Expanded releases: those that include the Original Album and those that should

Bespin

D'oh!  Totally forgot about Missouri Breaks and Fitzwilly because the JWFan Filmography page doesn't list the Kritzerland and Music Box releses :P

There's been so much debate back and forth about The Eiger Sanction that I dunno what's accurate; I tend to fall on the side of its the film tracks with many alternate versions used instead of the film takes.

CHECKMATE is probably his "most rerecorded" soundtrack album ever (if it's possible to quantify such a thing). Some of the tracks are based on actual tracks from the series, but they're very different from them. Also, the album has several tracks that don't appear in the series at all. And what a fantastic album it is! Williams' first "solo" soundtrack, and what landed him a recording contract with Columbia (if memory serves).

The Checkmate album is a total rerecording like the others on the list; I didn't include it because we were talking about film scores and not tv scores :)

On 2016-06-20 at 0:15 PM, Jay said:

D'oh!  Totally forgot about Missouri Breaks and Fitzwilly because the JWFan Filmography page doesn't list the Kritzerland and Music Box releses :P

I heard there is a guy who created a website showing in a very comprehensive way all the original discography of John Williams.

Everybody laughed at him when he started this project.

You should consult it!

NOTE : The titles you mentionned above can now be quickly found on the Wiki Discography, by searching the terms "re-recording".

5 hours ago, Jay said:

*deep breath*  The ET OST is *NOT* a re-recording!

Really? I never did listen to the OST, but I always thought it was supposed to be one.

Well, thanks for setting the record straight then! :eh:

Last I checked Amazon had used copies for 34 cents or so, but the listing was screwed up and showed the 1996 track listing.

The Original album of E.T. has even been reissued for digital download in 2015 by Geffen, you have no excuse now!

R-6003702-1408558332-9204.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, Jay said:

(ignore the incorrect track list shown)

I didn't even realize that it had been released digitally, but this is what always kept me from buying it before: the seeming inability of online stores to differentiate between the various versions of the soundtrack released over the years.

On 6/20/2016 at 10:16 AM, Jay said:

*deep breath*  The ET OST is *NOT* a re-recording!

It's exactly the same thing as almost all his other OSTs - a mixture of film cues and concert arrangements, all of which were recorded during the film's main scoring sessions.  Tracks 2-5 and 7 are concert arrangements while tracks 1, 6, and 8 are film cues.

Wow, I always thought the whole E.T. OST was a re-recording! Thanks for setting the record straight. 

12 hours ago, WojinPA said:

You always thought that? You're twelve. What are we talking here, six weeks? 

He's 14.

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 1:34 AM, Will said:

Wow, I always thought the whole E.T. OST was a re-recording! Thanks for setting the record straight. 

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 6:04 AM, WojinPA said:

Come, come, Woj. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant.

On 6/22/2016 at 0:04 AM, WojinPA said:

It's true that "always" in this case is not too long a time -- it means "since last fall." :lol:

On 6/22/2016 at 0:48 PM, Jilal said:

He's 14.

Thanks for setting the record straight! 

On 15/05/2016 at 7:54 PM, Jay said:

Every single John Williams album ever is edited from the raw recording sessions to create an album program that John Williams wanted us to hear.

Not sure what documenting every edit will accomplish, but good luck!

I don't give a damn what JW wants me to hear! I want to hear the full, and complete score, so I can make up my own mind. I was disappointed by the CD of Ep 1, but the expanded 2-cd set is splendid! If Warners can release 2-cd sets of The Hobbit, why can't The Mouse release a 2-cd set of TFA?

Sony?  I think you mean Disney; They have the rights to all future Lucasfilm movies and their scores.

And for all we know, Disney could be working on a 2 or 3 disc set of TFA; Who knows!

On 21 juni 2016 at 0:19 PM, Shatner's Rug said:

But it doesn't contain that 3-second snippet of incidental music from that scene in the middle of the movie! It's incomplete!

Those three seconds are sweet.

On 15/05/2016 at 9:04 PM, Bespin said:

Now I have to get the original CDs of Raiders and Last Crusade :-/

Bess, you don't really need LC, but you need the DCC Raiders, as it has the full version of "Desert Chase".

57 minutes ago, Richard said:

Bess, you don't really need LC, but you need the DCC Raiders, as it has the full version of "Desert Chase".

Of course, you also need the Concord box! :lol: