John Williams Greatest Themes Oscar Medley

NickMahon

Hello,

I've downloaded (gasp!) the John Williams Oscar Medley. I can recognize some of the themes, but not all. Can you guys help me fill in the blanks? (especially #17, at my count)

1) ?

2) ?

3) 20th Century FOX

4) Star Wars

5) ?

6) ?

7) Titanic

8) Psycho

9) Jaws

10) Pink Panther

11) ? <-- Really want to know this

12) Dances With Wolves

13) ?

14) (I know this one but don't know what movie it's from)

15) ? <-- Really want to know this

16) Rocky

17) ? <----- REALLY want to know this one

18) The Natural

19) ?

20) The Godfather

21) ET - The Extra-Terrestrial

22) ?

23) ?

:music: John Barry - Dances With Wolves - The Buffalo Hunt

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope this helps:

1) Casablanca

2) Citizen Kane

3) 20th Century FOX

4) Star Wars

5) The Sea Hawk

6) Spellbound

7) Titanic

8) Psycho

9) Jaws

10) Pink Panther

11) Exodus

12) Out Of Africa (corrected)

13) Dr. Zhivago

14) Bridge On The River Kwai

15) Patton by Jerry Goldsmith

16) Rocky

17) Cinema Paradiso

18) The Natural

19) The Godfather

20) ET - The Extra-Terrestrial

21) Gone With The Wind

I for one don't care or think it was very good or entertaining,except for the excuse to SEE Johnny on a big time awards show.

K.M.Who stilled is baffled *most* people don't even know John Williams name or what he does even though he did the Pops on T.V for 10 years,wrote the music to all Star Wars films,and appears at the Olympics and Oscars where billions watch.

K.K.M.Who might get to see AOTC a 3rd time tonight,and focus on the music more this time,the unreleased bits.

I for one don't care or think it was very good or entertaining,except for the excuse to SEE Johnny on a big time awards show.

The show or the medley?

I for one don't care or think it was very good or entertaining,except for the excuse to SEE Johnny on a big time awards show..

I agree. I wish they had cut down the number of themes, and showed actual clips from the movies.

I for one don't care or think it was very good or entertaining,except for the excuse to SEE Johnny on a big time awards show..

I agree. I wish they had cut down the number of themes, and showed actual clips from the movies.

• 8 years later...

Do you have this in *good* quality? I've got a rip from a youtube video which might as well be in mono, and tried/failed to find a proper TV rip.

I agree, it's a stunning suite. My favourite transitions are The Sea Hawk > Spellbound, The Pink Panther > Exodus and Magnficent Seven > The Natural. Just wow.

Makes me so proud to be into film music when I listen to it :)

Edit: didn't search for the right thing, got one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjfa_BHMk3Q

Yeah, it's an astonishingly amazing, goosebump inducing handful of minutes!

Something the bloody Oscars should consider themselves lucky for, it's moments like that which still help to give it some real class.

There are so many great moments in it, I love Patton into Rocky!

In light of John Barry's passing, Out Of Africa feels incredibly touching and the transition into Cinema Paradiso, never fails to reduce me to tears.

The whole thing is a splendid arrangement by Williams, I'd love to witness it live.

I love how sumptuous the arrangements are, and 3 or 4 'theme' tracks entered my collection as a direct result of this. I wonder why Fellowship of the Ring wasn't in this though; maybe they only wanted material that had stood the test of time.

Current academy voters should be force-shown this clip whilst repeatedly hit over the head with a guitar.

Hehe, he'd never re-orchestrate a score that beat him to an oscar :lol:

Actually the Oscar Medley is arranged by Conrad Pope. Williams conceived the idea and chose the themes, but the reconstruction and orchestration were done by Pope.

Isn't Williams on record as saying Shore's LotR is rather amateur?

It's the first time I read this and it sounds like bs. From what I remember, when Shore won the Oscar for Fellowship of the Ring, the camera showed Williams giving a happy nod to Shore while walking to the podium.

Yeah, apparently he was so disgusted with the way Lucas hacked up his Phantom Menace score that he spat in his face and slapped him across the face with a pig skin glove.

It blew over though, water under the bridge.

What happened is that backstage after a concert Lucas walked in wile JW was in a compromising position with 2 female clarinet players, or blow-bitches as John Williams calls them.

JW, angry about being caught in the act, and still fuming over the TPM debacle pinned Lucas down against the wall.

"Listen you slicked-hair freak, if you ever walk in on my while I'm having an audition I'll shove my baton so far up your ass that Rick McCallum will have to go were no man had gone before to get it back!

And for the next 2 movies I don't wanna go through this same shit again, if you aint got the scenes, I ain't scoring it, you bitch! Now piss of, before I cut ya!"

Aha, but have any of us spoken to Williams in private? He's all humble and happy in interviews and after concerts, but only Steven knows the true face of John Williams.

Oh I'm sure Williams is disappointed when he doesn't win. I mean it's nice to have 5 Oscars but considering he's been nominated over 40 times, well you do the math. I wouldn't be too happy.

At least the five for which he has won Oscars are all quality, landmark scores, if not masterpieces.

In the long run, nobody will ever remember every score that beat every one of Williams' other nominated scores, nor will somebody have all of them in their collection.

True, and don't forget all the Grammys, Golden Globes and Baftas as well. It's not like he lacking for awards.

But still, he should have 3-5 more Oscars.

Oh I'm sure Williams is disappointed when he doesn't win. I mean it's nice to have 5 Oscars but considering he's been nominated over 40 times, well you do the math. I wouldn't be too happy.

That reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVpCqBgVrTg#t=8m31s

Hehe, he'd never re-orchestrate a score that beat him to an oscar :lol:

titanic is in that medley...

chariots of fire is in a pair of cds of his.

beauty and the beast as well as pocahontas in other cd