Nice JW career retrospective in Variety magazine (Williams confirms work on Spielberg's READY PLAYER ONE)

karelm

So he actually starts Ready Player One in November. Interesting...I guess he'll have that all out of the way by early next spring, which will allow him the rest of the year to do Star Wars intermittently? Plus Edgardo Mortara which is supposed to shoot beginning of 2017 so I suppose they can try to find a block somewhere in summer/fall for that? Maybe?

Plus a new concert piece and the Kobe project. Busy boy.

Didn't expect he'd touch RPO until 2018! Looks like they'll do the Tintin approach:

RPO: Nov 2016 - Feb 2017?

SW VIII: April-Sep 2017

KOEM: Oct-Nov 2017

RPO Pickups - January 2018?

What a wonderful few years we have in store for us! :wub:

1 minute ago, The Psycho Pianist said:

What is this Kidnapping of Eduardo? Seen it mentioned a few times, no clue what it is!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortara_case

Never heard of it myself, but could be interesting if JW scores it 

1 minute ago, alextrombone94 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortara_case

Never heard of it myself, but could be interesting if JW scores it 

Ahhh. So, this hasn't been fully announced or anything yet (beyond early speculation it seems), yet it's being shot and released prior to RPO?

It does seem like the kind of religioso theme that could prompt something quite extraordinary out of Williams, at least if he scores it.

1 minute ago, The Psycho Pianist said:

Ahhh. So, this hasn't been fully announced or anything yet (beyond early speculation it seems), yet it's being shot and released prior to RPO?

It does seem like the kind of religioso theme that could prompt something quite extraordinary out of Williams, at least if he scores it.

Definitely announced. Spielberg's shooting it at the start of next year with Mark Rylance as Pope Pius, turning it around for a Q4 2017 release. He's doing it while RPO spends a year in post-production, similar to the way he shot War Horse while Tintin work was completed by WETA.

Then he'll start shooting Indy V in early 2018.

Why does Williams say "Everything is written in service of the film" and doesn't expect his themes to be popular...

He writes concert suites for most of his scores so that kind of goes against what he says.

It's just Williams' modesty. Of course he writes those suites hoping that people will listen to and enjoy them away from the movie, it doesn't mean that he expects them to be as insanely popular as they've often turned out to be. I think we can presume that he put as much work into "Snowy's Theme" as he did into "The Imperial March" so I think he's just saying there's never any sense of whether or not something is gonna be known as an all-timer and it's not something that he thinks about most of the time unless he's directly confronted with it. He just writes what he thinks will work for the film, and he expands the themes into their own pieces simply because he likes doing it and it's good for the album and concerts.

@The Psycho Pianist @alextrombone94 Thread for the Mortara film here: 

This article is great, Burlingame actually knows what he's talking about, unlike that LA Times Swed guy.

That's cool that Williams goes to Tanglewood even if he's not conducting. Shows how much he loves the place.