Unknown Cue from Revenge of the Sith?

So I was on the BMI repertoire, just looking through John Williams' page, mainly to check for any TFA cues, when I came upon a cue I had not seen before, credited to John Williams called "Death of Ki Adi". So obviously Ki-Adi-Mundi is a character in Episode 3 that was killed during the order 66 scene. Does this mean that there was music specifically for his death, or that BMI made a mistake somehow, or there was a character in another movie with that name? I'm kind of confused right now. Take a look for yourself; it's on page 11...

http://repertoire.bmi.com/PublisherCatalog.asp?fromrow=251&torow=275&keyname=BANTHA%20MUSIC&querytype=PUBWORKS&keyid=17754&page=11&blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&affiliation=&cae=&term=

EDIT: On a side, note, the only cue we don't have from TFA that I could find was a cue called "Bring Her to Me". Not sure if it's referring to the film mix, or an unused cue.

Well that's must bizarre. The cue heard in that scene is called "Lament", and the track was titled...what, "Anakin's Betrayal", right? Weird indeed. I got nothin'!

That had crossed my mind. George Lucas does so much re-editing that Ki's scene could have been longer, even possibly before or after the Order 66 sequence.

I found yet another strange title, credited to Williams. It's titled "Leia's Nightmare". I don't recall Leia ever having a nightmare in the OT...

Leia's Nightmare comes from Joel McNeely's Shadows of the Empire that is basically a direct quote from the Carbon Freeze music from ESB, which might explain why it is attributed to Williams.

And by inference it is possible Death of Ki Adi could have been done by other hands but either quoting Williams or just a reworking of his original music.

Actually with something like Leia's Nightmare being labeled composed by John Williams (which of course he did although with McNeely quoting his composition) it makes it challenging to accertain from the BMI database which of this stuff was actually composed by the Maestro as their metadata for each entry is rather scant.

Are all recorded cues for each score listed in this database, with no regard for what's been released on album?

Only had a quick glance but TFA's end credits alone have 3 different entries, which makes sense. Part 1 was Gustavo conducting Luke's Theme, Part 2 was Williams conducting the remainder, and presumably the third listed version of the credits is the rewritten alternate credits suite they recorded earlier in the year (which Williams or JJ was reportedly unsatisfied with, wanting Poe's theme included).

I think there are also different entries there for cues named differently in the sheet music and on the album/other media.

E.g.

GRIEVOUS SPEAKS TO LORD SIDIOUS (name of the OST album track)

GRIEVOUS TRAVELS TO PALPATINE (name of a film cue)

Still no new entries for TFA (aside from the OST tracks, and a few titles from the FYC). Other than the end credit segments you mentioned, I also found a cue titled "Bring Her to Me", which appears to be the only unreleased cue listed. No idea if they're referring to the film mix, or an unused version we don't know of yet.

I wish the site was a little more specific, listing what project each of the cues were from. Until they do so, there's no way of knowing what "Death of Ki Adi" might actually be.

15 hours ago, Incanus said:

I think there are also different entries there for cues named differently in the sheet music and on the album/other media.

E.g.

GRIEVOUS SPEAKS TO LORD SIDIOUS (name of the OST album track)

GRIEVOUS TRAVELS TO PALPATINE (name of a film cue)

It's my understanding that there are two versions of that cue.

And to be specific, the track Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious is an edit which contains music also from another cue from the end of the film so it is not identical with the film version in content either.

• 4 years later...
On 5/16/2016 at 8:25 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

So I was on the BMI repertoire, just looking through John Williams' page, mainly to check for any TFA cues, when I came upon a cue I had not seen before, credited to John Williams called "Death of Ki Adi". So obviously Ki-Adi-Mundi is a character in Episode 3 that was killed during the order 66 scene. Does this mean that there was music specifically for his death, or that BMI made a mistake somehow, or there was a character in another movie with that name? I'm kind of confused right now. Take a look for yourself; it's on page 11...

So, five years later, I have an answer for you: 'Death of Ki-Adi' is not anything from the film or soundtrack, but a usage of that soundtrack in some other media, most likely a video game. For whatever reason, this is probably a snippet of 'Lament' registered under a different title. Can anyone with access to the various Star Wars prequel video game audio files confirm this, or are the files unlabeled?

There's some other cases like this: for instance, 'Windu, Yoda, and Obi-Wan On A Transport' is not an original JW cue title, either. There's also several cues that use the same title as the film, but were split into separate sections for other usages: for example 'The Death of Padmé' has a single entry for the actual film cue, but is also registered as 'The Death of Padmé Part 1' and 'The Death of Padmé Part 2', probably for a video game.

Examples for Revenge of the Sith, from the GEMA Repertoire:

Film Cue Codes

SF6700 Main Title

SF6701 Boys Into Battle

SF6724 They're Coming Around

SF6725 Get 'Em R2

OST Codes

SF7604 Confrontation with Dooku And Finale

SF7613 General Grievous

SF7614 Palpatine's Teachings

SF7616 The Birth of the Twins and Padme's Destiny

Other Codes

SP9213 Boys Into Battle (Part 1)

SP9221 Boys Into Battle (Part 2)

SP9236 Windu, Yoda, and Obi-Wan On A Transport

2 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

So, five years later, I have an answer for you: 'Death of Ki-Adi' is not anything from the film or soundtrack, but a usage of that soundtrack in some other media, most likely a video game. For whatever reason, this is probably a snippet of 'Lament' registered under a different title. Can anyone with access to the various Star Wars prequel video game audio files confirm this, or are the files unlabeled?

There's some other cases like this: for instance, 'Windu, Yoda, and Obi-Wan On A Transport' is not an original JW cue title, either. There's also several cues that use the same title as the film, but were split into separate sections for other usages: for example 'The Death of Padmé' has a single entry for the actual film cue, but is also registered as 'The Death of Padmé Part 1' and 'The Death of Padmé Part 2', probably for a video game.

Examples for Revenge of the Sith, from the GEMA Repertoire:

Interesting! I have all of the video game rips and go through them periodically; none of them have any names like this, typically it's either just something like "jw_action_mid_01", or a string of random letters and numbers.

To be honest I have absolutely no recollection of having ever created this thread. :lol: