• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Watchmen

BvS

MOS

Dawn Of The Dead

Dawn of The Dead below MOS? Is it because you think it's a better movie or is it because zombies don't wear capes?

• 3 weeks later...

This video makes a valid point. In fact, you might say it lays bare the very root of the problem. A must-see for all Zack haters ... 

Alex

Just take a moment to appreciate how untimely it was releasing a Batman movie where Batman shoots a bunch of people with automatic weapons.

That fucking guy's video didn't even use the original E.T. moon shot. Putz.

On 7-8-2016 at 9:30 AM, Stefancos said:

Some good points, though this is a problem common in this kind of big budget film making nowadays. 

Did you watch the entire video and really understand what was said? It's very specific about Zack Snyder's cinematic style and how it so-called forms the core problem for all his movies. It's not applicable to most other movies or 'blockbusters in general' because they are not obsessed with trying to make every shot iconic and unforgettable. This is not about spectacular set pieces or CGI battles (they impress to but in a different way). I really acknowledge what he's saying about Zack Snyder but to me it's not a problem per se. I think it works wonderful in 300 and Watchmen where Snyder is pushing things through (his obsession, that is) a 100% of the time. For DC, Zack is holding back. It's like they asked a filmmaker who wants to paint unforgettable 'wow' shots/moments to make a normal movie where the story and characters prevail and artistry itself disappears (in favour of story and characters). So I do recognize what The Nerdwriter is saying but I don't think it's always a bad thing. After all, 2001: A Space Odyssey is pure visual obsession. In fact, it's so obsessed that millions of people have a problem with it. Its so-called flaw? It wants to create unforgettable moments. Whether Snyder reaches the same level as Kubrick is a different discussion.

Alex

Obviously Snyder isn't making the films he'd like to make, he's playing it safe. Staying in his comfort zone. He doesn't want to make these comic book movies. Must be saving up for a super yacht. 

• 2 months later...

We've been catching up on all the summer blockbuster we missed, and recently watched this for the first time (the UE).  While it's obviously flawed, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it given the negative fan reaction. I'm beginning to realise that I'm probably in the very small minority who really like the look at tone of the DC Universe.

Don't get me wrong, they still have things they could learn from Marvel/Disney in terms of Universe building, but in general I'm enjoying what they're doing. They're just trying too hard to play catch up. But I think I enjoyed BvS more than Civil War (pretty good) and X-Men Apocalypse (fairly lame).  Either way, Marvel/Disney and DC are way ahead of where FOX/X-Men is in their story telling.  

I think the last of the big summer tentpoles I haven't seen is ID4:R, which I'll check out soon.

9 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

We've been catching up on all the summer blockbuster we missed, and recently watched this for the first time (the UE).  While it's obviously flawed, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it given the negative fan reaction.

It's because the initial backlash was to the vastly inferior theatrical cut. The UE cut is much much much better. 

Where have you been? The extended cut is 3 hours long. The theatrical is 2,5 hours. Both contain bloat. But if you are gonna watch it I would advise the extended version. Which tells the same story, but better.

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

3 hours I can manage for an epic. But is this an epic? 

It's a superhero movie.

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

BvS is better than Civil War which to me felt way more messy. 

_88240023_messi.jpg

"Exactly, Alex!"

Civil War felt more messy and more pointless. Why are all these heroes fighting each other while they are all still friends? At least the conflict in BvS felt real.

They are fighting each other because comic book fans love seeing who would win.  That's the sort of questions that keeps them busy. It's very juvenile ... and messy. I fear that JL will suffer of the same pointless duels.

Quint the 3 hour cut is so much better at telling it's story it's by far the one to watch, even for a first time.  It is indeed long, but there's a good spot to pause it for a little intermission. It's one scene after a big car chase sequence roughly halfway through. 

It's what everyone says. That's why I still expected the extended cut (is it a DC?) to be a mess but much to my surprise Snyder made a very focused movie.