Star Wars Original Trilogy returning to theaters this summer in US

TownerFan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

So crappy Jabba and no "Nooooooooooo" in Return of the Jedi?

The "Noooooooo" was added for the 2011 Blu Rays, so if this is the 1997 cut that will not be in there.

I've never heard of a 35mm print of one of the later versions existing,  so if they dug up actual 35mm film prints, there might be a good chance it's the 1997 version. It'll have Han shooting first instead of at the same time, Luke screaming like the Emperor as he falls down the Cloud City chasm and no blinking Ewoks.

Yay... I guess?

I wonder if this is disturbing confirmation of the rumours that Lucas used the original trilogy's OCN masters to create the 1997 special edition abominations? If true, the only option for Disney (if they want to release unaltered OT Blurays) might be a hybrid of the OCN and some rare second or third generation technicolor prints (good luck securing these from collectors).

I have no doubt that Disney will be able to release the original OT with an excellent picture quality, regardless of the source.  When, or if, they will, is another question.  There might be a hangup with 20th Century Fox (who owns distribution rights in perp to Star Wars).  For all we know, Lucas built something into the deal that his special editions were the "true" Star Wars, and that the original versions should not be released.

It appears that the OT films have been remastered in 4K last year, but rumors said that they were the Special Edition versions (I don't know which version). It's still unknown if these upcoming screenings at Alamo Drafthouse will be film or digital. If it's the former, it's more than likely it's gonna be the 1997 Special Edition print (I don't think any 35mm print of the 2004 or 2011 version exists) as it's the only official version available for rent on 35mm, AFAIK. Anyway, it's much more likely it's gonna be 2K digital projection with the most recent Special Edition updates.

As for having pre-Special Edition version of the OT officially restored and released, it's a lot more complicated than it appears. I read a few months ago that Mike Verta's own "legacy" 4K restoration of the first film is gonna be screened privately for Disney executives this year (he talked about it on his Facebook page, but didn't give any details), but I don't know if this means something about any official release.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

What do you mean, Thor? It's been 19 years since these were in theaters.

Are you sure? I have this weird feeling that the films were put up again just a few years ago. Or maybe they were limited runs?

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Maybe you're thinking of Phantom Menace's 3D re-release in 2012.

Could be, yes. Heck, it could even be the reissues back in the late 90s. Time is flying by so fast now, I can't keep up. 19 years ago!?! That's crazy.

Thor, the late 90s WAS 19 years ago.

The special editions were in theaters in January and February of 1997.

I was talking about this on Facebook how when someone says "40 years ago", I still think they mean the 1950s. Or when they say "10 years ago", I automatically think they mean 1990. As if my brain still subconsciously lives in the 1990s/early-2000s and I need to make a manual adjustment each time.

1 hour ago, Drax said:

I was talking about this on Facebook how when someone says "40 years ago", I still think they mean the 1950s. Or when they say "10 years ago", I automatically think they mean 1990. As if my brain still subconsciously lives in the 1990s/early-2000s and I need to make a manual adjustment each time.

Something about being in the 2010s screws with me. It was easier to do the math in the 2000s, cause I could still think of it as an even 100 and all 20th century terms. Minus 10 is 90s, minus 20 is 80s. But now 16 years in, it's like I officially have to start dealing with the fact that my lifespan straddles two centuries.

17 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Surely even the purists wouldn't have wanted to go yet again, would they? I dunno, perhaps autism is very costly on the wallet.

I want to see the movies on the big screen with an audience again (I haven't watched them since the Blu-rays came out about five years ago, so it's been a while).  I'm not going to make a special trip out of town to do it, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if they did a rerelease.  Heck, I went to see the 3D rerelease of The Phantom Menace when that came out.