James Horner's THE ROCKETEER - New 2CD Intrada Expanded

Jay

2 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

The Elfman ost sounds better than the film version( BATMAN)

I thought it was the mix of the OST on the original LLL release that wasn't as good. On the 4CD set, they both seem good to me, but having read this discussion (and similar ones elsewhere) I am clearly less of an audiophile than I might suppose!

Rocketeer:

The film mix sounds like the album.

Intrada mix is something else entirely.

Batman:

Album and Batman collection version sound great, first LLL is closer to film mix. Sounds fine, but the reissue is improved. 

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I thought it was the mix of the OST on the original LLL release that wasn't as good. On the 4CD set, they both seem good to me, but having read this discussion (and similar ones elsewhere) I am clearly less of an audiophile than I might suppose!

I have the 4cd BATMAN LLL.

Ost is definitely superior to the film

• 1 month later...

Wow.  When those new copies come in and it goes up for sale, it will be the last batch they can sell:

There will be one last batch coming. Then we're at the AFM maximum and can't do more without paying high new use fees.

If I recall correctly that maximum was 10,000 copies, right?

The rules are a bit different now. 5000 is the limit.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=115737&forumID=1&archive=0

Last batch. These will probably sell quick, what with all the discussion on the various boards. Will it be worth the $40 after tax & shipping (in terms of sound quality) to double-dip on this right away? I fear if I don't, I'll wind up reading endlessly about how amazing the new sound is and end up paying $100 for it on ebay.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What was the verdict?

" The court room was adjourned.

No verdict was returned"

Mhttps://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=115737&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=29&r=463#bottom

Ordering it myself too. Basically Main program from disc 1 through disc 2 has been reset to the OST albu  mix and so it should sound better. Hate double dipping though. 

• 2 months later...

I'm listening to this release today for the umpteenth time (the original pressing, haven't opened my second pressing version yet)

For the first time, I noticed a sound quality issue that actually took me by surprise - and I'm listening with earbuds, and it still was extremely noticeable.

right at 5:47 of "Rendezvous at Observatory", the entire sound field suddenly gets pinched, it almost sounds like it goes to mono or something.  What happened here?

I came in here expecting to find this to be a point others had mentioned, but instead I found this timestamp in the same track:

On 6/23/2020 at 1:43 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I'm going to say this again because people seem to think the botched Intrada CD is just a case of altered dynamic range. It goes beyond that. Instruments are dialed way down in this mix and the OST sounds better. 

Please compare approximately 7:35 in Rendezvous at Observatory film score with OST. This was one of the most obvious blunders. The brass is mixed way too low on the film score version. It's also not accurate to how the score sounds in the movie itself, so I'm not sure what happened.

When I got to this point, I hear it too!  The brass is now struggling to be heard from behind the strings and woodwinds.  What happened?

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm listening to this release today for the umpteenth time (the original pressing, haven't opened my second pressing version yet)

For the first time, I noticed a sound quality issue that actually took me by surprise - and I'm listening with earbuds, and it still was extremely noticeable.

right at 5:47 of "Rendezvous at Observatory", the entire sound field suddenly gets pinched, it almost sounds like it goes to mono or something.  What happened here?

I came in here expecting to find this to be a point others had mentioned, but instead I found this timestamp in the same track:

When I got to this point, I hear it too!  The brass is now struggling to be hear from behind the strings and woodwinds.  What happened?

Pinched is a good way to describe it. Not sure what's up with the 5:47 section, but man that section at 7:35...weird. You can hear the horns fine, but the trumpets and trombones are nearly gone. It's almost like a stem is missing for them and all we can hear of them is the bleed over into other instrument mics. 

Or, it's suddenly just mixed really low. How odd, and disappointing to miss the trumpets in a section like that. 

I wonder if this is similar to the Land Before Time situation, and Horner intercut to a better take for that section in the film and for the OST album, but that didn't happen for the new build? 

I have not opened my 2nd pressing  of the cd but Im sure this flub has been corrected in there. Also the 2nd disc (from the first pressing) with the OST program is fine. 

• 1 month later...

So I got Soundtrack Corner's last copy. :P But goddamn, on average the order was €5 more expensive per album I purchased (including shipping) than it would have been over at Music Box Records. Of course, most of the stuff I wanted was sold out there.

I also suspect that this will eventually find its way onto digital sales and streaming, much like Intrada's releases for other Disney products like DuckTales, Homeward Bound 1/2, etc etc.

I was able to get the remastered edition as as well as the previous print. But have not been able to hear the new remaster as yet. 

Anyone else double dipped on this can tell me how well is the remaster in comparison? 

I purchased the latest reprint, so I guess I have the right version?

Like Universal France President once told me (well in french): nothing is perfect in the music domain.

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Just to make sure...

Buy EVERY VERSION!

No the idea is to participate on the projects, then receive the boxsets free!

Hopefully this sell out will prompt Disney to release this digitally, as they have done recently with other Intrada expansions such as Ducktales and the Homeward Bounds.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not listened to the fixed version yet.

I thought the original pressing sounded fine, apart from the wildly incorrect moment with the brass in the Griffith Park cue, which you can fix by just swapping in the OST version

• 3 months later...