Alan Silvestri replaces John Williams for READY PLAYER ONE

Jay

9 minutes ago, king mark said:

I don;t really understand what this movie is about

Well we don't really know for sure, hence why I quoted what the book its based on about to start.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So Indy V will mark their 30th collaboration together

Only if that Jennifer Lawrence movie or that kidnapping movie actually gets made and comes out before Indy V, AND JW decides he wants to do it.  There's no guarantee he'll score any films after RP1 and SW8.

I think it's neat this is the 6th hottest topic on Reddit's front page right now. 

trivial but i dunno

EDIT:
Oops, Mr. Big beat me on this over an hour ago.

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The announcement of Williams' involvement in Ready Player One is currently #4 on Reddit I believe.  

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Apparently the novel has lots of references to popular 80's pop songs, so maybe Johnny will have to share some space with that.

So, 80s pop will be the new Ben Burtt in the entitled ears of JWFan. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Only if that Jennifer Lawrence movie or that kidnapping movie actually gets made and comes out before Indy V, AND JW decides he wants to do it.  There's no guarantee he'll score any films after RP1 and SW8.

The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara is already officially announced and it'll be Spielberg's next film after Ready Player One (he also confirmed to Italian press that he will shoot in Italy sometimes next year, btw). Release date hasn't been set yet, but it's expected to come out in Fall 2017. 

The biopic on war photgrapher Lynsey Addario (It's What I'll Do) in which Jennifer Lawrence is attached to star is still in development, but Spielberg hasn't commited to it yet.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

There's no guarantee he'll score any films after RP1 and SW8.

Although I'm an optimist, there is no guarantee he'll score those films either. Of course, no scoring job is a certainty until it's recorded and all, but with Bridge Of Spies still so fresh in my memory -to which Willams was initially officially attached (GSA website, etc.)- I'd say a Williams score is a guarantee when he's actually busy writing the score.

Finally an assignment with a bit more promise beyond the grandfatherly glow made of pastoral americana and/or old Indy/SW stand by's. Call my curiosity piqued!

Tyler's Now You See Me scores are pretty different / better than the same sounding stuff he composes for most of his other projects. Give it a whirl.

48 minutes ago, publicist said:

Finally an assignment with a bit more promise beyond the grandfatherly glow made of pastoral americana and/or old Indy/SW stand by's. Call my curiosity piqued!

The premise of the whole thing sounds very try-hard and dopey though.  But that never stopped, say, Jerry....

Indeed. Sounds like the kind of thing you read in those hokey pre-teen adventure books.

But hey, it could give us a welcome change in sound for Williams.

On the some the boards, people keep talking about Williams as if he has never utilized electronics in his scores and thus might be unsuitable.  Personally, I hope he does not use them extensively for this score as I find them annoying, but clearly these people have not heard Heartbeeps, the Fury, or even tracks of ESB. 

I know nothing about the aesthetic of the book or what Spielberg might go for, but it's believable that ultimately a composer other than Williams would be more appropriate for it if it's truly something that cries out for a strong electronic presence.

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

I know nothing about the aesthetic of the book or what Spielberg might go for, but it's believable that ultimately a composer other than Williams would be more appropriate for it if it's truly something that cries out for a strong electronic presence.

Who knows, maybe Williams will write his first all-electronic score.

That would be very interesting!  With someone like Randy Kerber filling the usual Pope role as advisor and orchestrator, or in this case synthesist. Yeah, that'd be cool actually.  

8 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Hmm, I think not necessarily. If anything I'd say electronica would be comfortably predictable in this instance rather than something like say, an off-beat fully orchestral sound. Is it too late for Spielberg and Williams to try out avant-garde again? :john:

(I love electro orchestral scoring btw) 

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Tyler's Now You See Me scores are pretty different / better than the same sounding stuff he composes for most of his other projects. Give it a whirl.

I heard a medley of his stuff at few weeks ago and it was dire. But I did quite like his Black Flag score, that was nice. 

Williams going the electronica route would be unpredictable for Williams at least.  

It would be awesome to have something relatively unique in Williams' oeuvre as opposed to another orchestral fantasy score to add to the pile (as great as that pile is)

On 6/10/2016 at 10:26 PM, Muad'Dib said:

Apparently the novel has lots of references to popular 80's pop songs, so maybe Johnny will have to share some space with that.

Oh great... 

---------

This project sounds like it will make for some really unique stuff! 

On 6/11/2016 at 8:26 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Who knows, maybe Williams will write his first all-electronic score.

On 6/11/2016 at 8:34 PM, TheWhiteRider said:

That would be very interesting!  With someone like Randy Kerber filling the usual Pope role as advisor and orchestrator, or in this case synthesist. Yeah, that'd be cool actually.  

Yeah, it would be cool to see Williams give himself a late-career challenge to go out of his "comfort zone." I'm not generally a fan of all-electronic music but I think John Williams could take any style and make something terrific out of it! 

He usually gets other people to arrange any complicated synth stuff for him.

The pulsating motif in Munich, for example. Or The Biker Chase in AI which his son arranged.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:45 AM, TheWhiteRider said:

This.

There are several films in Spielberg's canon that I think JW was the wrong composer for (to avoid derailing the thread, I won't name them), and as soon as I heard he SS was making this film, I was a bit mystified at how JW would tackle it.

Spielberg loves having orchestral scores in his films, so I don't think he and JW will ever go all-electronic. It's likely there's gonna be a slightly larger electronic/synth presence than usual maybe (like in A.I. or Minority Report), but it's fairly safe to assume it's gonna be orchestral for the most part.

I'm hoping for a score in the style of A.I., MINORITY REPORT or even WAR OF THE WORLDS here. Dark, pulsating, perhaps with some electronic ambiance. I actually prefer Williams' approach to synths over, say, Goldsmith's, because Williams at least knows his limitations. He usually uses it very discretely, as slight colorization.

The book is a cross between dystopian sci-fi elements and 1980s-type adventure films (think of Wargames or The Last Starfighter and the likes), so it'll be interesting which angle Spielberg will let prevail. I guess the film will probably nod the stylings of those adventure films we all know well, so Williams' approach could also follow accordingly.

• 4 months later...

We're not sure if shooting's finished just yet, but it's been 4 months so you'd think they'll start spotting in a few weeks.

No word on how VIII is tracking either, which I assume will take longer to assemble a first cut.

2 hours ago, alextrombone94 said:

Any news on whether JW has made a start on this yet? 

Williams previously stated he would start work on the film in November. I guess his schedule is mapped out well ahead of time, so I guess not.