Thor

Wanted: Goodbye Mr. Chips (FSM, 3CD)

The promotional LP was made available for use by radio stations. The front cover has a black and white picture with O'Toole and Clark along with the school boys, quite similar to the one used on the commercial release, with no titles. Back cover just have the famous Chips running image along with the film credits, also black and white. Track titles are printed only on the labels.

As for the content, there are some minor differences, probably different takes, that aren't on any other release. Along with the South Pacific album for duo pianos, this ranks among the rarest items on my collection.

I happen to have 2 extra copies of this, however one set is missing the booklet and the other was my original set that I (much) later discovered has problems playing and ripping the last track(s) on discs 1 and 3 (if I remember correctly).

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I happen to have 2 extra copies of this, however one set is missing the booklet and the other was my original set that I (much) later discovered has problems playing and ripping the last track(s) on discs 1 and 3 (if I remember correctly).

So if you combine your two extra copies, you have one complete and faultless set?

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thanks, JTWFAN77. I think I'd like to have a good copy (both booklet and flawless playback), but I appreciate the offer -- if it was an offer!

No problem Thor. I wouldn't know what to ask in any case, and with overseas shipping being so expensive and unreliable (at least from my country) it would probably be better for you to find a copy located closer to where you live.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, just wondering what a realistic achievable price would be for Goodbye, Mr Chips? The used copies listed on Amazon are selling for around $250 but obviously that does not necessarily indicate what someone would be willing to pay.

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, just wondering what a realistic achievable price would be for Goodbye, Mr Chips? The used copies listed on Amazon are selling for around $250 but obviously that does not necessarily indicate what someone would be willing to pay.

Why don't you create an eBay auction for one of your spare copies and post the link in this forum? There's surely some crazy people around here that's willing to pay good money for it. :)

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why don't you create an eBay auction for one of your spare copies and post the link in this forum? There's surely some crazy people around here that's willing to pay good money for it. :)

Ebay unfortunately is not an option for me, if I do sell this I'll end up sending it to Gerry at Soundtrackers to sell on consignment. That's why I need an idea of pricing, too high and it will sit there forever (too expensive to return ship), too low and the cost of shipping to him and his cut (33%) means it's not worthwhile. Another option would be an exchange for some titles I want.

40 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Ebay unfortunately is not an option for me, if I do sell this I'll end up sending it to Gerry at Soundtrackers to sell on consignment. That's why I need an idea of pricing, too high and it will sit there forever (too expensive to return ship), too low and the cost of shipping to him and his cut (33%) means it's not worthwhile. Another option would be an exchange for some titles I want.

I see. But you know you can sell on eBay even if they don't have a site for your country, right? I've done it a lot.

Alternatively, you can list the albums with fixed prices directly here at JWFan.

Problem is payment. My country has very strict currency control. It's easier to just do a trade or get Soundtrackers to handle the payment side, I use the credit received to purchase other things Gerry has for sale. It's a pain but my options are limited.

40 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Problem is payment. My country has very strict currency control. It's easier to just do a trade or get Soundtrackers to handle the payment side, I use the credit received to purchase other things Gerry has for sale. It's a pain but my options are limited.

That's too bad. Isn't PayPal an option either?

On 12/23/2018 at 9:04 PM, JTWfan77 said:

I'd certainly trade with you (if you're talking about a copy that has the liner notes and all that), but although I have more than a 1000 CDs, I doubt I have anything you want. My collection is very skimpy on deluxe C&C editions of anything.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

I'd certainly trade with you (if you're talking about a copy that has the liner notes and all that), but although I have more than a 1000 CDs, I doubt I have anything you want. My collection is very skimpy on deluxe C&C editions of anything.

Hi Thor, we'll as mentioned above, I have two copies which could effectively be combined into one complete mint set. I would just need to check all three CDs to ensure they play and rip perfectly (as I've forgotten which set had the bad CDs that were replaced by another set which arrived without a booklet). 

As for trading, I'm not really beholden to C&C releases that much, particularly with regard to composers other than JW. So there's a good possibility that you would have some things I'd be interested in.

If you'd like to look into it, let me know how you would want to proceed. 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You should start purchasing those extended score releases to use as trade objects.

Not much chance of that, they have become exceedingly costly over the past six or so years (a weak exchange rate being the primary bugbear).

The only other ones I'm sitting with are LLL's Star Trek V (which Intrada effectively rendered valueless), Intrada's first SpaceCamp LE, Intrada's The Black Cauldron and Persevereance's Slipstream (which has been revealed to be a boot albeit a wonderfully produced one for a terrific score that will probably never see a legitimate release).

Cool! If you don't go the 'sales' route, let me check this. There are obviously a great many things I won't trade or sell, but also plenty I will. They will almost always be OSTs, though.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wad referring to the limited releases that will go OOP in the near future.

Yes, that's what I assumed you meant. It's just too expensive, I can't even afford all the titles I would like for myself and have resorted to digital releases for all the newer stuff (mainstream titles of course).

In any case, the days of super inflated prices seem to be waning as it appears the market for these speciality items is shrinking. Let's enjoy it while it lasts.