pete

John Williams to Score Kobe Bryant short film "Dear Basketball"

Very sad 😞 I was at the rehearsals of Dear Basketball and he was so excited and a huge fan of JW giving him a hug and telling the orchestra how thrilling an experience it was for him to stand in front of such great musicians.  He let everyone who wanted take a selfie but it was clear he was giddy with joy at the experience.  I think he said it was his first time in front of an orchestra.  RIP.

la-1504461973-7t7xrzrh6v-snap-image.jpg

.jpg

Here he is at the Star Wars session with the trumpet section.  He was a big time JW fan.

83261446_10220637420066719_6283257628986441728_o.jpg

Great statement. But seeing Williams say "social justice": :folder:

(Nah, I know he's a grandfatherly almost-88-year-old, but that phrase just evokes such a visceral reaction in me these days, what with how it has been weaponized/what it has been used to refer to.)

6 hours ago, rough cut said:

RIP

This score-only video has jumped by about 15,000 views in the last few hours, with hundreds of new views every few minutes.

Through John's music we unite and grieve. I found this an especially touching comment:

ksCPkGB.png

On 3/1/2018 at 5:52 AM, crumbs said:

Who doesn't have a VPN nowadays?

I honestly don't. I don't even know how to use one or who to pay for a reliable one. 

I honestly care so little for the NBA that I never watched this film or listened to its music. 

28 minutes ago, crumbs said:

For some reason, high quality copies of this film seem to be hard to find, but this one is the best quality version I've seen (complete with end credits). Sadly it has burned subtitles, but it's still the best version I've found.

This is the official upload

Not one on YouTube. Wonder if that'll change soon.

It's almost unbearable to watch and listen to this now. I'm incredibly sad for the untimely loss of this powerful, inspiring man in such tragic circumstances. And it's even more painful to think about what the family is going through. May them find solace after this immense grief.

Rest in peace, Kobe and Gianna.

9 hours ago, woj said:

I honestly don't. I don't even know how to use one or who to pay for a reliable one. 

I honestly care so little for the NBA that I never watched this film or listened to its music. 

This. It astounds me how many people here are surprised at how someone can not know about some tech or have not heard some music.

(I barely know how to use a VPN either and I've never needed something desperately enough to try)

On 2/25/2020 at 5:58 PM, The Psycho Pianist said:

Unsure of where to post this - but I started a piano arrangement of this piece a couple of years ago and never finished it. In tribute to the wonderful work Kobe put in on this film, and of course his exceptional sporting career, I now have. Sheet music can be found in the video description :)

Thank you!! Brilliant! 

This just shows how good he is. All those brilliant modulations are just in the right places to rise the feeling and to continue the story. I hope they could have done this also in SW9