Michael Giacchino's The Book of Henry (2017)

Max

@Jay thanks for the heads up! I thought this went out of print! 

I haven't seen the film, but if I don't get the score now, it'll be something I'll regret later on!

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

SimCity? 

Great score in its own right. But he started his own game studio called Exploding Tuba, and developed a game called Divide that he wrote the music for. It’s great!

19 hours ago, Arpy said:

@Jay thanks for the heads up! I thought this went out of print!

How could something go out of print that never existed until a few days ago?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

How could something go out of print that never existed until a few days ago?

I thought it was in print back when it came out and because I'd neglected to see the film I didn't really look into getting the music or realize in fact that it had never been released physically 😂

I watched the film last night to finally give context to the music and boy is it a tonal mess. 

This film really pissed me off and made me depressed over how, given some great actors, some decent cinematography, interesting characters, it could all be so woefully composed. 

Giacchino's score is the only thing that stood out to me as working as a sorof glue, holding this mess together.

A film that I felt handled some of the themes in a more convincing and heartfelt way was 2016's A Monster Calls - which was directed by none other than J.A. Bayona - who would go on to direct Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom after Trevorrow. 

The film is a mess and I think a reveal that Colin Trevvorrow is not the wunderkind some people thought he was.

It's still surprising Spielberg is letting him direct Jurassic World 3 after Kennedy booted him from Star Wars 9

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

The film is a mess and I think a reveal that Colin Trevvorrow is not the wunderkind some people thought he was.

It's still surprising Spielberg is letting him direct Jurassic World 3 after Kennedy booted him from Star Wars 9

Frank Marshall is main person overseeing the franchise at this point, right?  On the one hand you might think because he’s Kennedy’s husband that’s strange, but it might be their make-good with him to mend any hurt egos from the Episode IX situation.

I never thought after seeing Jurassic World that Trevorrow would be a good director for a Star Wars film. Seeing Book of Henry solidified that sentiment.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Frank Marshall is main person overseeing the franchise at this point, right?  On the one hand you might think because he’s Kennedy’s husband that’s strange, but it might be their make-good with him to mend any hurt egos from the Episode IX situation.

It makes me wonder how audiences would've reacted to it like TLJ, to give him the final film in the entire saga is insanely irresponsible. 

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Not sure. I recall the news articles at the time saying Spielberg specifically had hired him. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not sure. I recall the news articles at the time saying Spielberg specifically had hired him. 

Same idea still, given their close association (KK and SS).  “Sorry about that, but hey, this mega franchise is allll yours.”

17 hours ago, Jay said:

The box office for Jurassic World is all they see.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

My CD arrived today all the way from Spain to Australia in three days! 

Having watched the film I'm not sure how the listening experience will go this time around - I kind of liked listening to it detached from the plot and imagining the scenarios in my head! 

I rarely watch the movies to give a good score context. Never ends well. I learned that lesson with Goldsmith’s LEVIATHAN. 

For example, I listen to Christopher Young’s PRIEST imagining it’s a Raven movie.

E173445A-8074-4F5E-83C8-7D34A30A56B3.gif

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Jay said:

Quartet has this on sale for 8,95€

https://quartetrecords.com/product/the-book-of-henry/

Grabbed this then realized with the exchange and shipping it's really the same price as if I grabbed it from Screen Archives.... Oh well.