Neil Davidge Sampled Elliot Goldenthal's Work from Titus

Zaralyyth

So there I was going through some old Goldenthal film sessions. I was browsing through Titus and low and behold I heard something which sounded eerily familiar. I couldn't quite place it. It took me a solid twenty minutes listening to this one short section of Goldenthal's work on repeat, and then it hit me. It was used.. perhaps even copied and pasted, into the track "Mantis" composed by Neil Davidge for Halo 4!

Here is a spectrogram comparison between [6M58] Titus Summons Kinsman (Elliot Goldenthal, 1999 -- Top 2) and Mantis (Neil Davidge, 2012 -- Bottom 2)

Capture.PNG

And here is a short 5 second audio comparison:

6M58 (1999) https://db.tt/KVZYzs7e
Mantis (2012) https://db.tt/noMCkYiF

Thoughts about this?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

I hope he credited Titus for the sample.  Poor Titus and its history of being ripped off...

I do not beleive he did. I could not find the due credit noted anywhere. Not from the composer, in the game, or elsewhere. The reprise for the Mantis theme for Halo 5, composed by Kazouma Jinnouchi also included the riff from Titus. With no credit added. 

Meh, Davidge's Halo effort was weak and is forgotten anyway. Marty O'Donnell is sorely missed from the franchise, although I doubt even he could save it from 343i. 

10 hours ago, Quintus said:

Meh, Davidge's Halo effort was weak and is forgotten anyway. Marty O'Donnell is sorely missed from the franchise, although I doubt even he could save it from 343i. 

I agree with that much. In fact, just from the samples Marty has put out for his new game, I can alrady tell the score is probably going to be great. And that's also probably why they didn't have Davidge return for Halo 5. Too much money for something that wasn't really working. Kazouma took Halo 5 in a nice direction I feel,  given the material he had to work with..

8 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The spectrogram is a lie!

No it isn't.