Thor

Wanted: Goodbye Mr. Chips (FSM, 3CD)

[This thread was originally also about TOM SAWYER (hence some of the replies below), but that has since been acquired. This is now only about CHIPS].

I'm still looking for this set to a price I can afford. If anyone is willing to sell or trade, or has any leads about places to go where I can get it in an affordable range (maximum $30 plus shipping), let me know.

Because I can't afford it right now. It's $36 with shipping on Quartet's site (plus taxes and customs). I need to buy everything used and cheap, if I can find it. You never know; JWFAN has come through before. But yeah -- I realize the chance is close to zero.

The alternative is to wait and try to save up, but by then I'm worried it's sold out.

Edit: I can trade for several cool soundtracks, though! In case anyone prefers that. Just let me know. I'll send you a list.

Indeed they are.

I forgot to say, I'm also looking for FSM's GOODBYE MR. CHIPS.

Same criteria apply: Either a reasonable price, or -- preferably -- a trade. Again, I have a long list of items for trade.

I hope that Goodbye Mr. Chips will be reissued too, now that the "expanded scores" madness caught me!

I never listened it completely because I never find any quality sample, so it's a sort of urge, a big hole on my mp3 player and CD collection.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I hope that Goodbye Mr. Chips will be reissued too, now that the "expanded scores" madness caught me!

So you've been caught by the "dark side" too, eh? ;)

For me, this is not really about the 'expanded craze', but the fact that the original LP albums of these two (which I own, of course) have very little to none of the original Williams material. So my hope is to get these, and then make a decent playlist containing both the songs and Williams' score material (either separately or intertwined).

When an expanded set also contains the original album, we indeed have no reasonable reason to ignore it!

For the moment, the only thing I have is a copy of the Promo Lp that I digitally restored myself.

It contains few alt cuts, that are even not on the Expanded CD.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

So you've been caught by the "dark side" too, eh? ;)

For me, this is not really about the 'expanded craze', but the fact that the original LP albums of these two (which I own, of course) have very little to none of the original Williams material.

That's not entirely true, especially for Goodbye Mr Chips. While there might not be a lot of underscore material, all the arranging and orchestration work is JW--and top JW in my book. Some of his work here even surpasses Fiddler on the Roof in terms of orchestration. He really elevated the material to a whole another level.

2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

That's not entirely true, especially for Goodbye Mr Chips. While there might not be a lot of underscore material, all the arranging and orchestration work is JW--and top JW in my book. Some of his work here even surpasses Fiddler on the Roof in terms of orchestration. He really elevated the material to a whole another level.

True, but I'm hoping there are actual original compositions on these expanded releases, even if the Williams "touch" is all over the orchestration. I know for a fact there are several bits in TOM SAWYER. CHIPS I haven't seen in a few years, so I don't really remember.

I've managed to secure a good private deal regarding TOM SAWYER (whether it was because of this thread or its sister thread over at FSM, I don't know). Even $4 below my maximum.

However, the one trade option I had for CHIPS fell through. So now I need to find someone who will trade for that.

12 hours ago, Richard said:

Is that a lot?

I don't know what the going rate for GOODBYE MR. CHIPS is on the secondary market these days, but to me that price is so high, it's basically science fiction. Which is why I think Stefan must have been joking.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

I don't know what the going rate for GOODBYE MR. CHIPS is on the secondary market these days, but to me that price is so high, it's basically science fiction. Which is why I think Stefan must have been joking.

A joke. A story with a humorous climax. Not sure if Steef ever made one of those, but...it's his CD to sell, so he can quote what he likes.

Thor, hope you were able to get it(TOM SAWYER)  from the SALE Quartet was having recently. I managed to to pick up a copy from SAE with my other other orders and it should be with me in coming weeks. If not then there is available from one seller on Amazon.com for $22 (sealed of course). Just msg me either on facebook or here.

Yeah, I got TOM SAWYER, although not through the sale but through some private seller. Guess I need to rid myself of the old version now.

However, I'm still looking for the GOODBYE MR. CHIPS 3CD set.

I'm still looking for this set to a price I can afford. If anyone is willing to sell or trade, or has any leads about places to go where I can get it in an affordable range (maximum $30 plus shipping), let me know.

It really need a reedition... For me, even a 2-CD version without all the unnecessary interviews and source music will do the job.

