Favorite Golden Age Composer? (Poll)

Disco Stu

Favorite Golden Age Composer? (Poll)  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who among these choices is your favorite composer from Hollywood's Golden Age?

• Bernard Herrmann
    • Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    • Alfred Newman
    • Alex North
    • Miklós Rózsa
    • Max Steiner
    • Dimitri Tiomkin
    • Franz Waxman
    • Victor Young

Out of all the composers listed above: Herrmann and North are in a class of their own, no one else comes close. Herrmann was the most original of all Hollywood composers, but North the most progressive. When it comes to most of the other names, it is a fairly even battle, all of them except maybe Young have written some of the best film music of all time (I am not very familiar with Young though so he could have very well have written something impressive, but so far, I find him to perhaps be the kitschiest and least impressive Golden Age composer).

My ranking of the 9 Golden Age composers mentioned in the poll, going after whose film music I like the most:

1. Herrmann & North - it depends on the day who I prefer, but on most days, it is probably North. 

2. The rest, with Young ranked last.

Had Takemitsu and/or Rosenman been included then they would be in the top together/after North and Herrmann, but they are probably more of silver age composers.

Herrmann = North = Takemitsu > Rosenman >  the 7 other names

On 3/23/2016 at 9:27 AM, Thor said:

Waxman by a landslide!

Yup, agree with my 2016 post still. Waxman is in a class of his own, IMO.

But in my late teens and early 20s, as I was exploring Golden Age music properly for the first time, Korngold was the favourite.

12 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Could you elaborate on Rózsa more?

Rozsa had a distinctive voice.  His blend of Bartok/Stravinsky rhythmic sense, late romantic melodic sensibility, and a spirituality reminiscent of Bach and Bruckner really speaks to me, at least.  At its best, his music engages, especially apart from the medium for which it was written. 

20 hours ago, Thor said:

Yup, agree with my 2016 post still. Waxman is in a class of his own, IMO.

But in my late teens and early 20s, as I was exploring Golden Age music properly for the first time, Korngold was the favourite.

You should pay mote attention to your former self. ;)

• 2 months later...

I didn't realize this old thread of mine had been bumped earlier this year til this morning.  I wish I could've included some other composers, like maybe David Raksin and Herbert Stothart, but I think I got the major ones.

If I made the poll today, I'd have included Aaron Copland just for myself ;) 

I don't remember who I voted for then, but if I voted today it'd be for Tiomkin hands down.

They are all good, a better broader bunch than today perhaps however they are all lesser composers than John Williams. I originally chose Waxman but when I saw Steiner had no voted I backtracked and voted for him. Steiner deserves a vote simple because King Kong is such a masterpiece. But I hear Waxman's Bride score calling to me.

Screen-Shot-2012-02-14-at-11.18.09-PM.png

I actually went with Steiner. Simply for his understanding of drama and narrative.

For my money, Gone With The Wind is the greatest film score ever written. The themes are extraordinarily memorable and powerful, it has a beautiful leitmotif tapestry of several themes, and the music furthers the drama within the film. His Now Voyager score is great too and he practically invented film scoring with King Kong.

7 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

If only it wasn't outshone every time Dixie appears... but I guess no matter what Steiner would do, it is just impossible to stand one's ground against this tune

I think he stands up abaly! The most memorable theme is of course Tara's theme. I think Dixie has the haunting version for the opening crawl and when war is declared but otherwise doesn't feature much if I am not mistaken.