WESTWORLD (HBO TV)

A24

Yeah, i dont really fancy the convoluted timelines, just to make big revelations. Some plot twists are great but for example, Ed harris young-old is just for us saying "oh it is him afterall".

I think the series would work still if in each timeline it say the year, like in many other series-films...

But i suppose is the Abrahms touch.

On 09/11/2021 at 1:17 PM, GerateWohl said:

To me it's a little bit like watching a toaster or a washing machine doing its job. I am missing the required compassion for that.

On 09/11/2021 at 1:17 PM, GerateWohl said:

And I can't connect to the assumption, that in a place where you are allowed to so anything, people had no other idea than torturing, killing and raping the inhabitants there.

But… they lack the required compassion to not do that.

Admission to the Delos theme parks is ridiculously expensive. 

Would you think someone is going to pay that kind of cash to drag their algebra homework and ask the hosts for tutor help? Or sit and paint sunsets? Or even just cuddle?

Crichton's original film created a world where shoot-em-ups could be free of consequences, 20 years before Doom brought the concept to personal computers.

If the "victims" can't fight back, press charges, die, or blab to your loved ones, then by all means... rape, murder, arson, and rape are perfectly fine... 

Except the guests had no idea the hosts were designed with emergent AI, memory, and a long game in mind. That's stupid, but conflict = story. 

I know. That is why I particularly liked the first season. It gave some kind of explanation and showed a development. The second season is just about... asholes, cruelty and hosts imitating human emotions. Not for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I mean it's already finished filming, and I don't think there's ever been a television show that required 13 months of post-production work other than like, The Pacific

Maybe they'll release the season three ost on CD in conjunction?

😝😜😛😰

On 15/02/2022 at 8:21 AM, scallenger said:

"New worlds"? Like in a new park? What? Lucy needs to explain herself to Ricky.

It's set on Isla Nubar

Fugedaboudit, it ain't happening. Sales for the first two series must've been underperforming - just look at the packaging of the first season compared to that of season two, one was a gatefold presentation, the other is a standard jewel case.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I want to believe that the next season will be good and put the show back on its feet. I mean, if Stranger Things managed to produce a well-received fourth season after a controversial third, Westworld can do it too.

That poster looks great.

I can agree on the fact that season 3 was not as good as 1 and 2 but I just love this show. The actors, production, effects & visuals are all just soo good. And Djawadi's music for this series is always a joy.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally watched the new trailer.  Looks cool!

Nice variation on Nine Inch Nail's "The Day The Whole World Went Away" used in the trailer!

I thought I read a long time ago the series was planned to be 5 seasons total.  Depending on how this season goes I could see one more wrapping things up nicely.  It definitely does not have legs for more than 5, for sure

Westworld 4x01 The Auguries

Yikers, I hope all of you were as lost as I was with all this.  Season 3 was already hard to get into since it was so different from the first 2, but now this jumping forward 7 years and only barely filling in the gaps of what happened in between added another layer of complexity to everything going on lol.  Let me see if I can figure out what's what.....

The opening scene with William was probably the best scene in the episode and the easiest to follow and understand, but still leaves you with questions.  The Hoover Dam no longer belongs to the US government, but a Mexican cartel?  And William (I assume this is the Host replacement Evil Charlotte built) now has flies that can mindcontrol a human into doing his bidding?  Yikes!  Anyways, I think they are implying that the data from The Forge (the data they collected from all the human attendees in the park through their hats) is what is stored here now, right?  So now Williams/Evil Charlotte finally has that data... but not the encryption key!

Dolores Christina - So I am pretty sure all her scenes are a simulation and not the real world.  It seems like someone is putting a modified copy of her code through a routine where she is a writer for a video game, but the NPCs she writes actually enter the simulation with her.  But like her boss says, she's only writing sad stories so that's why they are mad at her and that one commits suicide in front of here.  There was also a scene with some characters were like "it's so cool being here!" which I don't think just meant New York City, but the simulation?  Or maybe this isn't a simulation, but a New York City World park?  But then in the old park, Dolores would wake up every day forgetting everything from her previous loop and having no wounds, while Christina here remembers everything and had that wound on her arm.  Anyways, since Bernard has the key to the sublime, I wonder if he pulled Teddy out of it and plopped her into the simulation Dolores is stuck in?

