John Williams to Score Kobe Bryant short film "Dear Basketball"

pete

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Is the music from this available anywhere?

I saw a rumour that this link has it: https://www.go90.com/videos/261MflWkD3N

But it doesn't work for me, because I'm not in the USA.

The music isolated?

No.

There is only the video.

6 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

The music isolated?

No.

There is only the video.

Ah, right.

Well, I'd be curious to see that one day too. Somehow...

Still, hopefully the music will show up separately somewhere as well.

13 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Is the music from this available anywhere?

I saw a rumour that this link has it: https://www.go90.com/videos/261MflWkD3N

But it doesn't work for me, because I'm not in the USA.

That is the official link to the video but it doesn't have the music track separately or anything

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I keep hoping a clean version is there every time the thread is bumped, but it's people complaining we don;t have the music yet

I'm sure if a clean version is released there will be a new thread for all to see!

• 8 months later...

Thanks everyone for your replies! This piece played on the organ would be magnificent!! 

I am sad sad that there is no plan (thus far) to record/release it. I can’t get enough of his lush Americana orchestral pieces! Hopefully someday! 

Hope you all have a good day! 

Hopefully we’ll get one someday! Until then I guess I’ll just keep listening to the actual film! Ha 

Have a good night! 

Pretty much all you can do is grab the audio from either of the above videos until a legit release happens. Hopefully Williams' interest in expansions of his scores will result in smaller projects like this and others getting released.

I thought that too. It’s too small of a piece to be released on it’s own. Maybe he’ll put together an album of some of his film scores that weren’t directed by Spielberg and Dear Basketball will be on that!

Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a place to listen to just the music. 

I usually just watch the short film or skip right to the end credits where the “suite” is played. 

Hopefully some one day there will be a release or maybe someone can grab the music out of the film somehow! 

As far as I know, the film was never even made available in high-definition, so the various rips of the end credits are very lossy.  Really unbelievable how poorly this was distributed.

I hadn’t considered that point, that’s very true. 

I wouldn’t even think they’d want to make money off the film in the first place. I don’t know though ha 

That’s also fair. That makes a lot of sense, it is unfortunate though that the film can’t be enjoyed in HD. 

I really only really care care about the music though ha 

Khobe seems like a good enough guy though, he obviously has good music taste! 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Got away with rape though, allegedly.

Yikes

Did not know about those allagations! I don’t rewlly follow sports or their partisipants 

33 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't know anything about this film, but why did JW score it? Odd project for him to show an interest in.

He was approached by Kobe, not the other way around. Kobe is a longtime Williams fan. I guess Williams is a basketball fan at some level too (we know he loves baseball and golf, for example, so he is presumably somewhat of a sports fan).

How are so many fans of John Williams only just hearing this now?  We have a long running 13 page thread on this thing!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26315-john-williams-to-score-kobe-bryant-short-film-dear-basketball/

Oh, I knew about it, but I read basketball and Kobe, and that was enough to kind of put me off.

But I always meant to come back to it, if only for the music, see what this is all about!

18 hours ago, D_nev said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a place to listen to just the music. 

I usually just watch the short film or skip right to the end credits where the “suite” is played. 

Hopefully some one day there will be a release or maybe someone can grab the music out of the film somehow! 

Bugger, because if I'm actually going to try this out I'd like to hear it for myself.

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Oh, I knew about it, but I read basketball and Kobe, and that was enough to kind of put me off.

But I always meant to come back to it, if only for the music, see what this is all about!

You should definitely give it a shot, it’s really pretty cool!

42 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Bugger, because if I'm actually going to try this out I'd like to hear it for myself.

I totally agree. 

There are a few exposed areas where you can hear the music clearly (other than the credits) but most of the time its covered up 

10 hours ago, D_nev said:

You should definitely give it a shot, it’s really pretty cool!

I totally agree. 

Well, like I said above, I just did. Yeah, it's pretty great!

57 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well, like I said above, I just did. Yeah, it's pretty great!

Oh I guess I misinterpreted your message! Sorry about that! 

6 hours ago, D_nev said:

Oh I guess I misinterpreted your message! Sorry about that! 

No need to apologise, but I said earlier (not in my previous post) that I watched it. I even asked you where I can do so... :)

• 1 year later...