Itzhak Perlman Records Bonus Track on Fiddler on the Roof Broadway Cast Album

Bespin

Virtuosic Israeli-American violinist Itzhak Perlman has recorded a special bonus track for the upcoming new Broadway cast recording of Fiddler on the Roof, now running at the Broadway Theatre. The track, "Excerpts From Fiddler on the Roof," is arranged by acclaimed composer John Williams.

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/itzhak-perlman-track-for-fiddler-on-the-roof-album_75906.html

fiddler-1600x1600.jpg

http://www.broadwayrecords.com/cds/fiddler-on-the-roof-2016

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As it seems no one has a better date, I currently use 2007 for the composition of this new arrangement.

This arrangement has been recorded first as it's piano-violin reduction in 2013 by Mathieu Arama.  Then in 2014 (A JW Celebration DVD) and now 2016, both versions by Itzhak Perlman, in an arrangement for violon and full orchestra.

9781423410188: Fiddler on the Roof: Violin and Piano

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography

2007? Violin Fantasy on Fiddler on the Roof (Cadenza and Variations)     2013 Violin Showcase (Matthieu Arama, violin / Aurelien Pontier, piano)  
2007? Violin Fantasy on Fiddler on the Roof (Cadenza and Variations)     2015 A John Williams Celebration (Gustavo Dudamel/Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra; Itzhak Perlman, violin) (DVD & Blu-ray)  
2007? Violin Fantasy on Fiddler on the Roof (Cadenza and Variations)     2016 Fiddler On The Roof [2016 Broadway Cast] (performed by Itzhak Perlman, directed by Ted Sperling)

Williams made a concert suite adaptation back in the 1980's and it appears on one of the Boston Pops albums, That's Entertainment.

I do not know whether this is the same arrangement as the new one from the 2000's when he has been programming it in his concerts a lot.

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎21 at 5:58 AM, Incanus said:

Williams made a concert suite adaptation back in the 1980's and it appears on one of the Boston Pops albums, That's Entertainment.

I do not know whether this is the same arrangement as the new one from the 2000's when he has been programming it in his concerts a lot.

You are right. The violin part seems similar.

I have a listing where " Cadenza and Variations from Fiddler on the Roof (Bock, Arr. Williams) " is used as soon as 2007 in a concert.

The new arrangement is shorter (± 4 min), as it really focuses on the violin cadenza and variations, keeping the minimum references to Bock's music. In my opinion, it really establish John Williams as the composer. There should be no more mention of "Suite from" or "Excerpts from".. From now, this work has a name. Thus, it is easier for a violinist to add it to his repertoire and record it.

Will update the year to 2007.

Who say better? :-)

• 1 year later...

From 0:40 on is definitely just excerpted from his previous arrangement (on the BPO album), but I don't think that intro existed in that specific arrangement before 2007 or whenever this piece was introduced.