The Hobbit: Four Movements for Symphony Orchestra by Howard Shore

Bilbo

Yeah I really thought I was going to click on this thread and see "If Shore did a Hobbit Symphony, how would he go about it?", etc.

Still, we can't get too excited. This is only a 4-part movement as part of a larger show (as far as I can gather). We're probably looking at what, about 15-20 minutes tops? And covering all 3 films? But at least it shows that, contrary to the thoughts of some, he does actually care about his Hobbit music and doesn't just want to move on and forget it even exists. Maybe a larger symphony is a realistic prospect now.

Now we just need someone to attend this and give us a full report.

Thanks to whoever (Jay?) fixed my mess and created this thread for me! Was walking around Dublin on my phone when I got the alert so I just posted it on the first thread that made any sense!

I'd like some details from Doug regarding length (and yes, I am still talking about the symphony)

I sincerely hope it is around the hour mark. I'm just thinking if the show is, say, 2 hours, and it's about Shore's film music in general, I can't see half of it being devoted to The Hobbit. But if this is indeed a preview of a larger symphony, great. It stands to reason that Howard wouldn't put something together solely for this event, so bigger plans must be afoot.

18 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

It's so great that Shore has been able to take the time to write a full cohesive Hobbit Symphony

I'm not intending to burst anyone's bubble (incl. my own), but if we take the LotR Symphony as a blueprint, I wouldn't expect too much in terms of writing new material, SUH. Perhaps some bridging/connecting material between individual pieces, but I really doubt we'll be hearing any new (or original versions of) material. Mind, the LotR Symphony was 90% material as heard on the single disc OSTs, with only very little material that (at that time) would eventually pop up on the CRs.

I'm even worried about the moniker "Four Movements for Symphony Orchestra", coz, y'know, there's chorus in those scores... :P But, naturally, I'd more than delighted to eat my own words in this regard...

A good weekend to all, CK

I think it's very much likely this will be a Suite of movements rather than a proper "symphony" (it should be said that the LOTR Symphony is more a suite than a proper symphony though).

I think it's gonna be drafted from the concert arrangements Shore did for the OST albums, so my guess it's gonna be something like this:

I. A Very Respectable Hobbit

II. Smaug

III. Beyond the Forest

IV. Ironfoot

Pure speculation, of course.

At this point I am just very glad that there is even some kind of symphonic incarnation of this music created for the concert hall, with choir or not.

If there is choir, I wonder if Shore might treat us to that full choral version of 'Misty Mountains' that Doug teased a while back? Probably not, but we can dream!

20 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

It is worth noting we do not have an official name for the four movements, "The Hobbit Symphony" title was made up for this thread.

Given the that it is described as having four movements, I'd imagine the approach would be similar to the LOTR movements.

Given the fact it's gonna be performed in a concert featuring a lot of other music, I don't expect this to be a very long work, but likely a 15-20 min suite, that's why I'm speculating Shore will use at least part of the theme suites he recorded for the OST albums.

Actually, the theory that it will be the concert suites written for the films sounds very plausible.

However, the Event is three days long, maybe the symphony will be performed on one day only, replacing some of the other material?

21 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

If he were to select pieces for concert performance, the film credit suites would make sense. However, this is "world premiere of #TheHobbit: Four Movements for Symphony Orchestra" and will probably tell the whole story in condensed form.

But you have to consider that it's performed within a concert having other pieces. It definitely won't be as long as the LotR Symphony. I would assume first half is various Shore pieces, then after intermission will be the symphony, and I would guess that is 50 minutes at most.

On May 28, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Hobbit Symphony in four parts confirmed by Doug on Twitter. 

This is "The Hobbit: Four Movements for Symphony Orchestra," as the tweets and links indicated. This is not "The Hobbit Symphony." Sorry.

D

LOTR was not quite the same.  The suite referred to above was the first two movements of the symphony (from FOTR) premiered at the RFH with the LPO conducted by Shore in February 2003.

So the total length is 25:40, split like this

I: 6:17

II: 6:04

III: 4:27

IV: 8:52

Sounds cool!

I'm going to take that as confirmation of the CR's until my delusion is otherwise shattered.

So Ironfoot, Beyond the Forest, something Smaug-y, and something else?