Basil Poledouris' STARSHIP TROOPERS - 2016 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

So basically we went from "everything is fine and Pieter can order it" to "all gone bloody EVERYWHERE" over the space of a single train ride?!?

I couldn't order until right now and it's already too late. Holy crap indeed!

I blame Varese for not being aware of their inventory levels and getting the word out to potential customers that quantity on hand was low.

It's mainly a shame because I had wanted to give them some support by buying this release.

I admit I'm a bit late to the party, but I hadn't ordered any CDs for ages and figured the Jurassic Park set was a good excuse to place a bigger order.

But hey, it all sold out anyway, so apparently they didn't need me to order this too! :P

Peter Hackman just posted on FSM that Starship Troopers is not actually sold out; Varese's website automatically flips the "Add To Cart" buttons to say "Sold Out" when they are out of STOCK, and not necessarily completely out of print. In other words - more copies will be available on their website when more stock comes in. 

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=117659&forumID=1&archive=0

On 30-11-2016 at 7:22 PM, Jay said:

Peter Hackman just posted on FSM that Starship Troopers is not actually sold out; Varese's website automatically flips the "Add To Cart" buttons to say "Sold Out" when they are out of STOCK, and not necessarily completely out of print. In other words - more copies will be available on their website when more stock comes in. 

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=117659&forumID=1&archive=0

Brilliant! Ordered. :D

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I was tired today and thought it was an Intrada release for a second (which of course it's not).

But I then looked it up on their website and ordering from them seemed to work anyway...? :eh:

Well, its now gone from Intrada's site.

BUT, Screen Archives is letting you pre-order a copy from their new stock they'll get in in late December

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/31562/

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

He’s awesome at both!

He's best at unexpectedly mixing romantic moments into badass action.

14 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

It's okay. Action music isn't really Poledouris' thing. I prefer his mushy romantical stuffs.

It's still available here, but act fast:

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/31562/STARSHIP-TROOPERS-THE-DELUXE-EDITION-2-CD-LIMIT-ONE-PER-CUSTOMER/

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Anyone want a copy of Varese's Starship Troopers?  I'll part with it for 60 bucks.

You don't like it that much?

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

In terms of cue choices, yes. In terms of sound quality, yuck, no.

The OST sounds great (it's a HDCD, too), but it's missing a lot of excellent stuff.

• 7 months later...
On 3/25/2019 at 9:29 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Is it just me, or is the first grand theme statement in the End Title track plagued with heavy wobbling? Like the tape isn't running at constant speed during transfer.

I've never paid it close attention before. I don't hear any "wobbling", but the whole track sounds more raw and less transparent than the rest of the album. The stereo spread also seems notably different. Sourced from film stems perhaps?

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've never paid it close attention before. I don't hear any "wobbling", but the whole track sounds more raw and less transparent than the rest of the album. The stereo spread also seems notably different. Sourced from film stems perhaps?

Wobbling is perhaps the wrong word - I'm talking about the uneven pitch when the theme enters.

Poledouris never wrote anything for the end credits.  The music editors cobbled stuff together for the film, and the Varese DE pulled their cobbling direct from the music stem of the film, they didn't re-create it from the pristine source they used for the main program for whatever reason.

I removed the end credits track entirely from my personal edit of the score for those reasons.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

they didn't re-create it from the pristine source they used for the main program for whatever reason.

That's just lazy producing. Was Sean Murphy by any chance involved? :sarcasm:

I'm not against the idea of including it from the music stem, for people who want it.

But I also like edited suites probably more than some others - a lot of them work as a nice summation of the score.

I'm not opposed to ending a score program with a suite of music already heard in it, if its assembled well and the composer never got a chance to write a proper end credit suite.

But the Starship Troopers one isn't particularly well assembled, and it SOUNDS completely different than the rest of the album due to being pulled from the film's music stem.  It sounds bootleggy.

Eh, the tracked credits being on there is fine. What annoys me is the exclusion of the two remaining alternates. Also the fact that the OST could have fit on Disc 2, but they left it off.

• 6 months later...
So I forgot I had the 2 disc DVD set of Starship Troopers. I ripped the isolated score from it and have it on my hard drive for archival purposes and I plan to separate the tracks for it and it is the film version mixes.

There's some stuff from that I don't know why Varèse didn't include it in their Deluxe Edition release. For example the revised film version of "Bug Attack On Cameraman".

Basically I am not sure why Varèse did not include EVERYTHING that Basil Poledouris recorded for this movie.

BTW I too removed the "End Credits" for this for my personal edit.  Any "End Credits' that Varèse releases on Deluxe Edition that I like that is from a film stem I always delete it.

9 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

You guys got an isolated score and two discs? We really get ripped off in Australia with bonus features.

That sucks.  To be fair there was a single disc set for the U.S. released first. I don't remember how long it was when the 2 Disc DVD set was released.

I noticed another cue they didn't include. 11m3 Zander and Carmen.  That cue can be found on one of the boots for this score. Even though in the film it was dropped but it was definitely recorded.

As I said I really wished that Varèse had released EVERYTHING for this score. I'm sure La-La Land would have made sure that happened.

It's not about the label it's about the producer. If Mike Matessino or Neil Bulk were producing it, it'd have everything. With whoever Varese hired to do this one, it did not. Shame really, it's such a great score. 

The Varese DE of Executive Decision also left off a very significant alternate that was on the boot. (Really a great and very different piece of music.) I too wish Mike or Neil could work on every one of these.

Yavar

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It's not about the label it's about the producer. If Mike Matessino or Neil Bulk were producing it, it'd have everything. With whoever Varese hired to do this one, it did not. Shame really, it's such a great score. 

Ya sorry I meant to actually say that.  I was pretty tired last night when I made that post.

Yes if MM or Neil had been helming the project it everything definitely would have been included. I agree it is a shame and definitely an awesome score.

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The Varese DE of Executive Decision also left off a very significant alternate that was on the boot. (Really a great and very different piece of music.) I too wish Mike or Neil could work on every one of these.

But wasn't that because it would've required a second disc which no one considered to be worth it?