WESTWORLD (HBO TV)

A24

I meant the ones about the pilot, or the general discussion a few posts ago. 

Anyway, no harm in just trying it out right? I think you'll probably like it. Some here think it moves slow, but I don't. 

Now that was more like it! It's a shame the earlier episodes didn't quite strike the same balance with plot, rumination and delivery. And once again, the episode owes much of its success to Hopkins.

9 hours ago, publicist said:

Is it good? (i hate Abrams' shows usually)

It will definitely test your patience. Especially the more serialized middle chapters. But its worth checking out for the concept and Hopkins. 

Also, the score is usually surprisingly effective.

It definitely has an interesting sci-fi vision.  It's all about consciousness, artificial intelligence, and whether or not the former can inhabit the latter.  All done with the highest of production values and seriously terrific acting.

I think it helps that Crichton's original film inspired the basis of the vision, and I think they not only kept a lot of its DNA to please its original fans, but because many of its ideas simply worked so well. I do have to admit that they expanded upon all of his ideas beautifully, and I bet if he were alive to see it, he would have absolutely loved it. It's one of the best adaptations any of his works have ever received.

12 hours ago, publicist said:

OK. Is it very dependent on labored plot mechanics? Or has it at least some interesting vision, sci-fi wise?

If you're expecting something completely outside of conventional tv narrative tropes, you'll be disappointed. It has a habit of dawdling about the real meat of the narrative (generally for shock-value), as is common for usual serial television.

There are times where it's commentary on everything mentioned above is done in a sort of superficial manner, and then there are other times where it presents some rather poignant ruminations on the topic. Like I said, it's a bit of a mixed bag. But I do believe it's worth checking out.

Haha BloodBoal, I guess we were exactly reversed on the order of reveals :)

Which is weird, cause it seems to imply William/MIB is a more important character that Arnold/Bernard... Well, we'll see how it wraps up. 

Ooops, I thought I wrote about Episode 9 already but I haven't; I'll try to do that tomorrow

In the meantime, this article perfectly sums up the basically incontrovertible proof about the 3 timelines we're seeing at once on the show

http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/westworld-timeline-guide.html

Well the biggest reveal that the Will/Logan storyline is taking place 30 years ago of course that Dolores had robot parts under her skin; the modern Hosts are most all flesh and bone

And from the beginning I think its been possible that either Will or Logan is the MIB

And yea, its certainly possible if not likely that Hopkins only agreed to do one season and season 2 will not be driven by a Ford storyline

On 12/1/2016 at 11:12 PM, BloodBoal said:

To me, it almost look like the writers thought: "OK, the viewers will probably guess there are multiple timelines, and that one of the characters is the MIB, so let's have this Logan guy have a black hat, and act like the MIB does, and maybe they'll think he's the one, even if William is!" but right from the start, when people came up with the two timelines theory, they immediately though William = MIB. No one seems to have claimed Logan = MIB.

The "Logan = MiB" theory has been proposed and re-proposed non-stop since the different time-periods idea took hold. It simply hasn't caught on with many people. Logan just doesn't seem like a significant enough character in his own right for the juxtaposition of these two contrasting periods of his life to be interesting. People immediately thought "William = MiB" and stuck with that idea for a good reason: they are two of the main characters. Indeed, of the guests in the story, they are the only two who could be called protagonists. 

I'd be really surprised if Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy were so naive as to think that everyone would take that sort of bait (Logan = MiB) and just accept it. They seem to be pretty well tuned in to how the discussion around TV shows works in the current era...

Show's great. Season 1 finale was great.

Ramin Djawadi's soundtrack to season one is out. And "Dr. Ford" is the best track of the year methinks. It is everything right about modern music. 

It was definitely a very fine finale. It brought the season together in a more satisfying way than I expected. Though shows like this make me wish we didn't have the Internet around, since everyone guessed the major twists before they aired anyway. And being one who was largely unaware of the theories outside the ones mentioned here, even I found the Will = MiB twist drawn out longer than necessary.

But the second half was the most rewarding, with Hopkins delivering the show's final punch and bidding us a worthy farewell. It definitely ties together some of the more questionable parts of the season.

Overall, this is all pretty well crafted stuff, though it could use some good trimming and fine-tuning. But I'm not sure how much steam there might be left for the second season.

This is why I don't partake in analysis on the online anymore. I've had too many good shows *cough* GoT, Lost *cough* ruined by armchair analysts. 

Dittor on season 2. Honestly if the show ended with that last episode, I'd be content. 

Me too. And without Hopkins (and to a lesser degree, Harris), I admit I'm a little less motivated to keep going, despite the talented cast.

