"The Golden Age of Special Editions on Disc Is Over"

Jay

Major studios maybe, but this is being offset by the sterling work offered by the likes of Criterion, Arrow, Kino, Twilight Time, Shout Factory, Eureka, BFI, Cohen Media, Grindhouse Releasing, Synapse, Blue Underground, Vinegar Syndrome, Scorpion, 88 Films, Signal One, Second Sight, Carlotta, Camera Obscura, Explosive Media, and Koch Media (I've surely left some out). Even Warner Archive are stepping up their game with some stellar editions. For me, we're in another golden age of physical film media right now. I don't know how long it will last, but I sincerely doubt we'll ever see another.

I won't be going 4K Blu-ray, but I have many Blu-rays (and many DVDs), and certainly won't be stopping any time soon. Fuck streaming and downloads!

2 hours ago, Drax said:

Yes I'm still interested in buying discs. Not for everything. I have fewer blu-rays than DVDs, and I'll probably have fewer 4K blu-rays than regular blu-rays.

My situation exactly.

So, in theory, Ultra HD Blu-ray players are capable of playing back "normal" Blu-rays from multiple regions?

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

My situation exactly.

So, in theory, Ultra HD Blu-ray players are capable of playing back "normal" Blu-rays from multiple regions?

I'd hope so.

9 hours ago, Barnald said:

Major studios maybe, but this is being offset by the sterling work offered by the likes of Criterion, Arrow, Kino, Twilight Time, Shout Factory, Eureka, BFI, Cohen Media, Grindhouse Releasing, Synapse, Blue Underground, Vinegar Syndrome, Scorpion, 88 Films, Signal One, Second Sight, Carlotta, Camera Obscura, Explosive Media, and Koch Media (I've surely left some out). Even Warner Archive are stepping up their game with some stellar editions. For me, we're in another golden age of physical film media right now. I don't know how long it will last, but I sincerely doubt we'll ever see another.

I won't be going 4K Blu-ray, but I have many Blu-rays (and many DVDs), and certainly won't be stopping any time soon. Fuck streaming and downloads!

Exactly. The smaller specialty labels are actually stepping UP their game these days. I'm very impressed by (Curzon) Artificial Eye's upcoming Bluray series of Tarkovsky restorations, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_binding_browse-b_mrr_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A283926%2Ck%3Aandrei+tarkovsky%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A383380011&keywords=andrei+tarkovsky&ie=UTF8&qid=1462443104&rnid=383379011

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Exactly. The smaller specialty labels are actually stepping UP their game these days. I'm very impressed by (Curzon) Artificial Eye's upcoming Bluray series of Tarkovsky restorations, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_binding_browse-b_mrr_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A283926%2Ck%3Aandrei+tarkovsky%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A383380011&keywords=andrei+tarkovsky&ie=UTF8&qid=1462443104&rnid=383379011

I forgot about Artificial Eye, another fine label. Let's just hope those Tarkovsky titles eventually surface after all the delays!

Oh, they are definitely coming now. They seem to have given a specific timeframe for the release of the BR restorations. They'll be spread out throughout the year (see Amazon link).

2 hours ago, Barnald said:

Shame Andrei Rublev is the one I'm most looking forward to. Still, I locked in a pre-order at £9 a few weeks ago.

Yeah, it's odd it's coming out in December, months after the previous one in August. Hopefully, they'll "cram" the releases closer together. Ideally, they would have released all of these at once; in a big, beautiful box.

Well, I'm hardly going to watch it in Russian, am I?

The reason that I watched it in English is because the English subtitles do not match the actors' speech. It seems that one "version" is what the actors actually say, and the other "version" is an approximation. As I do not speak Russian (it's on my "to do" list), watching it in English seemed the best option.

I will only watch it in the original language. It's simply not in our culture to watch actors with dubbed voices. It's why we never watched movies on German, French or Italian TV. 

24 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I will only watch it in the original language. It's simply not in our culture to watch actors with dubbed voices. It's why we never watched movies on German, French or Italian TV.

So...Alex...what happens if a film (or TV show) is shot twice; in the original language, and then in English?

18 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Also, even when the sync is slightly off, I go literally nuts. All my Gattaca DVDs have a sync problem.

"All my 'GATTACA' DVDs"? How many do you have? Geez, man, how many do you need?