THE BFG COMPLETE SCORE Discussion (Spoilers Allowed) - includes Chronological Order of OST

Jay

I will use this thread to break down the complete score as heard in the film and notate any unreleased music, etc.

For now, let's start with a Chronological  order of the OST.  Does this sound right to those who have seen the film?

01 Overture (1:18) [not heard in film and probably not written for it, but might as well leave it as an album opener]
02 The Witching Hour (4:40)
03 To Giant Country (2:33)
05 Sophie's Nightmare (1:57)
07 Fleshlumpeater (1:36)
06 Building Trust (3:25)
08 Dream Jars (3:30) [this is possibly a concert arrangement, or partial film cue, partial album extension]
09 Frolic (1:43)
04 Dream Country (10:10)
10 Blowing Dreams (3:46)
13 There Was a Boy (3:29)
11 Snorting and Sniffing (2:13)
15 The Boy's Drawings (3:05)
14 The Queen's Dream (3:08)
16 Meeting the Queen (3:00)
12 Sophie's Future (2:30)
17 Giants Netted (2:03)
18 Finale (2:13)
19 Sophie and the BFG (8:08)

All corrections welcome!

I have a feeling that dream jars is some sort of concert arrangement, or a cue that he extended. because i don't remember such a long stretch of whimsical flutes in the film. It sounds like something i would have picked up on, like "wow, this has been going on for a while"

I think Fleshlumpeater comes before Building Trust in the film, yeah?

Because isn't Building Trust after Fleshlumpeater's visit, when she washes off all the Snozzcumber and she finds the boy's jacket? Then the end of the track is from that clip that was released online, where he's carrying her around and she says she wants to go dream hunting with him. Then she goes into the Dream Jar room....I think?

Woops, I had Building Trust and Fleshlumpeater in that order then reversed it for some reason.  It is fixed now.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there gonna be a breakdown of the Maestro's score as heard in the film and notably any unreleased cues put up?

Every time a new thing is out, we have the reflex to say the previous things were better... but we change our mind sometimes... often... ;)

On 7/23/2016 at 9:12 AM, Will said:

similarly to how most of us felt initially. But it's not how I feel anymore.

it's such a weird feeling when you finally get it. It took a bit of time for me to love the BFG, but now when i listen to it i'm like "how the hell did i NOT get this the first time??". Weird how the same exact collection of notes can mean drastically different things to me depending on how many times i hear them 

6 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

it's such a weird feeling when you finally get it. It took a bit of time for me to love the BFG, but now when i listen to it i'm like "how the hell did i NOT get this the first time??". Weird how the same exact collection of notes can mean juristically different things to me depending on how many times i hear them 

Juristically? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2016 at 9:01 PM, JacksonElmore said:

it's such a weird feeling when you finally get it. It took a bit of time for me to love the BFG, but now when i listen to it i'm like "how the hell did i NOT get this the first time??". Weird how the same exact collection of notes can mean drastically different things to me depending on how many times i hear them 

I think that's how it is when ever I listen to any song, especially more abstract music like jazz. I'll go back and listen to one of my favorite songs and I'll notice something completely new that will entirely change the way I listen to a song. I think that's what makes listening to music so much fun, it's never the same.

• 1 month later...

I just checked and the BFG concert suite is still not available from Hal Leonard in Signature Edition sheet music form. I wonder if it will ever be available.

I did notice though that there is a piano solo songbook:

https://halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=192070&lid=16&whatsnew=30&searchcategory=00&subsiteid=1&

Interestingly, the last track is "Sophie's Theme." Depending on what it contains, it could be confirmation of what melodies constitute her theme (there's been some disagreement about that). I doubt they would arbitrarily call something "Sophie's Theme" so if anyone gets this book make sure to let us know what's in that track! 

There will eventually be a Hal Leonard Sig Edition.  My guess is Williams wanted to toy with the piece a bit with his summer concerts.  Hopefully, the "definitive" version is now done and will be released on the new compilation CD. 

• 3 weeks later...

The "Sophie's Theme" piano solo piece from Hal Leonard includes the material starting here:

... and lasts until at least 7:20 or so.

So perhaps that is confirmation of what some, including @king mark, have suspected for a while: That Sophie's theme has two parts -- one being the "main theme" and the other being the melancholy theme. 

