Favourite JW Alternate Cues

Amer

I dont know if somebody did a similar thread on this but What's your favourite Alternate cue from a John Williams score that has appeared either on the OST and the subsequent expanded re-issues over the years? I love the new expansions because they are wonderful excavations from a body of work that has long since been hidden from us. Its like an archaeological discovery [pun intended, of course)

To date my favourite 5 are:

1) Return of the Jedi/ Sale Barge Assault (EPISODE VI: RETURN OF THE JEDI)

While I do like the thrilling STAR WARS montage cues version used in the film; this alternate is by far darker and moody piece that reminds me of Williams future/currents works such as WAR OF THE WORLDS. The ending is somewhat familiar to the revised version. Lucas probably didn't like it and requested a more triumphant heroic Jedi esque approach.

2) The Dome Opens ( SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE)

We first heard variations of this cue split over different sequences in ken Thorne' s adaptation of Williams original score in SUPERMAN II. I was extremely puzzled to hear for the first time when the Richard Donner cut of SUPERMAN II came about using mostly Williams original score. So obviously I just loved the music hearing this very import nugget for the first time and i was actually looking forward to it when the blue Box was eventually released by FSM. Its a terrific cue and much more aggressive and darker than its teamed version that appears in the final film.

3) Indy Rides the Statute (RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK)

Firstly its an alternate version and the film version has different take and the ending edited . It has a gorgeous piece of propulsive brassy action that has been a favourite of mine in the Indy box set release.

4) Return to the City ( EMPIRE OF THE SUN)

While there are many interesting  Alternates in the recent expanded LLL release. But this one is a  discovery on its own.(even John Williams himslef alluded tot his lost cue when it was pulled out after so many years) An alternate that is an entirely new piece which I found to be very reminiscent of Williams darker moods as in WAR OF THE WORLDS and MINORITY REPORTS. A few strains and fragments  are recognizable that get better development and focus in the final revised cue. The tone is also similar to Goldsmiths THE BLUE MAX as well.I find a few of the starting strains similar somewhat - just me i.e. 

5) The Imperial Probe (EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK)Another great cue. Although Its NOT an alternate since its basically not used  in the film. Most of didnt even know it existed in the first place. Lukas Kendall heard it  when he was working on the Arista Box set and even then it didn't appear on the cd  until the Special Edition release.

Folks, feel free to add yours to this thread. (Again, I'am Sorry if another similar post exists) I know there are tons of alternates cues on AI (I haven't even gotten to it yet) But I'd like to know your favourite versions.

There's a passage during POA's werewolf chase that was scored with two completely different approaches: a a pizzicato sprinkling of weirdly delicate dissonances à la "Flight From Peru", and a forceful barrage of low brass accents and tom-toms. The former (presumably the original) is heard on the OST while the latter (presumably an insert) was used in the film. Both are pretty fascinating, especially seeing as how different they are.

If we ever get to hear Williams' recording of the AOTC finale passage that was replaced with the Imperial March, I'm confident it will be very worthy of discussion here, too.

7 hours ago, azahid said:

Although Its NOT an alternate since its basically not used  in the film

Huh?  Isn't that the definition of an alternate?

I think I was still waking up when I first posted that.  I understand what he is saying now - there isn't two versions of that cue, only the one version, hence it falls more into the 'unused cue' category than the 'alternate cue' category.  Though I suppose the lines are a bit blurred because the end of the cue (inside the bridge) is used, and the middle of the cue (the fleet in space) was replaced with Imperial March tracking.

The alternate of The Priest's Tale from IJTOD with the great Shankara Stones theme is awesome

Just now, Jay said:

It showed up in the video game LEGO Indiana Jones.

So i have all the music from that, is it the piece in the chapter where you travel to Pankot Palace? 

Do you have a track name?

I remember something that sounded like it belonged in the film and wasn't from Young Indy or Emperor's Tomb.

I meant to type "The Priest's Tale" before, not "The Child Returns"

There's a sample here:

http://www.indianajonesmusic.blogspot.com/2008/11/missing-music.html

That page also lists the two files in the game that has the music

This page might be of interest too

http://www.indianajonesmusic.blogspot.com/2008/11/indiana-jones-and-temple-of-doom-1984.html

Awesome, thanks a bunch dude.  And yeah, I haven't been to that site since the box set came out in '08.  Good times.

