Hans Zimmer Retires from Superhero Genre

crumbs

Just now, Stefancos said:

But the writing style is very much modern Williams.

True, but it's closer to that style than anything else his written in the past 20 years.

Karol

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Won't happen, just like Williams will never return to his Jaws/Star Wars/Raiders style

You think those 3 scores showcase the same style?

I can broadly place those in the same era when it comes to Williams' career, and distinctly different from his 90's, 2000's and current work.

By incident or design Williams moved on, as has Zimmer from his Dropzone days.

Zimmer wrote plenty of non-action scores that sounded completely different in between those similar-sounding action heavyweights anyway

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, that is also a good point. And each one of Star Wars scores is very different from one another. Same with Indy.

Karol

The Indy ones are even more different because each has a completely new set of themes, reusing only the Raiders March.

Yeah the Ark Theme playing when they enter the warehouse at the beginning of KOTCS was one of my favorite theme reuses in that score.  Good stuff.

And of course the gorgeous version of Marion's Theme during the Wedding scene that segues beautifully to the Raiders March for the credits.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Yeah the Ark Theme playing when they enter the warehouse at the beginning of KOTCS was one of my favorite theme reuses in that score.  Good stuff.

Are you serious? I really hated that. Like I hate the reuse of Flight To Peru in that score.

With the previous 3 films EVERYTHING was new apart from the Raiders March. While the lazy Prequel like reuse? They might have just tracked the music from Raiders!

Bah!

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Using that as an insult is the most abhorrent thing I've seen you post around here. Blocked.

Result!

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The reused Ark theme statement might have been a tad disappointing but the quick variations during the warehouse chase brought a smile to my face.

Karol

Didnt I just say that?

24 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I fucking knew you were gonna pull those cameo's on me!

Where in TOD and TLC does Marion's Theme play?

The winky face was in my post because I was referring to Marion's Theme appearing in the 4th score, of course.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Down Syndrome?

WTF?

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Using that as an insult is the most abhorrent thing I've seen you post around here. 

Yea, I don't get why Stefan would do that.  Not cool.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Ah yes, easy to forget. That's not on the OST right?

Correct, not on the OST.  The KOCS OST is missing a ton of highlights.

Those of you who hunger for Zimmer to go back to his 90's action/drama stylings, look into the many non-blockbuster (read: European) scores that he's done over the last handful of years.  It's a world he routinely does go back to, just not in plain view.

I haven't liked any of those.  Of course, I'm not a teenager now like I was when all those 90s scores came out, either.

13 minutes ago, Sharky said:

*Ahem.*

Are you really re-pointing out something that was already pointed out right after his post?

11 hours ago, mstrox said:

Yeah, he's done with comic book movies until they add another 0 to the end of his paycheck.

I like Zimmer, but I'm okay with this.  I haven't cared much for MoS and Amazing Spider-man 2, so I'm ready for him to do something interesting/unexpected/god forbid QUIETER. 

Zimmer doesn't need money anymore. The interview even said the exact same thing and he shot it down instantly. Kind of insulting, really.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I'd like a return to the Drop Zone / Crimson Tide / Broken Arrow / The Rock style!

He's expressed disinterest in those old male chorus/power anthem days.

48 minutes ago, Drax said:

The buildy-uppy bit is there but not the whole thing.

That's the Man of Steel Fanfare!

23 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Really? He revisited that soundworld with MOS, ablate in a more nuanced, textural setting.

Since they quickly made two Sherlock films in 2009 and 2011 and haven't made any since, I think that franchise is done

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Since they quickly made two Sherlock films in 2009 and 2011 and haven't made any since, I think that franchise is done

http://www.lawyerherald.com/articles/25424/20160106/sherlock-holmes-3-update-producer-confirmed-film-plot-3rd-installment.htm

Principal photography on Infinity War runs from November 2016 to June 2017, so RDJ couldn't even start filming a third film until then; A third Sherlock film ain't coming out until late 2018 at the earliest.  Will anyone still care then?

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Cool! He wants to move on to things that currently interests/inspires him. I wish John Williams was more like that.