John Williams to Score Kobe Bryant short film "Dear Basketball"

pete

Music sounds awesome!! I love Williams in soaring, heart-lifting mode. All sorts of classic Williams-isms! Can't wait to hear the rest. I also love how Williams is able to get really "epic" in orchestration when the film calls for it -- listen to the background strings at one point as the music builds. 

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

It seemed like during the sessions he revised some of it a bit, Williams thought it was "too big" and made it more understated. 

Image result for darth vader no

Unreleased music! Unreleased music that is surely awesome-er than the final version, too. @king mark will not be pleased. I certainly am not! 

Not that I don't appreciate what we've heard so far, though -- see above. ;)

I'm not really that mad, I just suspect the unreleased bigger versions will torment me for a long time. 

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Keane just said the film was temped with Empire of the Sun (I would assume "Cadillac of the Skies")

Woah, that's awesome! I wonder if Kobe personally recommended it? If Kobe likes EOTS, even if it's just "Cadillac," he has some serious JW fan credentials. 

I also think it's awesome because that's one of the most impactful massive emotional JW works for me and that's a great indication of a heart-rending tone -- which, since I first saw your comment, has been confirmed by the little glimpse at the opening. 

oh no.

it's beautiful and unreleased

This could be haunting us for years, especially the  instantly mythical  "bigger version" that was probably recorded and we'll never hear

So will the music be released or it's another  "A Timeless Call"

I love how the video cuts off right as the music swells to a massive thematic statement. :P

Oh well, leaves us more to look forward to when it's released. 

This film/music is awesome!

This sounds fantastic—and it cuts out at just the wrong moment!

Also, the animation is gorgeous.  Someone super-rich needs to just become Glen Keane's patron, Renaissance-style, for the rest of his natural life.

sounds a bit like Flight and Technology from American Journey

6 minutes ago, igger6 said:

and it cuts out at just the wrong moment!

it sure does

6 minutes ago, king mark said:

sounds a bit like Flight and Technology from American Journey

Indeed! Also somehow reminds me of "The Landing" from Amazing Stories: The Mission. 

Also, the very beginning reminds me of "Cadillac of the Skies." I wonder if JW heard the temp track or if that was just coincidental (most probably the latter). 

3 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

I can't see/hear the film clip. Help.

Per Jeff Eldridge over at FSM:

- Visit http://www.downloadtwittervideo.com/

- Paste in https://twitter.com/CountOnVic/status/856263922034388992

- Download the video as an MP4

6 hours ago, king mark said:

I thought the whole movie was released today. What is that animation film made for anyways?

Kobe Bryant is going for a media career now post-Lakers and this was the first project for his production company. This was its film festival premiere this weekend, after it had previously been announced that it would first be shown last fall on the Sports Illustrated website. 

So not sure what happened there, maybe they decided it was good enough for a more prestigious debut. But kobebryant.com is still advertising it as "coming soon" so I imagine the film will still be put online, either for free streaming or as a download purchase. Who knows when, and nothing's been said yet about a score release....

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

John never scored an old-fashioned formulaic, feel-good sports drama, did he.  Guess this is the closest we'll get.

There is JOHN GOLDFARB PLEASE COME HOME, which is about a football player.

Obviously, he has scored many sports scenes, definitely the best of which is THE TENNIS GAME.

(edit) I forgot THE CATAMARAN CHASE.

57 minutes ago, Richard said:

There is JOHN GOLDFARB PLEASE COME HOME, which is about a football player.

Obviously, he has scored many sports scenes, definitely the best of which is THE TENNIS GAME.

(edit) I forgot THE CATAMARAN CHASE.

Yes, but JOHN GOLDFARB is best left forgotten. :D

He's definitely done many good sports TRACKS, though. One of my favourites is the "The Football Game" from SLEEPERS.

7 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Kobe Bryant is going for a media career now post-Lakers and this was the first project for his production company. This was its film festival premiere this weekend, after it had previously been announced that it would first be shown last fall on the Sports Illustrated website. 

So not sure what happened there, maybe they decided it was good enough for a more prestigious debut. But kobebryant.com is still advertising it as "coming soon" so I imagine the film will still be put online, either for free streaming or as a download purchase. Who knows when, and nothing's been said yet about a score release....

I bet they changed the distribution of the film in order to qualify for an Academy Award. I think the debut has to be at a film festival or a movie theater in order to be eligible. Think about it: Kobe Bryant could be an Academy Award winner next year. With the combination of Glen Keane and John Williams, it seems like s slam dunk.

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, but JOHN GOLDFARB is best left forgotten. :D

He's definitely done many good sports TRACKS, though. One of my favourites is the "The Football Game" from SLEEPERS.

I've never seen the film.

Of course, there's always quidditch...

The best "sports" score, is still HOOSIERS.

Just now, toothless said:

I thought I heard a choir in there. And since it's been recorded with TLJ orchestra, well…
Or there is no choir at all :P

Anyway it is a nice piece :)

Well they talked about the ensemble in the Q&A yesterday and only mentioned the 80 or so musician orchestra.  I feel like Bryant would've mentioned a choir.

21 minutes ago, Richard said:

I've never seen the film.

Of course, there's always quidditch...

The best "sports" score, is still HOOSIERS.

I did an episode on sports scores awhile back: http://celluloidtunes.no/spillelister-playlists/ (scroll down to #42 to see my selections). Williams' "Olympic Spirit" made the list, even if it isn't a film score. HOOSIERS was a contender for Goldsmith, but ultimately lost out to RUDY.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Goldsmith proved himself the king of the feel-good sports score.

Bill Conti was no slouch either -- ROCKY, KARATE KID, ESCAPE TO VICTORY, ROOKIE OF THE YEAR, 8 SECONDS....