The Huntsman: Winter's War - James Newton Howard

leeallen01

JNH's Winter's War score is up online. Not really interested in the film, but of course very much so in the score.

I'm about 5 pieces in so far and it's lovely. I've even got the main theme stuck in my head already.

Here's the main theme in its nicest (so far) rendition at 1:30 - 2:20 in Woodwind and 2:32 onwards in strings.

I saw the movie the other day. It's not the most inspired movie I've ever seen but it's pretty fun. The score is good!

There are themes that return from the snow white score like the main title theme, ravenna's theme and a few other motifs. 

The new main theme / love theme is beautiful! I love the flute variation in "You Shouldn't Walk In Shadows" and how it returns in full orchestral grandeur later in the score! The action cues are partly good but some of them are a bit boring to listen to IMO.

All in all a great effort by JNH!

His main theme has really stuck in my head. It has quickly become a favourite of mine from his recent stuff. Some of the harmonies he does with it are wonderful.

This piece has a classic JNH final reprisal of his main theme at 2:13. 

10 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

His main theme has really stuck in my head. It has quickly become a favourite of mine from his recent stuff. Some of the harmonies he does with it are wonderful.

This piece has a classic JNH final reprisal of his main theme at 2:13. 

Yes I totally agree! It's a wonderful theme! His orchestrations really shine when he writes these harmonious beautiful themes!  I love the strings in that cue!

47 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Oddly, I'm less keen on the combination of low brass and high strings. I'd prefer just the brass actually.

His theme is certainly memorable.

The love theme is wonderful! 

Hum, each to his own I guess. I'm really a strings person! :) 

I would like there to be a sequel, just to hear more of that theme!

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I must check out this score.

It releases on Friday but Amazon still says it doesn't know when it'll ship to me. I hope the CD isn't cancelled last minute like it was with Concussion.