Basil Poledouris' STARSHIP TROOPERS - 2016 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

But wasn't that because it would've required a second disc which no one considered to be worth it?

Nope. The Varese is 75 minutes. The missing significant alternate is 3 minutes. Varese has put out 78 minute discs before. It would have fit. I think maybe they didn’t even realize how significantly different it was!

6 hours ago, publicist said:

For Yavar it's never enough. 

There are countless releases I think are enough. Like for example 95% of everything FSM put out; they were above and beyond exhaustive in their treatment of each score. Most Goldsmith releases are reliably thorough.

Yavar

5 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Nope. The Varese is 75 minutes. The missing significant alternate is 3 minutes. Varese has put out 78 minute discs before. It would have fit. I think maybe they didn’t even realize how significantly different it was!

So you are not talking about the alternate of Drill Team?

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Oh, I am...and I see now that it's over 5 minutes long. But somehow on the version I have with that (SonicAdventure's own "Deluxe Edition"...which frankly has better sound than the Varese as well), the total play time is 78 minutes. Very odd. I guess maybe the Varese includes something that SonicAdventure did not?

Yavar

18 minutes ago, Trent B said:

What's this alternate of "Drill Team" you guys are talking about and from what score?

On 10/27/2019 at 11:30 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

The Varese DE of Executive Decision also left off a very significant alternate that was on the boot. (Really a great and very different piece of music.)

12 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

4 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Oh, I am...and I see now that it's over 5 minutes long.

On 10/27/2019 at 3:32 AM, Trent B said:

I noticed another cue they didn't include. 11m3 Zander and Carmen.  That cue can be found on one of the boots for this score. Even though in the film it was dropped but it was definitely recorded.

Didn't Varese tuck that into "1-13 Call To War / Bad News From Home (2:25)"?  "6m1a Boot Camp Fed-Net" ("Tragedy At Buenos Aires" on some boots) only runs for 1:27, and yet the Varese track runs 2:25, I thought because they added 11m3 (which runs 1:11) into it.

On 10/29/2019 at 12:02 PM, Jay said:

Didn't Varese tuck that into "1-13 Call To War / Bad News From Home (2:25)"?  "6m1a Boot Camp Fed-Net" ("Tragedy At Buenos Aires" on some boots) only runs for 1:27, and yet the Varese track runs 2:25, I thought because they added 11m3 (which runs 1:11) into it.

I'm 100% sure that "11m3 Zander and Carmen" is completely different.  You hear a fade out at the end of "Death Of Dizzy" and when in fact it should go into 11m3 Zander and Carmen which is a deleted scene. In the deleted scene Zander and Carmen are in her cabin getting ready for Dizzy's funeral. You can hear this music in the deleted scene. There's a version of the score that I downloaded called "expanded isolated score" when in fact it's not quite the isolated score as it has unused music like the Zander and Carmen sequence.

"Bad News From Home" is an a previously un-heard piece which I do believe would play when Rico goes into the Major's office and tells him he doesn't want to drop out as his whole family was in Buenos Aires. It should sync up to how the track is played on this release.

• 3 years later...
8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That's an odd cover design.

8 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Looks like a cover from the 50s. I rather like it.

5 hours ago, JTW said:

Great cover. It would be great if they released it on CD with this artwork. 

4 hours ago, Romão said:

I love that cover. I really wish this was a CD release

I personally really dig this cover art too. I’m certain it’s an homage to scifi paperback book covers from the 50s-70s.

Yavar

On 31/05/2023 at 5:37 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

I personally really dig this cover art too. I’m certain it’s an homage to scifi paperback book covers from the 50s-70s.

Yavar

Too bad it's ruined by a poor choice of font and text composition.

I want it though, but I wish the designer had made more of an effort to integrate the text better. In the old pulp magazine fashion.

On 30/5/2023 at 7:30 PM, Romão said:

I love that cover. I really wish this was a CD release

Is there any reason to expect a reissue of the CD would accompany this LP release?  Is there any precedent for that sort of thing?

On 01/06/2023 at 12:19 AM, thestat said:

I cannot over emphasise how awesome this score is - for example, simply this track is like a crazy modernistic percussion ballet that would win a Pulitzer if it was in any other format than film music:

Excellent stuff.

Ah man, Poledouris would be 77 now, if he was still alive. If he'd have even been allowed to write anything close to this now, imagine the music we could have... and still be getting. Massive loss.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I can't remember any Varese CD Club titles coming back into print.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

(Technically a slight expansion, and technically both Masters Film Music releases even though that was treated as a subset of the Varese Club for many years.)

I’m sure there are others… especially if both incarnations of the Club are counted.

Yavar

Didn’t that get a fresh transfer/mastering of some kind though @Steffromuk? But — it wasn’t a Club title.

Oh, but if we are discussing regular releases, didn’t they reissue some other Star Wars recording of theirs on CD? Either the Kojian or the Gerhardt?

Yavar

One way or another, it would be nice to have this back in print for everyone to enjoy. If they were to updated and expand it further I would even buy it again. It's a terrific score. In the meantime, I will definitely add the vinyl release to my collection.

Karol

I think Varèse Sarabande has confirmed in one of the forums that the CD is coming soon. 

Just now, JTW said:

I think Varèse Sarabande has acknowledged in one of the forums that the CD is coming soon. 

I think they just acknowledged a CD batch was coming soon, not specifically Starship Troopers.

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

not specifically Starship Troopers.

I think someone copied one of VS’ replies where they confirmed that the CD is coming soon, but alas I don’t remember where I read it, could be on this forum… I’ll try to find it.

You're just remembering wrong. The Varese account said that a CD Club batch was coming soon, not that Starshio Troopers DE was coming back to CD soon. Here

Am I alone in not caring that much about music that was recorded but not used? It feels like a modern expansion isn't considered complete until they've released basically everything recorded on the stage.

I think I'm just easily satisfied as long as everything featured in the final film is included, as close to the form of its appearance as possible.

Yes you are. Who knows what's rotting in the vault that could be much more interesting than some copypaste rewrite with removed flowery solo lines that the director ordered in the last week of postproduction?

And it seems you misunderstood Jay's posts, the Varese of this score features alternates in place of the film versions.

It's a mix. 

Sometimes it contains the film version and the alternate isn't on it (Transporting, Carmen's Shuttle Ride, Captured Brainbug)

Sometimes it contains an alternate and the film version isn't on it (Fednet#1, Bug Attack on Cameraman, Friends Forever, The Fleet Limps Home, Whiskey Outpost Part 2)

There's only one time where both versions recorded is on it (Klendathu Battle)

And finally for Bugs!!, they included the first and second version recorded, while the final film version (the only cue with 3 versions that we know of) isn't there - though it's almost identical to version 2, just with more percussion added, anyway

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

And it seems you misunderstood Jay's posts, the Varese of this score features alternates in place of the film versions.

Oh I'd got it the other way round, sorry. Yes, I agree that if the set is missing versions heard in the movie then it does warrant another edition at some point.

Does this set in particular point to someone producing the album who hasn't paid proper attention to what's in the film vs an alternate version?

• 4 weeks later...