"Olympic Spirit" Played at Graduation

I wasn't really excited about graduation until I heard that our band would be playing John Williams' "Olympic Spirit". I knew this was a separate piece from the fanfare, but I was hoping that it'd pop towards the end or something. I was let down. But hey...I still think it's awesome they played Williams at my high school graduation!

I would've easily replaced it with the "Throne Room" cue from ANH, though. Just a repetition of that with some variations, kinda like the Hollywood Bowl CD from Decca. I was hoping there would be some kind of neat collaboration between the orchestra, band, and choir, but that didn't happen (DUEL OF THE FATES!!). "Hymn to the Fallen" would've been neat for them to have done, too.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My band will be playing some crummy ass arrangement of (duh) Pomp and Circumstance. I'm not sure where the arranger got the non-well known portion (the part everyone knows is only half the piece), but it sure ain't any of Elgar's P&C marches. They're also doing a pretty good arrangement of West Side Story. Our band has been known to do the Olympic Spirit though. A whopping 30 second arrangement (three lines).

That's cool! We played Olympic Fanfare and Theme last week at our band concert, and at graduation we'll be playing a John Williams arrangement including E.T., The Mission Theme, Imperial March, Star Wars Main Title, Cantina Band, Olympic Spirit, and Jaws. Good times!

Ray Barnsbury