Caleb - I think the point of all his scenes is to show that he is not following the path Rehoboam predicted for him last season (that he would never have a wife and kid and would eventually commit suicide), since he is now married with a kid.  However, judging from his acting and the end of the episode, I think it's clear that he's only doing this to purposely fight against the prediction, an isn't actually happy - he's only actually happy being in war/conflict again, so easily chooses to leave with Maeve instead of staying with his family.  I think the show is trying to say something simliar about humanity that Agent Smith says in the Matrix, that the utopian Matrix didn't work, so they had to make a reality wher people struggled more because that's the only way humanity thrives.  Or something.  It was interesting that him and his coworker casually talked about a robot war and that seemingly all robots are banned now?  Which gives further credence to Dolores/Christina's scene being a simulation because they had self-driving cars there.

Maeve - Not really sure what's going on here.  The best I can guess is that the visions she saw of her and Caleb attaching a bunker or whatever and Caleb getting injured is not a flashback to something happened during these supposed robot wars, but is something that could happen in the future, like she's basically getting Rehoboam esque predictive powers?  I was confused by how what she did led to William/Evil Charlotte finding her, but it was interesting that the leader of the mercenary squad was a Host.

So yea, kinda lost and not really sure what's going on, but I'm along for the right.  The action scenes were soooooooo much better than last year's already, which was a major problem last year, so that's good!

I watched the season 4 premiere and, though confusing, I'm still cautiosly optimistic for this season.

That female video game writer was played by Evan Rachel Wood or is it just my impression?

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

That female video game writer was played by Evan Rachel Wood or is it just my impression?

Did the brown hair really throw you off that much?

S4 - Episode 2: Well Enough Alone

I thought this episode was very good. It cleared some things up that were a bit complicated after watching just the first episode.

The mystery of Dolores/Christina and ehat happened to her is interesting. Evan Rachel Wood really shows her range with a character that seems lost and afraid. Her voice is slightly higher than when she is Dolores. Great stuff!

I do hope Ariana DeBose gets to do more in future episodes.

It was great seeing Angela Sarafyan again. She has a very striking look, and cool to see her taking care of stuff.

I do think that Tessa Thompson is one of the biggest assets the show has. Her perfomance in S3 was so good and she continues that here, although very differently. Her character has gone full psycho and it's great. The scene at the beginning when she was just walking out of the shadows was soo cool, she has a very demanding presence. And the final scene of hers with William was great and explained a bit more what her plans are.

The reveal that there are already so many hosts in the real world was a shocker.

Maeve's and Caleb's storyline has also moved foreward, especially with them going back to Westworld, now The Golden Age. Curious to see which character we might encounter there.

Djawadi's music was good. Especially some of the action parts and the arrangememt of the Westworld theme. And the final moments when The Golden Age park is revealed had some amazing music. Always glad when he gets to experience with different styles for the parks.

I just really love this show. And although I can agree that S3 had problems I feel like S4 is heading for a great season. Being in the parks are I think always the shows best parts.

I haven't seen episode 2 yet, but I had a more refined theory about episode 1.

I think the Dolores Christina scenes are inside the sublime.  We know at the end of Season 2 the Sublime got sent into a satellite or whatever, and at the end of Season 3 Bernard got the key to access it.  So I think with him in there now, he made a simulated world inside The Sublime (which is already a simulated world), and populated it with Christina, who is based on his memories of Dolores but a little different.  And I think he assigned Teddy (who we know is in the Sublime) to guard here there.  Because it seems their simulation process isn't perfect, since some of the NPC she writes becomes aggressive or suicidal.  I think they are working on perfecting making their own simulated world, or maybe somehow there is key information that can be unlocked via Christina somehow or something.  I don't know how to explain those tourists guys that showed up and were like "wow it's so cool to be here" or whatever, unless some other entity has found a way to hack into the Sublime?

Also apprently they have perfected Nuclear Fusion in this world which is why the gov't doesn't need the Hoover Dam any more.  But it must still generate enough power to easily keep The Forge going, especially with it stored right there

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Also apprently they have perfected Nuclear Fusion in this world which is why the gov't doesn't need the Hoover Dam any more.  But it must still generate enough power to easily keep The Forge going, especially with it stored right there

Well not to get too spoilery, but William says something in 4x02 that dates his part of season 4 to roughly the 2070s. Probably enough time for us to figure fusion out and to my knowledge this is the closest we’ve come to a specific date for any of the events in this show.

