WESTWORLD (HBO TV)

A24

9 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I just wondered about the bigger universe

Crichton had quite a vision to build on.

The show, in varying degrees of success, makes Crichton's original seem quite quaint in comparison. 

_

One of the elements that makes the show so watchable is that it takes the plot to places that are often too daring to go and it does it without breaking the believability. I think there was a point in season 2 where they almost jumped off the deep end but I think season three might offer more to the reasoning than we have seen thus far - I'm hoping.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I hadn't actually watched that trailer when I posted it, but we just saw it the other night in front of The Outsider.  Holy hell!  What a cool trailer!  What do all those dates and events mean?

The divergence is probably Dolores/Charlotte. The name 'Solomon' appears as if there were several other builds of events/timelines - strange!

I figured Solomon was from Biblical scripture so this is what Wikipedia has to say on the name:

Solomon was the biblical king most famous for his wisdom. In 1 Kings he sacrificed to God, and God later appeared to him in a dream asking what Solomon wanted from God. Solomon asked for wisdom. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon

Something Westworld would do and fits both Dolores and Bernard's characters quite well.

I'm one of the people who think Season 2 was a big improvement on Season 1 (this puts me in the minority I think?), but I'm still gonna need one of those refresher articles to remember where things stood at the end of that season.

In addition to the specific plot machinations, I think I found the themes more engaging season 2.  These beings originally created to grant immortality to super-rich assholes, the creator (Hopkins) who rebels against that and plants the seeds for the hosts' consciousness, the difficulty with which some of the hosts had with breaking free of their storylines (their programming).  It was all just more interesting to me than season 1.

Absolutely!

Most shows get more interesting as the seasons go on, the first always has to set up a lot of stuff before they can start diving deep

S1 started a little slow, but got really wonderful on its second half - the final two episodes are epic as fuck.

S2 was more inconsistent, but it still had some brilliant episodes here and there: The Riddle of the Sphinx, Les Écorchés, Kiksuya, Vanishing Point, season finale The Passenger... There was Akane no Mai as well, but I wasn't exactly a fan of the episode, neither of Maeve's japanese saga.

I got less interested in season 1 as it went on, actually.  I thought the ending was annoying (Heaven protect us from eye-rolling "twists") to the point where I thought about not watching season 2, but I'm glad I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, can't wait for season 3!

Catching up with BCS via a recap podcast now, hoping to finish in time for it's season 5 premiere; As soon as I'm caught up with that, gonna check out the  same guys' Westworld recap podcasts and hope to catch up before WW season 3 starts.

I'm glad season 3 looks like it will be pretty different from seasons 1 and 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the trailer. 

Wowzers, that got me more excited for the new season than I thought it would! It looks really really good. I've been so hyped for the return of Saul I've kind of backburnered any thought about this. It's gonna be a fun end of winter with both these shows running

Really interested to see who exactly Aaron Paul's character is and how each of the hosts operates in the outside world, however I'm thinking it's merely another rouse for yet another constructed world they must escape.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done with my recap podcasts for the first 2 seasons.  I had forgotten a ton of details about what happened!  If I have time I might want to watch the final 3 episodes of season 2 some time before Sunday night.

Then again, it seems they are going in such a new direction for s3 it might not matter.

Can't wait!

Westworld season premiere was great!

After all the complicated timelines, Jonah and Lisa did their best to simplify the story, making it easy for everyone to follow. 

And the show is simply gorgeous, with Singapore dubbing as a futurist Los Angeles. It's refreshing to see a vision from the future as told by our mentality these days, like a mix between Black Mirror and an updated, cleaner Blade Runner.

Djawadi's score was decent too. I liked that it was mostly electronic during the episode, then he brought back mostly orchestral music from the season 1 finale for the ending scene.

The trailer for the season that was up after the episode was very spoiler-y. Careful:

Spoiler

It's clear that Vincent Cassell is the architect behind the Rehoboam or something, and he'll try to recruit Maeve to battle Dolores. Also, the trailers spoiled that the host in Charlotte's body is Teddy.

Haven't watched the premiere yet but this gif made me laugh

Fuck Off Season 3 GIF by Westworld HBO

That's some Succession energy right there

I have to say I didn't understand much of the first episode. I'm probably more stupid than most, but I have problems with intrictate plotlines, especially if they involve a lot of corporate intrigue, such as this.

Unlike Edmilson above, I thought this was far more complicated than any of the previous seasons. Hopefully, it will make more sense eventually.

I'm with you Thor.  I thought this was supposed to be a more straight forward season after all the complaints about how needlessly convoluted season 2 got by the end, but I have to say I thought the season premiere was just as needlessly convoluted.

No, you're putting words in my mouth.  I never said I couldn't follow it.  I said it was needlessly convoluted.  There's a difference.

It's why I far prefer shows like BETTER CALL SAUL these days. It has tons of complexity, but it's BENEATH the surface, while the plot itself is always very clean, lean and straightforward -- and with plenty of pauses to take in whatever's happening or wherever the characters are, or how they're connected.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, you're putting words in my mouth.  I never said I couldn't follow it.  I said it was needlessly convoluted.  There's a difference.

I found it rather simple. Delores is plotting something on the Delos corporation, and Jesse Pinkman is a blue collar guy who needs money to help pay for his sick mum's hospital care.

Well, let me try to explain it:

Dolores, played by Evan Rachel Wood, is a host (artificial beings) that achieved conscience that she was nothing but a toy on a western thematic park for rich people to play (as in to rape and to murder). 

With that knowledge, she brought other hosts to her growing army, took control of Westworld, slaughtered Ford (played by Anthony Hopkins) and members from the board on the season 1 finale. By season 2, she discovered that Delos (the company that runs Westworld and all the other theme parks) was studying ALSO the humans that visited the park, through some device on their hats, hoping to gather data about human behavior. 

So, she freed the hosts, put their consciousness on some sort of hidden cloud storage, and escaped the park using a host that looks like Charlotte (the member from the Delos board played by Tessa Thompson), taking with her five host brains. Once in the outside world, she rebuilt her own body, put one of the brains in the host that looks like Charlotte, and set out in a quest to destroy humanity and get revenge for the years of rape and torture she suffered.

By season 3, she was disguising as a powerful businesswoman to gain access to some of the world's most powerful AI companies. She gained access to the heir of Incite, whose father built a sophisticated AI called Rehoboam, which apparently functions by choosing which jobs are more compatible to every person. However, she was discovered by Incite's head of security. After the gunfight scene on S03E01, she put another host brain inside a host that looks like that head of security. Since Liam, the heir, doesn't know how Rehoboam works, she'll try to find the only person that can do that: the architect that worked on it.

However, when Dolores escaped Westworld, she also took with her another host brain: the one of Bernard (played by Jeffrey Wright), the host modeled on one of the founders of the park. Bernard doesn't agree with the bleak view she has of mankind, and will try to stop her. But Dolores already has an strategy for that: use the host using Charlotte's body to convice the world that Bernard was the responsible for the massacre in Westworld on the season 1 finale. Therefore, poor Bernard is being hunted worldwide.

Finally, we have Aaron Paul's character, Caleb. He apparently is a soldier that suffered through some kind of trauma while at service, and is now trying to find a job. However, Rehoboam (that, as I've said, has the goal of finding the most adequate job for each person) can't find him anything. So, he tries to survive and take care of his mother by using an app that helps him commit small crimes. 

During the climax of S03E01, Caleb encounters Dolores, and during this season we'll see how them interact.

Any doubts?

47 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

During the climax of S03E01, Caleb encounters Charlotte

Dolores