As for the thread, Indy Rides the Statue alternate is great.  And the 'Water!" Alternate ending is pretty good from Temple of Doom.

I never found there too much of an interesting difference between those two takes on the Water sequence

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Really enjoy the alternates to The Jungle Chase from KOTCS.

Yep! It's got a bit more "oomph", and that driving bass is quite reminiscent of the Desert Chase from ROTLA (although I still enjoy the original track of course, for moments like the swashbuckling music and the music which plays when LaBeouf is swinging on the vines!)

59 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

And the 'Water!" Alternate ending is pretty good from Temple of Doom.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I definitely prefer the fanfare which plays when Indy, Willie and Short Round emerge at the edge of the cliff in the film, as opposed to the original music written for that moment which IMO is a bit "static". 

I understand that there are many alternates on A.I. - Any favourites there?  Im curious about that one. I have my set unopened. Waiting for a special moment and mood to play that set.

I remember from Lukas Kendall's FSM Cue sheet article/essay he wrote about the SW Arista set explaining about the various unreleased cues at that time, there was this Finale from Empire that kinda fades away instead of wrapping up into the End credits. That would qualify as an Alternate/unused take. There are two Alternates of the finale. 

10 hours ago, azahid said:

I understand that there are many alternates on A.I. - Any favourites there?  Im curious about that one. I have my set unopened. Waiting for a special moment and mood to play that set.

The entire third disc is alternates, pretty much.

Of particular interest is the What Is Your Wish alternate with group chorus instead of solo

My favorite is the alternate cue for "What Is Your Wish", too; that solo voice is just beautiful, and for some unconscious reason, it resonates with me more than the film version

I hate to be pedantic (actually, I don't! :P), but...aren't the cues that we hear in the films and on the OSTs the true alternate cues, as they were composed after the cues that we are discussing? Aren't we, in fact, discussing original cues?

Having said that, I love "Binary Sunset"!

Also, I'm not sure if it is an alternate cue, but I just can't get my head around the extended "Turning Back The World".

5 hours ago, Richard said:

I hate to be pedantic (actually, I don't! :P), but...aren't the cues that we hear in the films and on the OSTs the true alternate cues, as they were composed after the cues that we are discussing? Aren't we, in fact, discussing original cues?

Yes, for the most part - but not always.  Sometimes a cue is rewritten by the composer, but then when the director hears it, he sticks with the original version anyway.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes, for the most part - but not always.  Sometimes a cue is rewritten by the composer, but then when the director hears it, he sticks with the original version anyway.

Interesting, Jay. Are you able to offer any examples?

Sorry, I can't think of a specific example off the top of my head at the moment, but know I've read about that happening in the liner notes of various releases before.

Thanks for that, Jay.

Is the film version of the Main Title from "Dracula" an alternate, or is it edited (it sounds like an alternate)?

Did JW record the Main Title from "The Towering Inferno" twice, or was the cymbal crash "dropped-in"?

I've always preffered the film version of "Earthquake": it seems to know when to slow down.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of those TFA alternate/unused bits were pretty awesome -- the mellow string/flute one (unknown cue) was absolutely gorgeous (could it have been the original "Rey Meets BB-8," since the belief is that the music heard in the film there was tracked?), and the "Torn Apart" alternate with the dramatic Force theme was incredibly, stunningly powerful. 

On 13.4.2016 at 8:46 AM, Richard said:

Thanks for that, Jay.

Is the film version of the Main Title from "Dracula" an alternate, or is it edited (it sounds like an alternate)?

It pretty sure was done at a later pick-up session (usually days or weeks after the initial sessions for the composer to make amendments). There were some noticeable changes in some of the film cues. 

As for alternate/original versions as the composer intended: most album versions that differ from the film versions are the original/composer-preferred versions - or they are selected out of necessity because the changes were done after the album master had to be submitted. Jerry Goldsmith in his later years regularly did punched up cues for the movie and always omitted those from the album versions. The most infamous case was a pop insert from 'Mulan' that was featured as bonus cue on some international editions when Disney became aware that the composer had put his own more traditional version on the soundtrack and people began to request the movie version.

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Searching for E.T. (Alternate)  I love the opening 10 seconds.

Is that from the LLL set?