Anyway, I loved this episode. Felt a lot like an early episode from Season 1 with all the verbal and visual callbacks. The Golden Age park looks cool and I’m glad Caleb is getting to visit a park even if it’s not the classic Westworld. William, Charlotte and Clementine were all great too and I’m digging the chemistry between Maeve and Caleb. Very excited to see how this year plays out.

Question though: Didn’t season 3 end with Jeffery Wright’s character waking up in an abandoned city that had been reclaimed by the desert? If that’s where we see him next, I’m thinking his story is further in the future than Maeve and Caleb’s.

Caught up with the first two episodes.

The good: Ed Harris. And I love future/fake NYC.

The bad: I remember fuck all from S3… I have no idea what's going on.

On 30/06/2022 at 5:24 AM, A. A. Ron said:

Did the brown hair really throw you off that much?

She looks like she's lost two thirds of her weight, too - I wasn't instantly sure if it was her either. But her acting quickly cleared up any uncertainty.

20 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Well not to get too spoilery, but William says something in 4x02 that dates his part of season 4 to roughly the 2070s.

Didn't he say "almost 150 years"? So I'd rather say 2060s or 2050s.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Caught up with the first two episodes.

The good: Ed Harris. And I love future/fake NYC.

The bad: I remember fuck all from S3… I have no idea what's going on.

She looks like she's lost two thirds of her weight, too - I wasn't instantly sure if it was her either. But her acting quickly cleared up any uncertainty.

I mistyped. 150 years from WWI would be somewhere between 2064-2068. I think we can probably rule out the 2050s for the current season.

Westworld 4x02 Well Enough Alone

Christina - pretty straightforward plot this week, with her investigating the place Peter donated his money to only to find he'd actually died a long time ago once she gets there.  Nothing in this episode to contradict my theory she's in a simulation created inside The Sublime, but I'm starting to think it's actually more likely that she's in another Park in the real world, but actually a Park far in the future, where someone has built a park that resembles NYC in its heyday, perhaps right before the Hosts take over the earth?  The reason I think this is I remember there was a scene in season 2 I think it was where she was reading the books of everyone in The Forge (all the human data they had collected through the hats), so maybe someone is trying to get some sort of damaged marble version of her to "remember" what she read by "writing stories" that actually cause her to access these memories subconsciously.... or something.  And I have no clue what the constant mentions and depictions of "The Tower" are all about....

Evil Dolores in Charlotte's body - I think I like the reveal that she's basically trying to wipe out humanity, and starting by replacing important political people with Host copies (adding a Senator and the Vice President to her repertoire this week).  I'm not sure how much I liked delivering this exposition to William, who it turned out didn't die and is kept frozen by her... damn.  I was sort of confused by what Clementine was up to or why she had Host William kill her...

Maeve and Caleb - I can't even remember what brought them to the senator's house, and didn't really understand why the wife was kept alive and went crazy in the barn?  Was it just to give the message to Maeve and Caleb that would bring them to the opera?  But why - doesn't Evil Charlotte want Maeve dead?  Once they got the opera, the whole sequence of them slowly learning they were on a train to a new Park was pretty fun.  The original Park from seasons 1 and 2 was on some giant island far away from the US somewhere, but now it seems they've built one in the USA a train ride's away from Los Angeles?  Is this why in the first episode it was mentioned that "William" had bought up all the land around the Hoover Dam - and maybe why he wanted the Hoover Dam too - not to power The Sublime or The Forge, but to power the new park?

Hopefully more exciting things happen soon, though I will say the action scenes this year continue to be so much better than last year's!

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can't even remember what brought them to the senator's house, and didn't really understand why the wife was kept alive and went crazy in the barn?  Was it just to give the message to Maeve and Caleb that would bring them to the opera?  But why - doesn't Evil Charlotte want Maeve dead?

"Charlotte" prevents the host senator from killing "his" real wife, saying "She could be useful to me". I figured perhaps it was her developing the mind control fly swarm seen in episode 1, and the wife was a test subject? Other than that, you keep mentioning tons of stuff i had completely forgotten. I don't even remember there were two Doloreses…

On 04/07/2022 at 8:58 PM, A. A. Ron said:

Well not to get too spoilery, but William says something in 4x02 that dates his part of season 4 to roughly the 2070s.

