Basil Poledouris' STARSHIP TROOPERS - 2016 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

Starship_Troopers_2048x2048.jpg (1500×1500)

Starship_Trooper_Inlay_2048x2048.jpg (1772×1388)

STARSHIP TROOPERS: The Deluxe Edition
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 
Basil Poledouris

UPC: VCL05161168
Release Date: 05/09/16

Limited Edition of 3000 copies
Product begins shipping the week of May 30th

$ 24.98

Here’s one that everybody has been waiting for for a long time.  Basil Poledouris’ Starship Troopers: The Deluxe Edition.  It’s hard to believe and so sad to realize that 2016 marks the 10th anniversary of Basil’s passing.  Basil’s score for Paul Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers (1997) is arguably second only to Conan: The Barbarian (1982) among the most widely-loved favorites of Poledouris’ scores.  Epic Poledouris!

From the bridge of the Fleet Battlestation Ticonderoga, with its sweeping galactic views, to the desolate terrain of planet Klendathu, teeming with shrieking, fire-spitting, brain-sucking special effects creatures, acclaimed director PAUL VERHOEVEN crafts a dazzling epic based on Robert A. Heinlein's classic sci-fi adventure. CASPER VAN DIEN, DINA MEYER, DENISE RICHARDS, JAKE BUSEY, NEIL PATRICK HARRIS, PATRICK MULDOON, and MICHAEL IRONSIDE star as the courageous soldiers who travel to the distant and desolate Klendathu system for the ultimate showdown between the species.

Limited Edition of 3000 copies 

Music Composed and Conducted by Basil Poledouris

2-CD set

Disc One
1. Fed-Net #1 / Bug Attack On Newsman (2:52) 
2. Kiss In The Park (unused) (1:01) 
3. Telepathy Practice / Carl Orders Cyrano (:43)
4. Friends Forever (:44) 
5. Transporting (1:20) 
6. Fed-Net #2 / Crime And Punishment (:19) 
7. Carmen’s Shuttle Ride (1:40)
8. Undocking (1:55) 
9. Teamwork (:46) 
10. Dear John (1:03) 
11. Breckinridge Killed (1:03) 
12. Punishment / Asteroid Grazing (5:36)
13. Call To War / Bad News From Home (2:25) 
14. War!! (:53) 
15. Fed-Net #3 / Countdown To Victory (:39) 
16. Klandathu Drop (4:45)
17. Klendathu Battle (unused) (3:59) 
18. Fed-Net #4 (:59) 
19. The Fleet Limps Home (partially unused) (3:07) 
20. Battle Ready (:36)
21. Rasczak’s Roughnecks (:53) 
22. Tango Urilla (5:12) 
23. Johnny And Dizzy (1:30) 
24. Hopper Canyon / Mess Hall Mess (4:12)

Disc Two
1. “Bugs!!!” (3:00) 
2. Radio Shack / Whiskey Outpost Pt. 2 / Death Of Dizzy (7:25) 
3. Dizzy’s Funeral (1:16) 
4. Rico’s Roughnecks / Destruction Of The Rodger Young / Bug City (9:33) 
5. Brainbug / Cave Nuke (3:57) 
6. They Will Win (3:59) 
7. End Titles (10:03)

Bonus Tracks: 
8. Into It Performed by Zoë Poledouris (4:32) 
9. I Have Not Been To Oxford Town Performed by Zoë Poledouris (3:48)
10. Klendathu Battle (Version 1) (unused) (4:14) 
11. “Bugs!!!” (Version 1) (unused) (2:59)

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/starship-troopers-the-deluxe-edition

Looks like a great set!

But I don't understand why they don't tell us who oversaw the new set?

The back cover of the Volcano DE tells us it was produced by Nick Redman, with track assembly by Neil Bulk & Mike Matessino.

But for SST, neither the back cover or press release tells us anything.  Weird.

Indeed!  I ordered it along with Volcano and Outbreak, which I hadn't picked up yet.

To find another intelligent, educated, pretty, sexy gal who's a good cook, has a great career, massive book collection, is a conservative, atheist, supports that tanned ginger with a combover, knows her films/scores, likes cats, hates kids, hates feminists, hates leftists, understands random pop culture quotes, and is attracted to egomaniacs like me who care way too much for their hair... would be a collossal task!

Yup I can't wait to hear the sound quality of this thing.

