Michael Giacchino's DOCTOR STRANGE (2016)

Jay

Oh sure. And honestly I'm not 100% sold about his Rogue One score either. The Giacchino scores I like best (Up, Tomorrowland, Speed Racer) are the ones where he doesn't sound anything like Williams.

But I'm certainly curious to see what he does.  I actually kind of hope it's another left turn like this Doctor Strange music is.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but the soundtrack will be released digitally this Friday, October 21!

I can't wait to hear the rest of this score!

All we knew previously was the physical CD didn't drop until November 18

On 10/7/2016 at 11:20 AM, Jay said:

OST is coming Friday November 18th on Hollywood Records

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXFVXYY

I'm glad we'll get it digitally in just 3 days!

If it truly is going up for sale on digital platforms on Friday, you'd think it'd be listed already on iTunes, amazon, etc and we'd know the track list.... but I couldn't find anything

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

If it truly is going up for sale on digital platforms on Friday, you'd think it'd be listed already on iTunes, amazon, etc and we'd know the track list.... but I couldn't find anything

When Disney put the Star Wars Rebels soundtracks for sale on iTunes/Amazon/etc. last month, the soundtracks (and therefore track lists) didn't show up until the day they were released. Maybe that will be the case here?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Also, if someone played this for me randomly without telling me what it was, I never would have guessed Giacchino in a million years

My reaction as well! I think the last couple years have seen him starting to really grow more as a composer, and, as a result, he's certainly beginning to grow on me. Last couple of scores have seen some unexpected surprises from him (in a good way). 

I thought I had it nailed as to the approach he was going to go with this score. If this track alone is any indication, I was horribly wrong, and gladly so. 

Interesting. It's fun and full of wacky energy. I doubt that the entire score is like this. It feels like he just did a crazy version of his main theme for shits and giggles, though it will be cool if it is all mental and fresh like that.

I'm not interested in the film at all really, and will probably just end up catching it when it shows up on tv, like I do with 90% of superhero films. So my only interest in this is purely as a fan of Giacchino. So others will have to let me know how the score plays to the film itself.

This is actually extraordinarily close to what I felt this film would/should need, stylistically - assuming that the lessened emphasis on the symphonic component here isn't representative of the entire score. Not sure about the theme itself, but perhaps I'll warm up to it. I'm hopeful that he managed to avoid the obvious and cloying for the duration of this project.

And there certainly is clear Giacchino DNA in there - listen for La Lune in the middle. Also some Atom Heart Mother, aye?

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

First music.  Wow.  Not what I was expecting.  Gonna need some time and multiple listens to decide how I feel about it.  Surprisingly retro.

Does not sound like Gia. Heck does not sound like a superhero score either.

I love me some classic JonTron!

Well rats. I figured the whole score wouldn't be as trippy, but I was really hoping this was indicative of the type of sound we would hear. I mean, how awesome would it be to hear a harpischord used in a Marvel movie?

5 hours ago, Will said:

Not a big fan of that track, at least on first listen.

I'm glad the rest of the score is more conventional. 

Interesting! 

The whole world loves it, yet one solitary voice sees things differently.

Good...goooood!

Oooh, I'm excited for this score. The last time we heard such praise for Gia before release, we got Night on the Yorktown. 

I might actually have to go see this in cinema...

I'll be listening to the OST as soon as I get back from school tomorrow. Can't wait.

Sounds like there will be a lot of incredible action sequences for Gia to work with. But will he deliver? I was a little disappointed with his Beyond action stuff, overall.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Where would you say his strength lie?

Good question!

Thematic material?

No

Atmospheric cues?

No

Romantic music?

No