On 05/07/2022 at 5:16 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

On 06/07/2022 at 12:20 AM, A. A. Ron said:

I mistyped. 150 years from WWI would be somewhere between 2064-2068. I think we can probably rule out the 2050s for the current season.

Nerds figured out when the show takes place years ago

https://westworld.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline

Looks like as of right now that page ends where season 3 does (2053), but 7 years later is 2060 so it all tracks I suppose

On 04/07/2022 at 4:40 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

I do think that Tessa Thompson is one of the biggest assets the show has. Her perfomance in S3 was so good and she continues that here, although very differently. Her character has gone full psycho and it's great. The scene at the beginning when she was just walking out of the shadows was soo cool, she has a very demanding presence. And the final scene of hers with William was great and explained a bit more what her plans are.

I agree her acting is good, Tessa Thompson is awesome, and that shot of her coming out of the shadows was cool, but didn't you think the William exposition scene was a little..... expositiony?

The reveal that there are already so many hosts in the real world was a shocker.

Why?  She was shown to be building tons of Host bodies in the season 3 finale when she killed (or so we thought) William

Djawadi's music was good. Especially some of the action parts and the arrangememt of the Westworld theme. And the final moments when The Golden Age park is revealed had some amazing music. Always glad when he gets to experience with different styles for the parks.

Oh man I completely forgot to mention that!  The Swinging 20s version of the theme park music that ended the episode was so good!

On 04/07/2022 at 8:58 PM, A. A. Ron said:

Question though: Didn’t season 3 end with Jeffery Wright’s character waking up in an abandoned city that had been reclaimed by the desert? If that’s where we see him next, I’m thinking his story is further in the future than Maeve and Caleb’s.

We were meant to think he woke up MANY years later, but now I'm wondering if he just woke up during the mysterious "robot wars" that happened in the 7 years between seasons 3 and 4.  It wouldn't take long for one location to get full of dust like that if nobody visit it at all.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

"Charlotte" prevents the host senator from killing "his" real wife, saying "She could be useful to me". I figured perhaps it was her developing the mind control fly swarm seen in episode 1, and the wife was a test subject?

The flies already worked perfectly when they needed to buy the Hoover dam, but yea, maybe they wanted to see if they could get her to kill all her horses too?  And play with their guts?  I dunno it was weird.  Maybe we'll find out next week!

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Other than that, you keep mentioning tons of stuff i had completely forgotten. I don't even remember there were two Doloreses…

Season 2 ended with Dolores killing the human Charlotte and sneaking out of the park in a Host body that looked like Charlotte, carrying a container of 4 or 5 other Host marbles.  Once they are in the real world in Arnold's house that has a body-printer in it that Ford left for her, she puts her marble back in a Dolores body and puts one of the other marbles in the Charlotte body. You spend all of season 3 wondering who it was she put in Host Charlotte only to eventually find out that it was a copy of Dolores. 

The "main" Dolores spends season 3 in a Dolores body but is "killed" in the final episode by Serac who destroys all her memories one by one, looking for the encryption key to The Sublime.  This Dolores had turned good and decided humanity was worth saving, and had given Caleb the power to shut down Reheboam and Solomon and the day is saved, but at the cost of her life (Maeve looks inside and the only remaining memory is her alone in a field).

The Dolores in Charlotte's body meanwhile stayed evil because of everything she had experienced in the park and now in the real world too, and by the end of the season kills (or so we thought) the real human William after showing him she is having the Dubai Delos location print up tons of Host bodies.  This season we see her using them to replace important Humans.

I have no idea if all the marbles she snuck out are all accounted for or if there is one left (which could explain Christina), of course the show has also should Hosts can be created from other Hosts memories of a person so who the hell knows...

Just watched episode one and realized I'm not sure I care about this show anymore!😅

The great vistas aren't enough; I need a story I care about.

Last season had a really good one with the super computer. Don't know where this one is going

I'm especially fond of Enter The Sandman. Was great to see this scene start with the fake out of Paint It Black, but then changing into this. Great stuff.

Also the Sweetwater jazz arrangement at the beginning of the episode was great as well.

Djawadi's music for 'inside' the parks is always great and I really missed that in S3

Yup his music for inside the parks is always the best part of his scores; Most of the outside the park stuff is really generic, just gets the job done kind of stuff, while the inside the park stuff he has a lot of fun with