THE BFG SOUNDTRACK SAMPLES!

Sandor

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

I've been a fan for more than three decades now.  I guess I'm just not worried about squeezing every bit of enjoyment, artificially, if necessary, out of what is likely his last stretch of works.  His masterpieces aren't going anywhere.  I know he's getting old, but it's not as if these are the last chances to experience his music.  Yes, eventually the charm of "new" Williams music will no longer be something we have.  But it's just a personal hangup I have: it feels like I'm doing him a disservice if I try to sugarcoat how I react to a score just because it's this sunset period.  Oh well!

Let JWFan have its first euphoric moments of sampling a new John Williams score. Things even out eventually.

9 hours ago, Tom said:

well, it is a British story about an orphan who unexpectedly enters a magical world.

As for the shopworn critiques, sure, the man is 84, anything he writes is going to resemble in some way music from the 1000 hours he has already written.  I will say this, there is a classical vibe here that I do not hear in HP, HA, or even WH. 

Wasn't a criticism! 

I suppose I am reacting to those who get upset when a new album is called a masterpiece.  Clearly words have different senses.  When a work comes out and is said to be  a masterpiece, all that is meant is that it is Williams in top form, not that the work is a literal masterpiece.  Context matters: much like in sports when someone says "LeBron sucks" or "Favre sucks."  no reasonable person could hold such a view if the terms were interpreted literally.  They are clearly just trying to convey these people are overrated. 

Go Cavs.  

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

I suppose I am reacting to those who get upset when a new album is called a masterpiece.  Clearly words have different senses.  When a work comes out and is said to be  a masterpiece, all that is meant is that it is Williams in top form, not that the work is a literal masterpiece.  Context matters: much like in sports when someone says "LeBron sucks" or "Favre sucks."  no reasonable person could hold such a view if the terms were interpreted literally.  They are clearly just trying to convey these people are overrated. 

Go Cavs.  

Go Tom! :)

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

Wrong analogy. Calling it #shopworn', #derivative, #unoriginal etc. is just stating a fact, even if the choice of words may color it opinionated (tough shit). It may be brilliantly composed, enjoyable and so on, but the basic fact remains, as well as the fact that the more pedantic fans always have a pavlovian/allergic reaction to the mere mention that this is a road more than well-travelled by Williams.

I like what I hear, but it's still to early to tell (it would've still been too early even I had the full cd in my hands). I wasn't expecting a tremendous stylistic change from Williams and I don't think the project was prone to that anyway, at all. But more Williams music is always a good thing. Always

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Wrong analogy. Calling it #shopworn', #derivative, #unoriginal etc. is just stating a fact, even if the choice of words may color it opinionated (tough shit). It may be brilliantly composed, enjoyable and so on, but the basic fact remains, as well as the fact that the more pedantic fans always have a pavlovian/allergic reaction to the mere mention that this is a road more than well-travelled by Williams.

Yes, but that misses that you come across as entitled when you complain that one man's work sounds a bit like some of his others, as if you expect him to magically shape-shift into an entirely different being (whose music you would likely enjoy even less.)

13 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

I don't think they're the kind of thing that Williams would like to hear about himself.

I largely agree with you although I also don't think that Williams would appreciate people forming opinions and making criticisms of his work based on hearing 30 second samples.  Even if your assumptions about the score are proven correct upon hearing the OST in full, it's just not fair to make sweeping statements about the soundtrack based on samples! This goes for people declaring it a masterpiece as well though.

We haven't even heard 15% of the music at this point!

Yes I am not listening to them any more, will wait for the whole OST to be available.

I'm very optimistic from what I'm hearing but I'm definately not calling it a masterpiece before I hear the whole c.d.

Plus you can bet this score has tons of unreleased music

I fear THIS score will be an unreleased music holy grail, more than any other in recent years

TFA wasn't too bad, we got all the highlights (including the music in the academy promo)  and the remaining unreleased music isn't too significant

I dunno.  Depends on how many of the film's 117 minutes had no score recorded for them.

it's just my feeling, but this is the type of Williams score where every cue is important

it sounds like Hook, E.T and Harry Potter, and those have all been complete score holy grails

1 hour ago, JacksonElmore said:

Yeah it's my favorite of all of them. Surprised no one else has really mentioned it

On a superficial listen to the samples (inbetween doing other stuff), that one definitely make me look up what track was playing.

That's always a promising sign.

4 hours ago, loert said:

I can't help but feel like I'm floating through some fantastical forest filled with flickering fireflies and chirping birds and insects, before lifting up above the treetops and into the clouds...and I mean that in the best possible, least clichéd way. 

That's a great analogy.

It's an extraordinary cue, my favorite based on the samples (that may change when we hear full cues). To me the "soaring" part of it sounds like a bird or some other creature is flying high above the ground and gracefully swaying back and forth. When I first heard "Overture" in the Cannes video (obviously not knowing it was the overture) I figured it must be for some sort of flying scene. 

After listening to the sample I actually had to stand up and walk around because I was so overwhelmed by the cue (kinda like Williams after watching Schindler's List, but the emotion for me was joy as opposed to sadness). 

17 hours ago, ocelot said:

Frolic - Offenbach haha, I keep wanting it to go into the Can-Can

Exactly what I thought upon first listening to it!! Definitely an Offenbach/Gaîté Parisienne feel to it, which I love!!

3 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

?

You don't remember the story? After Spielberg screened Schindler's List for Williams for the first time, Williams was so overwhelmed he had to go walk outside for a few minutes, which is what I was referring to.

Then, of course, he came back, and told Spielberg that he thought the director needed a better composer for the film. And Spielberg replied with the famous (well, famous in film score circles) line: "I know, but they're all dead."

The Schindler's List story? It's never been secret. I've known it for years.

New to the forum and have a question. Is there a button I'm missing at the German site to play the samples automatically - or does everyone have to click on each individual song as I am? 

1 minute ago, Kerry Frey said:

New to the forum and have a question. Is there a button I'm missing at the German site to play the samples automatically - or does everyone have to click on each individual song as I am? 

I just clicked on each one.

You have to click on each one.

Of course, you can use Download Helper Firefox extension to save them all to your hard drive for easier playback later.

3 hours ago, Kerry Frey said:

This site plays the same samples automatically: http://www.musicline.de/de/player_flash/0050087329181/0/0/50/product

6 hours ago, Jay said:

You have to click on each one.

Of course, you can use Download Helper Firefox extension to save them all to your hard drive for easier playback later.

Did you do that?

5 hours ago, Sandor said:

This site plays the same samples automatically: http://www.musicline.de/de/player_flash/0050087329181/0/0/50/product

Woah - are they the exact same samples?

1 hour ago, JacksonElmore said:

Did you do that?

Of course!

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Woah - are they the exact same samples?

Yes. Or at least they were when I checked them earlier today.

On June 23, 2016 at 7:23 AM, aescalle said:

"Witching Hour" begining is a completly rip of the "Fury" theme !!!

Yes!  I recognized Fury the moment I heard the clip too. 

Well in all fairness it is a bit of the arpeggio-figure and only those couple of notes, common enough in Williams' other works as well, especially when mystery is concerned, and from a score Williams wrote 38 years ago. Call me a shameless JW apologist if you like but I'll call it a coincidence pure and simple. Not that the similarity escaped me either.

I listened to the samples once and now am happily waiting for the album. I don't have much incentive to see the film though.

I love when I hear snippets from other scores. I'm sure it was a coincidence though. Like Heartbeeps in Catch Me or Accidental in Indy III.