4 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Ramin Djawadi's soundtrack to season one is out. And "Dr. Ford" is the best track of the year methinks. It is everything right about modern music. 

Nice! Will have to check the album out. The score is quite good. And is "Dr. Ford" that deliciously ominous sci-fi motif that plays for Ford's ramblings about creation and whatnot? Lovely stuff.

As for cue of the year, have you heard Arrival? "Kangaru" is currently sitting at my top seat:

I like Arrival. It tickles my higher brain, but it never quite satisfies the lower brain. Which is fine. 

Dr. Ford tickles a bit of both. That sounds naughty. 

On 5.12.2016 at 9:08 PM, KK said:

It was definitely a very fine finale. It brought the season together in a more satisfying way than I expected. Though shows like this make me wish we didn't have the Internet around, since everyone guessed the major twists before they aired anyway.

Yes. I think I'll avoid this thread when S2 starts and only come back when I've seen it all.

Just finished the first season. Fine end, and I think it leaves enough potential for a second one. Even without Hopkins and Harris, there's enough story lines and character motivations to resolve yet.

I'll definitely get this season on Blu-ray for a rewatch, too. I did get quite lost at times with all these timeline and memory shifts. I'm quite impressed how they kept the AI and cognitive science stuff serious and believable throughout.

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

P.S.: so, now, they're having post-credits scenes in TV shows, too.

You obviously don't watch Hannibal!

On 12/5/2016 at 11:08 AM, Blumenkohl said:

Show's great. Season 1 finale was great.

Absolutely.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved that series, I just finished it two days ago.

I'd love to say it keeped me interrested because of the story, but it was in fact because of the male nudity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2016 at 8:11 PM, BloodBoal said:

Random thing I thought about: weird we didn't get to see Ashley Stubbs (the security guy that went looking for Elsie) in this episode, after he got attacked by the Indians (or whoever these guys where) in the previous one. Was that supposed to be foreshadowing the reveal of Ford's narrative, with the Hosts not responding and attacking Stubbs, or was there more to that? Either way, it would have made more sense to have that scene in Episode 10 instead of Episode 9, methinks.

EDIT: Well, maybe it'll turn out Elsie managed somehow to escape Bernard, and reprogram a few Hosts to have them under her control, and she had them captured Stubbs to make sure he was trustworthy. Or some shit like that...

Just finished watching the series and I too had the same thoughts regarding Stubbs' disappearance. Was he killed, or just captured? Was it part of Ford's new narrative, or just Ford tying up the loose ends of Elsie's disappearance by luring Stubbs out into the middle of nowhere?

• 1 month later...

I (finally) watched the first episode, and absolutely loved it. But it was this scene (and the music) that bought me into the show - finally a western scene shot like it's meant to be!

Maybe, but I felt it was much needed. Like the little moment where Hector moves the whore a little bit to the left and the safe falls right over. I thought that was hilarious and true to the genre :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I finished the season, and while there were some minor problems and plotholes, I think it managed to keep a level of excellence throughout the whole thing that really impressed me. For example, I always loved the very first episode of GoT and thought it was really absolutely brilliant, but some of the episodes that followed were not as good, then it picked up again by the end. But here, I don't know if it was me or the universe but I was truly enchanted. There's a lot going on here both over and under the surface, and seems there's plenty of room to keep exploring this world. 

But it's Hopkins who manages to steal every scene he's in. Looking back, I would love to see a Hammond done in this vein. A ruthless businessman that on the surface seems harmelss... I don't know, I just think there was something truly special about his scenes in particular. I was mesmerized by the mistery of his new attraction and how they managed to keep it mostly on the wraps for the viewer. Also I quite enjoyed how they managed to mess with the timeline, making you believe it's mostly done in a straightforward way, but keeps fucking with you at every chance it can.

I want to watch the whole thing again knowing what I know now from the ending and see if it holds up, and what new surprises arise.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yes, I would. It didn't age remarkably well, but it's still an effective film (Yul Brinner is great in it). I think you'll probably like it even more than I did. Be warned, though: it's quite a different experience compared to the TV show. The two barely have anything in common apart from the premise.

Cool, I'll check it out eventually :) 

That being said, you'd be better off watching the Lupin The Third movies I told you to watch (and that you obviously didn't watch!) than watching westworld. ;)

How dare you make such an accusation with no proof! 

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

All right. What did you think of Jigen? And what about that awesome desert chase scene?

Eh... Uh....

Ah....

Oh my God, what the hell is that?!

*runs away* 

• 3 weeks later...