Alan Silvestri replaces John Williams for READY PLAYER ONE

Jay

All I hope for is a protagonist that actually has to overcome some kind of odds instead of miraculously being amazing at everything, or using previously unmentioned items to escape peril every other chapter. It's really that bad.

12 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

using previously unmentioned items to escape peril every other chapter. It's really that bad.

Wow, that does some like amateur writing.

The whole premise is quite intriguing and I would even say quite timely, but the writing really is sub par. It reads like an outline from which a talented writer could spurn an awesome yarn

Combined screenplay and story credits for the RPO screenwriters:

The Avengers (2012)

Behind Enemy Lines

A Better Life

Elektra

Fanboys

The Grand

Incident at Loch Ness

The Incredible Hulk

Inspector Gadget

Journey to the End of the Night

Last Action Hero

Manito

PCU

Suspect Zero

X2

X-Men: The Last Stand

Who's up for a marathon....

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Combined screenplay and story credits for the RPO screenwriters:

The Avengers (2012)

Behind Enemy Lines

A Better Life

Elektra

Fanboys

The Grand

Incident at Loch Ness

The Incredible Hulk

Inspector Gadget

Journey to the End of the Night

Last Action Hero

Manito

PCU

Suspect Zero

X2

X-Men: The Last Stand

Who's up for a marathon....

Oh f**k.

Just call Spielberg's "closer" David Koepp for the final script and you'll have a fantastic screenplay in your hands.

7 hours ago, king mark said:

I still have no idea what this film is about

A young man finds some eighties reference in a vr version of second life and becomes the most famous person ever.

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's a story full of references to '80s stuff. JWfanners will love it because they will recognize and relate to it.

But I wanted Spielberg to reference his own films and he is not doing it!

I doubt he'll quote much of his own stuff at all. It'll be an original score.

I doubt he'd be comfortable with nor interested in writing a score filled with quotes of other composers' work.

I was joking! I have no interest in hearing Williams quote his 1980's tunes or anyone else's in this film.

The whole film will basically be this:

Just references to things people loved from the 80s. No insight into what made them likeable, or any kind of pondering on the nature of nostalgia and how it's essentially warped memories viewed through rose-tinted glasses, exploited on a billion-dollar scale heretofore unheard of. Just scene after scene of "how cool was the 80zzzz, literally everything that happened afterwards was shit and may as well be a post-apocalyptic wasteland!!!!".

I guess it's like how some people see Stranger Things. I'm actually a fan of that show, mainly because I find it to be a good story well acted and told, and the 80s is merely an aesthetic backdrop to that. It's not a literal plot point and the pandering seems so much less obvious.

17 hours ago, Incanus said:

I was joking! I have no interest in hearing Williams quote his 1980's tunes or anyone else's in this film.

1941!

They're being sarcastic.  They still suck at everything.  The only thing worse than unthinking fanboy nerds is ironic jaded nerds.

When it comes to mouth breathing neck beards on YouTube, MovieBob isn't bad.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I actually don't know.

he did make his video about how Titanic is "really that good" winning me over.

Oh, no!

Alex (scratches name 'Moviebob')

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/06/2017 at 3:58 PM, Disco Stu said:

I actually don't know.

he did make his video about how Titanic is "really that good" winning me over.

I'm trying to watch this, but I can't get past his delivery. It's just unceasingly fast. I feel like I'm being bombarded by an auctioneer with superhuman lung volume.

6 minutes ago, Sharky said:

I'm trying to watch this, but I can't get past his delivery. It's just unceasingly fast. I feel like I'm being bombarded by an auctioneer with superhuman lung volume.

Yeah and his Boston accent!  He's an odd duck.  In some ways, a typical neckbeardy comics nerd but surprising at times.

16 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

I know basically everyone feels opposite, but if he had to choose one I'm glad Williams is scoring The Papers instead of RPO.

Disappointing, but not entirely unexpected I guess.  Silvestri is a very good replacement, far better than some other options...  (Djiacchino)

It's still awesome that we're getting VIII AND a small bonus score for The Papers.

While Ready Player One could've provided an interesting new setting for Williams, the story itself is utter crap, relying entirely on 80s pop culture references (which were never really Williams' thing to begin with)

Image result for nooo vader

Silvestri, of course, is terrific. I'm sure I'll love his score. 

But nothing can replace Williams. :(:(:(

And I liked the book and was really looking forward to this. Such a missed opportunity. 

When I first saw the headline, I was praying that maybe it meant Williams and Silvestri were co-writing the score (which would have been pretty awesome). Alas, it was not to be. 

I thought Williams had already done some work for RPO or was that speculation? Maybe I'm confusing that with The Papers?  This is disappointing news to those who were expecting another Williams score.  On a positive note, at least we're getting two Williams scores this year.  What will he do for 2018 then?