Hans Zimmer Retires from Superhero Genre

crumbs

Having just watched the full programme of which this was a part, it sounds like a very casual comment interpreted as an 'official announcement'. I think it's Zimmer's way of saying that he's done enough work in the superhero genre for now (thank god).

I've had other episodes of 'Hard Talk' on in the background, and this guy wasn't remotely as challenging to Zimmer as the show usually is. This comes across as essentially an interview about the current state of film music, whereas the show is meant to be about grilling someone on a really problematic issue and challenging their viewpoint, to an almost Paxman degree.

In fact with Zimmer on board, they avoided essentially everything that makes him controversial in our world.

• 4 years later...
On 3/30/2016 at 9:41 PM, BloodBoal said:

We all know how reliable this kind of statements are... I expect him to score another superhero movie in less than 5 years time.

Boy, you weren't wrong! :lol:

59 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Boy, you weren't wrong! :lol:

Assuming you're thinking of Wonder Woman 1984, he was actually announced as the composer of Dark Phoenix less than 2 years after this retirement announcement 

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2018/01/25/hans-zimmer-to-score-x-men-dark-phoenix/

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Assuming you're thinking of Wonder Woman 1984, he was actually announced as the composer of Dark Phoenix less than 2 years after this retirement announcement 

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2018/01/25/hans-zimmer-to-score-x-men-dark-phoenix/

More of an open reference to both actually :) It's even funnier that he didn't come close to waiting 5 years, doing Dark Phoenix only 2 years later. Fancy going back on those comments just to produce such generic, uninspired dreck (fitting for the thoroughly mediocre movie it accompanied).

I guess money talks -- and the fact he can farm out most of the score to his assistants.

He should've just said he was taking a break, not make a fuss about doing too many superhero scores. To be honest it seems like a click-bait heading giddy journalists ran amok with, stretching entire articles out of a few of Zimmer's words.