Complete Philosopher's Stone Soundtrack on YouTube

DarthDementous

forgive me if this is already known or has been talked about before, but I found it interesting that there was a YouTube playlist of every cue (at least that's what it claims to be) from the first Harry Potter movie. even more interesting is the subtitle 'COMPLETE ORIGINAL RECORDING SESSIONS' above the album cover. take a look:

The recording sessions for HPATPS leaked years ago. Actually, the recording sessions for every film except Azkaban have leaked online over the years.

19 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The recording sessions for HPATPS leaked years ago. Actually, the recording sessions for every film except Azkaban have leaked online over the years.

thanks for informing me, I guess this post is redundant after all haha.

of course the best John Williams score of Harry Potter hasn't been leaked in its entirety, that's just how it works out D:

I discovered the sessions leaked but only four years ago, so it's really kind of a thing you must be in-the-know, on the right pages sort of deal. I was like: "How did I miss these sessions? I've waited so long for these damn things!" Which I presume is what a lot of people out there are hoping for - complete releases.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Yes it did. All of Philosophers Stone has leaked!

you know what, I respect that opinion.

its kind of like how some people prefer ANH to ESB because it set the thematic foundation for the universe, and a really strong one at that. surely you'd agree that Prisoner of Azkaban (like ESB) is the best sequel-score though, building off past themes and creating new memorable ones while having an even more unique orchestral flavour (I always get Medieval vibes in POA, something which is refreshing for Williams).

JW took a year off in 2003 didn't he? Whenever I listen to POA it sounds as if JW has come back after just recharging his batteries. Some of the layers and instrumentation are phenomenal.

22 hours ago, crumbs said:

Not only does it punch home the emotional heart of Cuaron's direction, it fits the film like a glove and stands on its own as one of the most enjoyable standalone listening experiences of Williams' entire career.

It's so remarkable how perfectly the colour of the score encapsulates the entire Potter universe, I'm certain no other composer could've achieved anything close.

As a standalone listening experience, I'll always prefer the first score. Conventional? yes, but I get a magical feeling from it which I don't get from any of the others. Azkaban certainly fits the film - darker, more quirky, things are getting more serious - but as a coherent work, I don't feel it holds up as well.

Top-of-my-head example, I find the time travel material rather dull, and actually, that part of the film is not the most interesting bit to me.

If the sessions were to leak or LLL brings PoA out, I suspect I'll end up making a playlist of the highlights. I don't feel a need to listen to it all.

POA is definitely the less coherent of the two scores, but I find that part of its charm.

Really, they're both masterpieces, it all comes down to personal preference which one you prefer. :)

I have listened to the complete recording sessions and you realize that the soundtrack album is not even remotely representative of the score.

Like one of the highlights for me is when the kids enter the Great Hall for the first time. Williams introduces a great new theme for that which is absent on the OST.

12 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I have listened to the complete recording sessions and you realize that the soundtrack album is not even remotely representative of the score.

Like one of the highlights for me is when the kids enter the Great Hall for the first time. Williams introduces a great new theme for that which is absent on the OST.

Yes! Fantastic little cue. Love the planing major triads there.

My first heart-sinking moment as a new soundtrack fan was going to both the "Diagon Alley" and "Entry into the Great Hall" tracks and discovering that little alla marcia wasn't included.

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

My first heart-sinking moment as a new soundtrack fan was going to both the "Diagon Alley" and "Entry into the Great Hall" tracks and discovering that little alla marcia wasn't included.

I really like that strained flute-sounding instrument. very evocative of a Medieval kind of sound-scape. do you know what that instrument is called that's used for the main theme of Diagon Alley?

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

I really like that strained flute-sounding instrument. very evocative of a Medieval kind of sound-scape. do you know what that instrument is called that's used for the main theme of Diagon Alley?

I believe in the OST it's simply two recorders (soprano?), but on the YT video with JW playing it with the Boston Pops it appears to be a couple of flutes and a couple of recorders. Not completely sure to be honest!

Is it legal to listen to music on Youtube if not posted by the licence holder (Warner in this case)? Just wondering, not trying to create a stir.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Is it legal to listen to music on Youtube if not posted by the licence holder (Warner in this case)? Just wondering, not trying to create a stir.

It is not illegal to LISTEN to anything, nor is it illegal to watch ANYTHING on youtube.

It can be against the copyright laws for youtube to host certain things, but those get taken down in the copyright holder asks youtube to do so (or their automatic detection software finds it). 

It can always be illegal to download copyrighted material and keep it on your personal computer.

But safely stream away anything on youtube my friend!

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

It is not illegal to LISTEN to anything, not is it illegal to watch ANYTHING on youtube.

It can be against the copyright laws for youtube to host certain things, but those get taken down in the copyright holder asks youtube to do so (or their automatic detection software finds it). 

It can always be illegal to download copyrighted material and keep it on your personal computer.

But safely stream away anything on youtube my friend!

Thanks for the clarification Jay.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

It is completely legal to listen to these illegal stolen files on YouTube, I assure you!

Basically: Yes!

• 2 months later...

The OST for Philosopher's Stone contained the music from the "60-second Coke Ad" as part of the "Arrival of Baby Harry" track.

Of course that was never intended there for the film, but I did always think that musically it worked quite fine being there as a sort of "overture" of things to come.

With the complete score being (unofficially) available, this short but quite amazing section of music has been "depreciated" to the "bonus tracks" section.

Now I wonder: Has anyone ever thought of fitting this somewhere in the "main program"?

Today I gave a quick try to fit it into the complete track similarly to the OST, but I don't think that quite works.

So any suggestions...?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I like it as the very final track, to put a button the score.

Bit similar though to "Harry's Wondrous World" and especially "Hedwig's Theme" that come just before though....? :unsure:

They wouldn't come just before. Those end the main score program, but then you got alternates as well as the entire Childrens Suite after that.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

They wouldn't come just before. Those end the main score program, but then you got alternates as well as the entire Childrens Suite after that.

Ah, I have the Children's Suite as part of my 12-hour(!?!) "Williams Film Works" collection.

So for Harry Potter itself I have:

37 - Leaving Hogwarts

38 - Harry's Wondrous World

39 - Hedwig's Theme

40 - Teaser Trailer

41 - Miniature Suite (=60 second Coke Commercial)

The Teaser Trailer definitely has to be in that short "bonus section" as it uses a rip with different sound quality.

But if I could put track 41 in a better spot, I'd prefer that...