player it will play the CD layer. But not the high resolution one.

SACD....ah, I remember that novelty from the late 90s or early 2000s, was it? To be honest, I couldn't hear much of a difference on the CD's I got in that format (and this before I got tinnitus!).

That's really the problem high resulution audio has and why it's never really taken off.

Most people can't really tell the difference.

In the late 90's if you bought a DVD player and hooked it up to even an old TV you could straight away see the enormous difference in picture quality to not only VHS, but standard TV broadcasts as well.

With high resolution audio the difference is far more subtle, and often requires you to invest not only in an SA-CD or DVD-A player, but also in a new amp and a set of high end speakers.