Is it possible to fit all the music (score + album) on 2 CD (without maybe a little less alt takes)?

6 hours ago, Thor said:

No offense, @Thor, but the set was $35 to begin with, it's now OOP and hard to find, and you want it for $30?!?

If you read earlier in the thread, he also wanted to underpay for Quartet's Tom Sawyer even though it is still in print and available direct from Quartet for €19.95

13 hours ago, thx99 said:

No offense, @Thor, but the set was $35 to begin with, it's now OOP and hard to find, and you want it for $30?!?

Yes. I managed to get TOM SAWYER to a price I could afford, and now I'm hoping the same for this -- even if it's OOP. You never know -- perhaps there is someone who is willing to trade, at least, if the price seems unfair.

I haven't got Goodbye Mr. Pommes Frites. I find the overture not that interesting and I can't remember anything else from the score.

@Thor, I'm surprised you replaced your Varese Tom Sawyer with the expanded release from Quartet Records. Was it to get more of the purely instrumental cues? Personally, I found Tom Sawyer (Varese) so annoying that I sold it. Kept a digital copy though, in case of second-guessing.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I haven't got Goodbye Mr. Pommes Frites. I find the overture not that interesting and I can't remember anything else from the score.

It's not exactly a masterpiece, no. I've had a CD-R transfer of the LP since the 90s, but I feel must have one 'proper' soundtrack version. I'm also curious if it has some original Williams material, like on TOM SAWYER.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

, I'm surprised you replaced your Varese Tom Sawyer with the expanded release from Quartet Records. Was it to get more of the purely instrumental cues? Personally, I found Tom Sawyer (Varese) so annoying that I sold it. Kept a digital copy though, in case of second-guessing.

I haven't actually replaced it yet. Now I have both the Varese TOM SAWYER/HUCKLEBERRY FINN and the Quartet. But the former is for sale. Yes, it was to get the original Williams cues (mostly suspense stuff). I've made a digital playlist with the songs/original album, followed by my selection of score cues.

Fiddler on the Roof is the one JW-related musical I actually enjoy listening to. Especially the ten minute long Tradition cue!

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, it was to get the original Williams cues (mostly suspense stuff). 

How does this compare to the rest of the musical?

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Fiddler on the Roof is the one JW-related musical I actually enjoy listening to. Especially the ten minute long Tradition cue!

But it also has insanely grating songs like "Tevyie's Dream". I know he received an Oscar for it, but I've always felt that his FIDDLER work was over-orchestrated.

How does this compare to the rest of the musical?

The original Williams cues in TOM SAWYER are, as I said, mostly suspense cues that have very little in common with the folksy Americana of the songs; or the instrumental variations of the songs. Not terribly exciting, but I'm glad to finally own them.

On 31.3.2018 at 11:54 PM, Thor said:

The original Williams cues in TOM SAWYER are, as I said, mostly suspense cues that have very little in common with the folksy Americana of the songs; or the instrumental variations of the songs. Not terribly exciting, but I'm glad to finally own them.

If the suspense cues are in fact more bearable than the musical cues it would be interesting to hear them.

I repeat myself on this one (I think), but in the last years I had the chance to digitally restore the demo LP of Goodbye, Mr. Chips, there are alt tracks on this one, some alt edits of tracks too, that are not even on the FSM CDs.

It turns to be the way that I listen to it the most.

Would love at least to own the original album from the FSM boxset!

p_mgms1e19_stx.jpg

Goodbye, Mr. Chips [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1969, MGM Records, MGM S1E-19 STX)

Overture; Fill The World With Love; Where Did My Childhood Go?; London Is London; And The Sky Smiled; Apollo; When I Am Older; Walk Through The World; Entr'Acte / What Shall I Do With Today?; What A Lot Of Flowers!; Schooldays; When I Was Younger; You And I; Fill The World With Love (Reprise); You And I (Orchestral Reprise). Lyrics by L. Bricusse; Music Conducted and Supervised by J. Williams.

(Released in 1969 for promo, MGM Records)

Fill The World With Love; Where Did My Childhood Go?; London Is London; What Shall I Do With Today?; And The Sky Smiled; Apollo; When I Am Older; Walk Through The World; What A Lot Of Flowers!; What A Lot Of Flowers! (Reprise); Schooldays; When I Was Younger; You And I; Fill The World With Love (Reprise). (Containing some alternates cues).