This is one of those scores where we've basically had all music for years, but it will be so nice to have it legally and professionally assembled and mastered.

I wish it was shipping sooner than May 30th!

I'd hope so, considering the boot (at least the one I have) fits on a single CD. I'm too lazy to add up the track times above though.

I guess we would like to know more.

Well, the entire album runs about 103 minutes. Not counting the score material it's about 87 (and a half) minutes.

Unless, of course, there is an error on the back cover.

Karol

At first glance "11m3 Zander and Carmen" isn't there, but then a further examination of the times leads me to think they actually moved it out of chronological order and combined it with "6m1a Boot Camp Fed Net" to create "Call To War / Bad News From Home", but I could be wrong.

Regardless, I doubt there's any score you can hear in the film that isn't on the set.

But there do seem to be some alternates missing (1M1A Bug Attack on Cameraman, 3M3 Friends Forever, 3M4 Transporting, 4M2 Carmen's Shuttle Ride, 8M3 The Fleet Limps Home, 10M2 Bugs!!!) - unless the recording sessions log info that leaked is wrong and all those alternates weren't recorded.

Also, all the original source music recorded for the film clearly isn't included at all - of course we have the dvd iso score for that.

Still, regardless of alternates and source music, the main program will be great, I am sure!

Thanks! I'm not that interested in alternates. Unless they really contain completely different material. What I usually want is the complete main score programme.

Karol

Right, and the two alternates that are radically different appear to be the ones they chose to include in the new set, so that's good

• 4 weeks later...

Well.  Varese finally started shipping these out on June 6th (28 days after they took money from anyone who ordered it right when it went on sale) and the first pressing has glitches on both discs.

They occur around 0:23-0:34 on Track 1 of both discs.  Peter Hackman confirmed in the FSM thread the master was fine, and its an error made by the pressing plant.

Joe Versus The Volcano has the same problem on track 2. I can confirm it personally and someone else at FSM reported it too.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=115121&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=2&r=211#bottom

Any word on how many copies they've already shipped to retailers and how they're going to handle this? I fully understand if they don't want to ship twice (especially overseas) and delay an order until the corrected pressings have arrived, but on the other hand, it'd mean waiting one more month for my entire big SAE order.

Update from SAE's website:

Both Varese Sarabande Club release’s for STARSHIP TROOPERS and JOE VS THE VOLCANO have been delayed due to pressing defects - Due June or July 2016. Orders will be held until they can be completed.

Annoying but understandable.

Guys, the extra strings added to Klendathu Drop on the new CD are pretty crazy!  I dunno what to make of it, I feel like its making me tense and nervous!

It's a cool effect but damn, its so different from the original version, that the original version really should have been included as a bonus track at the end...

• 3 weeks later...

Oh great, now my order is stuck in customs. It's only the second time this happened in the past 7 years. Another £14 added to costly shipping rates (basically a value of another 1-disc boutique). Bad luck. And I'm also away now. So it's going to be 2 and a half months since placing my order by the time time I will get this. Hopefully it's worth the wait and money.

Oh the first world problems, you are just about the worst! ;)

Karol

Pretty good? It's so good that I can never bring myself to acknowledge Conan as the single best Poledouris score.

My copy finally arrived today. Listening to it right now, already noticed a few bits that I don't remember from my old boot (or from the film).

I'm loving the complete score. I think it plays way better than Varese's old program.

And my non-defective copy has finally been shipped! If anyone (particularly in the UK) would like my defective copy, do get in touch.

Did anyone purchase a defective copy and receive a replacement copy? I received my replacement but there's still the same error on track 1 disc 1, just slightly different. And now the error on track 1 disc 2 is even worse and continues through most of the track.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Did anyone purchase a defective copy and receive a replacement copy? I received my replacement but there's still the same error on track 1 disc 1, just slightly different. And now the error on track 1 disc 2 is even worse and continues through most of the track.

Got mine last week and it doesn't have any defects.

Karol

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I only received the good version and both discs are perfect. Sorry dude :(

• 4 months later...

Well since I made that post, it's already sold out at Movie Music and Screen Archives.

Music Box Records seems to be the only place that still has copies left.  And coincidentally, they broke their contract with LLL and are already accepting pre-orders for the Jurassic Park collection, so I think you might have your answer

http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/4137-the-john-williams-jurassic-park-collection.html

Wow! It really was still available at Music Box when I posted that!  So by 8 minutes later it was gone there too.... wild!