James Horner's THE ROCKETEER - New 2CD Intrada Expanded

Jay

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's been out of stock forever!

As an apology for the long out of stock status the new printing comes now with a complimentary rocket pack.

This (old) post might be relevant:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7960

Not to seem flippant but we're well aware of the frustrations with out-of-stock titles. We (happily) have quite a number of releases that sell well. Some have already been recently re-pressed, others are being readied for re-pressing now and still others require updating terms to the licensing agreements. We necessarily have to balance our meager funds between brand new projects and repressings.

• 6 months later...

So I took the bait, searched the old FSM release thread and stumbled on this:

Posted:  Sep 29, 2016 - 5:02 AM    

By:  La La Land Records   (Member)

I finally listened to this release. I hardly ever bitch about a release from another label. I love Intrada like a brother, but I really am disappointed with Disc one. Rocketeer is one of my favorite scores of all time, but disc one feels like all the passion has been sucked out of the recording. It's almost muffled. It's like a stack of sweaters were on top of my speakers. I'm straining to hear something and my ears are 18 inches from the speakers. What gives?

I want to cry right now.

MV

Anyway, it seems it went out of stock twice, the second time between August 2017 and June 2018, and has not been repressed since then. Perhaps they are going to revisit the mix since there was quite a bit of complaining about the complete score.

The mix is definitely weird on Intrada's release. The album sounds better. One of the most memorable parts of the score where he runs up the stairs and takes off sounds like it's missing instruments.

I believe in that same thread mentioned above, someone from Intrada chimed in and gave an explanation.

But yeah the actual score presentation sounds much quieter than the album mix.

Here are the discussion threads addressing the issue.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=12&threadID=115737&archive=0

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7129&hilit=The+rocketeer&start=15

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

It did?

Posted:  Sep 29, 2016 - 5:02 AM    

By:  La La Land Records   (Member)

I finally listened to this release. I hardly ever bitch about a release from another label. I love Intrada like a brother, but I really am disappointed with Disc one. Rocketeer is one of my favorite scores of all time, but disc one feels like all the passion has been sucked out of the recording. It's almost muffled. It's like a stack of sweaters were on top of my speakers. I'm straining to hear something and my ears are 18 inches from the speakers. What gives?

I want to cry right now.

MV

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=11&threadID=115737&archive=0

Roger Feigelson    
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:38 am 

Question for you guys -- I've gotten a few questions about the sound difference between the complete program and the original CD program. What these guys are noticing is that the complete program is presented with the natural dynamic range of the original recording. The CD program is compressed, meaning the differential between the quietest parts and the loudest parts has been reduced. It provides a thicker sound, but is a bit of an artificial range. This compression seems to be the dominant choice for mastering these days, while Intrada has been religious about not tampering with the natural range. But...if the preference is for the sound of this compression, there's no reason we couldn't adopt that going forward. Just curious about your all feelings on this.

Ironically sound had to be compressed for LPs because the physical material of vinyl wouldn't allow for a wide dynamic range. It was one of the original selling points of the CD medium that you could have a full dynamic range without the need for compression. Kind of interesting that people seem to prefer the compressed sound! Or perhaps they just don't appreciate the natural acoustic. Thoughts?

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=76002#p76002

It's the kind of thing where if I was super intimately familiar with and obsessed with the score, like I am with, say, E.T., I'd probably have the same complaints.  But for me, it's just a really good James Horner score I put on sometimes.  I was glad I did those iso score videos (which I used the Intrada for), but I'm still just "a fan" of the score and not "an obsessive fan."

• 1 month later...

News from Roger

There will be a new pressing. In fact it's been remastered to match Shawn Murphy's original mastering from the Hollywood CD many people became married to.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=140055&forumID=1&archive=0

Huh? He's saying the main program is being remastered, not the OST program. 

Im buying this again only for the main program. I already have the original pressing of the OST which does sound amazing compared to this reissue. And only if they could remove the 2 jazz numbers from disc 1 and put them as extras on disc 2. (But I know they wont)

9 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Do we like Shawn Murphy's original mastering from the Hollywood CD? Is this good news?

It's never bothered me, but then the samples from the film tracks also sound great to my ears *shrug*

15 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Horner's dynamic range returns.

From I understand, this might have less dynamic range now.

"I've gotten a few questions about the sound difference between the complete program and the original CD program. What these guys are noticing is that the complete program is presented with the natural dynamic range of the original recording. The CD program is compressed, meaning the differential between the quietest parts and the loudest parts has been reduced. It provides a thicker sound, but is a bit of an artificial range. This compression seems to be the dominant choice for mastering these days, while Intrada has been religious about not tampering with the natural range. But...if the preference is for the sound of this compression, there's no reason we couldn't adopt that going forward. Just curious about your all feelings on this.

Ironically sound had to be compressed for LPs because the physical material of vinyl wouldn't allow for a wide dynamic range. It was one of the original selling points of the CD medium that you could have a full dynamic range without the need for compression. Kind of interesting that people seem to prefer the compressed sound! Or perhaps they just don't appreciate the natural acoustic. Thoughts?"

7 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

So who's doing the new mastering?

Get used to disappointment.

7 hours ago, The River (Fal) said:

Get used to disappointment.

Honestly, I'm very well adjusted to it at this point. I'm still holding out hope that they do what Jay suggests and drop the songs from Disc 1 though.

Bad news about that

Would you consider making Horner's glorious score play uninterrupted by the pop songs on the reissue?

Unfortunately no. The album is already remastered. Frankly this becomes a chasing our tail exercise because people have different visions on how to produce something, making it impossible to please everyone. In this case we stuck with how Horner wanted the presentation, which Doug also likes and his vote does count! I am hoping people can find it in their heart to respect that.

• 4 weeks later...

So we're getting essentially a new remaster of this that goes back to the original Shawn Murphy mix:

6/20/2020

Coming in for next week, one of my personal favorites: The Young Lions. Yes, the 1958 Hugo Friedhofer masterpiece. All of it. What a classic this one is! And considering how long we’ve been out-of-stock on The Rocketeer, it feels like a new release. Since this “back-in-stock” title is in fact a very modest “re-master”, maybe in one manner it is new. After re-licensing additional pressings with Disney, and with input from passionate fans of this wildly popular Jame Horner gem, we opted to retain the 1991 levels and EQ decisions as per original scoring mixer Shawn Murphy. Same 2-CD contents, new-ish 2-CD sound. Both this Intrada action-packed best-seller and Friedhofer’s celebrated, Academy Award-nominated score will be available this Tuesday, June 23. Artwork, audio samples and contents will be posted here Monday eve prior. Stay safe!

Karol

Sorry, I am still a bit confused. So the 2016 release hast the complete score part (aka "complete program") uncompressed and the OST part (aka "CD program") compressed? And the 2020 hast the OST part also uncompressed - I hope I did get thir correct? That would mean if I already have the original 1991 OST plus the 2016 SE there is hardly any point in getting the 2020 release? If I am interested in uncompressed music that is...

Thanks for any information or clarification!  :) 

That's not what is said in the Roger Feigelson quote from above. He said: "What these guys are noticing is that the complete program is presented with the natural dynamic range of the original recording. The CD program is compressed...", refering to the 2016 release, if I got things right.

And the 2020 release is said to go back to 1991 Levels and EQ settings, which should be uncompressed...?

As per the discussion on this above page the new mix will be the more compressed one of the original OST.

The CD program is compressed, meaning the differential between the quietest parts and the loudest parts has been reduced. It provides a thicker sound, but is a bit of an artificial range.