James Horner's THE ROCKETEER - New 2CD Intrada Expanded

Jay

On 6/28/2016 at 8:01 AM, Jay said:

Horner had nothing to do with it; It was an existing piece of music.  This one: 

As I just posted over at the FSM board, there were actually two Charles Williams' pieces titled "Barrage".  The one above is NOT the one featured in The Rocketeer.  But don't fret... I found the correct one:

"Barrage" (Charles Williams)

CORRECT:
World War II - Drama (track 7)
CHAP127
Link:
https://www.universalproductionmusic.com/en-gb/discover/albums/992/World-War-II-Drama

INCORRECT:
The Atom Age - 1940-1959 (track 4)
CHAP237
Link:
https://www.universalproductionmusic.com/en-gb/discover/albums/1877/The-Atom-Age-19401959

Got this yesterday (though no sign of Starship Troopers today, despite getting a shipping notice for each the same morning :().

Anyway, back to The Rocketeer. The sound's good (obviously), but I will adjust the sequencing for my smartphone, placing The Laughing Bandit and possibly the two Melora Hardin songs at the end. Honestly, I don't mind the songs as much, but if I'm already going to the effort of moving The Laughing Bandit, I feel I might as well. The inclusion of the Love Theme in the middle of the main program doesn't bother me either -- actually, I think it works well. After all these years with the OST, it does feel odd to me having The Flying Circus in the middle of the album though. :lol:

Yes, I still keep expecting to hear THe Flying Circus start every time the Main Titles ends :)

Got mine. Agree with you guys on the bewildering choice to put "B the B" and "When Your Lover Has Gone" on both albums (did they really think we were that anxious to listen to two songs that were already on the OST?). Everything else is divine, though. Long overdue release, this.

Little known fact: While I've heard the songs in the film, I've never listened to them on the OST album.

There's got to be something wrong with this release. Intrada always screws something up on their Disney releases.

It's good that they at least try to evoke a sense of period. I mean, it's not like Josh Groban or Celine Dion ballads cutting in.

By the way, is it where they appear in the film?

Maybe the reason they appear in the main programme is because they didn't want them appearing twice on disc 2?

Karol

Yes, of course the entire main program is chronological; Why wouldn't it be?

The press release sort of indicates the reason the pop songs were integrated into the main program instead of as bonus tracks was because Horner liked them.... but still, as album producer I would have done things like this personally:

Disc 1: The Complete Film Score
01 Main Title (4:43)
02 The Gizmo (3:25)
03 Finding The Rocket (1:52)
04 Neville And Eddie (1:07)
05 Testing The Rocket (2:40)
06 Lothar Gets Wilmer (1:44)
07 The Helmet (0:45)
08 Neville Eavesdrops (1:25)
09 The Flying Circus (6:35)
10 A Hero Is Born / Bye Bye Bigelow (2:51)
11 Jenny’s Rescue (3:52)
12 Cliff To The Club (0:49)
13 Cliff The Waiter (0:32)
14 South Seas Send Up (3:43)
15 Neville Sinclair’s House (7:19)
16 Cliff Caught (1:38)
17 Rendezvous At Observatory (8:10)
18 The Zeppelin (7:56)
19 End Title/End Credits (6:30)
20 Love Theme (5:10)

TOTAL TIME - 73:33

Disc 2: The Original 1991 Soundtrack Album
01 Main Title / Takeoff (4:43)
02 The Flying Circus (6:23)
03 Jenny (5:10)
04 Begin The Beguine (3:44)
05 Neville Sinclair’s House (7:20)
06 Jenny’s Rescue (3:21)
07 Rendezvous At The Griffith Park Observatory (8:10)
08 When Your Lover Has Gone (3:28)
09 The Zeppelin (7:56)
10 Rocketeer To The Rescue / End Title (6:30)
TOTAL TIME - 57:16

Bonus Tracks

11 The Laughing Bandit (1:10)

12 Begin The Beguine (Film Mix) (3:44)

13 When Your Lover Has Gone (Film Mix) (3:28)

14 Barrage by Charles Williams (Nazi Propaganda Source) (1:38)

TOTAL DISC TIME - 67:16

Verily I say my friends! Very I say yea!

I've already listened to this release (well, the score part - haven't listened to the songs once) a dozen times, I freaking love it.  So happy with this release!

I just finished listening to this new release and it is such a great score.  I was shocked to realize it was not nominated for an oscar that year.  There is just so much fun and exuberance, memorable melodies, and unbridled joy.  This is just such finely polished music writing and performance...anyone who is a fan of Horner needs this recording.  I think with this new release, I now consider this score to be one of my all time top 10 favorite scores ever. 

EDIT: For those of us who ordered Starship Troopers too, I notice they had a printing press issue so there is a delay.

52 minutes ago, karelm said:

EDIT: For those of us who ordered Starship Troopers too, I notice they had a printing press issue so there is a delay.

Yup, I still haven't received my copy actually.  See info about the glitches starting here

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26328-basil-poledouris-starship-troopers-new-varese-2cd-deluxe-edition/&do=findComment&comment=1250752

Yep.  Only people who ordered on day 1 got faulty copies - and not even everyone who ordered day one, only the people whose copied shipped before the error was discovered.

Well, I recently took a couple from LLL, so now I think my next bulk buy will be from Intrada. I'm looking at:

Rocketeer

Cocoon

Krull

Pagemaster

Star Trek TWOK

Far Off Place

Starship Troopers (since now everyone is jabbering about it!)

This is what happens when I'm putzing around the internet after 11pm on a Thursday.

Only 3 of those are actually Intrada titles

Krull & Pagemaster are LLL, TWOK is FSM, and SST is Varese.

Yeah, that's the only one I noticed was more than like a penny difference (5 cents for Pagemaster :o).  If they can ship them together than the 5 dollars between the two options will probably wash.

• 2 years later...

It's a fantastic score.  One of Horner's finest and well worth owning in the intrada release.  Since it is "temporarily" out of stock, perhaps it will come back.

1 minute ago, Dieter Stark said:

It's definitely one of JH's best scores but the OST is perfect.

The OST is on the Intrada set so people will also get that when they buy this. If it ever comes back in stock.

But the only thing you need from this score is the Laughing Bandit source music. It is better than everything!

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I just wanted the jetpack.

That feels like a bit of a tall order for Intrada to make true.