21 hours ago, Will said:

The "Sophie's Theme" piano solo piece from Hal Leonard includes the material starting here:

... and lasts until at least 7:20 or so.

So perhaps that is confirmation of what some, including @king mark, have suspected for a while: That Sophie's theme has two parts -- one being the "main theme" and the other being the melancholy theme. 

I am fine with it being so. Just, musically they so disconnected. So themes can often have two structures. The main theme - interlude - the main theme. Example are Lara's Theme from Zhivago, Flying Theme from E.T., Luke's Theme, basically most themes. Or sometimes they have two distinct melodies which can be repeated after one another or played repeatedly too. Best example is the Harry Potter theme. Has a clear Part A and Part B. Both can be played one after the other like ABABABABABABAB. 

(Music nazis, the above is not a musically established theory just what I hear.)

I feel the two melodies of Sophie's Theme seem disjoint and cannot be played in an ABABAB fashion. The B melody arises out of the A melody. But the reverse is not true.

14 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I feel the two melodies of Sophie's Theme seem disjoint and cannot be played in an ABABAB fashion. The B melody arises out of the A melody. But the reverse is not true.

well  the BFG Finale starts out with the "B" theme that leads into the main sophie's Theme

47 minutes ago, king mark said:

well  the BFG Finale starts out with the "B" theme that leads into the main sophie's Theme

Ah, that had slipped my mind! You're absolutely right.

15 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I am fine with it being so. Just, musically they so disconnected. So themes can often have two structures. The main theme - interlude - the main theme. Example are Lara's Theme from Zhivago, Flying Theme from E.T., Luke's Theme, basically most themes. Or sometimes they have two distinct melodies which can be repeated after one another or played repeatedly too. Best example is the Harry Potter theme. Has a clear Part A and Part B. Both can be played one after the other like ABABABABABABAB. 

(Music nazis, the above is not a musically established theory just what I hear.)

Well, in terms of the A theme leading into the B theme, I think JW has constructed the main theme remarkably well. The last two notes of the A theme cleverly hint at the B theme and provide a point of rest, almost, before the B theme begins.

20 hours ago, king mark said:

True it does. But it is not an organic transition.

I want a suit where the two melodies are played consistently after each other and are arranged in unison to be convinced that they are part of one theme.

4 hours ago, ChewyBomber said:

Today I made my very first audio edit (using both OST and film channels). Here's the film version of my favourite track of the score : "The Witching Hour". I tried to remove most of SFX, but the way the movie channels are mixed makes it difficult (forgive me for the noise at 2:07).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6dcDpXk4TqYUdkRTN2ekh6RFE/view?usp=sharing

There's another unreleased track I really liked. I called it "BFG's rebellion" :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6dcDpXk4TqS3FydXBUSVRpaE0/view?usp=sharing

Awesome. Would you be able to display the full version of "To Giant Country", "Building Trust", "Dream Country", "Meeting the Queen", and "Giants Netted", as well as any unreleased cues (and there are quite a few too)? Just asking. 

FYI, what you referred to as "BFG's Rebellion" is actually an insert for the cue "The Boy's Drawing."

The complete version of The Witching Hour will be on the FYC at a minimum anyway, along with any important inserts he didn't put in the OST presentation.

Don't think most of those unreleased cues would have offered a lot to the OST, apart from maybe "Soldiers Arrive at Giant Country". But it was nice to hear them.

Love the full version of "The Witching Hour"

11 hours ago, Jay said:

If there is an FYC.

Yeah. And if there is it could just be the OST. :(

Wait a minute -- I sound like King Mark. Think positively Will! :lol:

Anyway, thanks so much @ChewyBomber. It's really great to have these. There are some terrific moments here. I was worried I was going to have to do this all myself since it seemed the score was not very popular. But luckily you came through for us! 

I'm hoping to maybe do a complete edit of this score (time permitting). But I can't really start that until we find out whether we are getting an FYC or not. 

By the way, Chewy, where is the cue you call "BFG's Rebellion" in the film? Where is the music heard on the OST track "The Boy's Drawings"?

On 10/27/2016 at 9:18 PM, Will said:

By the way, Chewy, where is the cue you call "BFG's Rebellion" in the film? Where is the music heard on the OST track "The Boy's Drawings"?

It is the scene where Fleshlumpeater and the other seven giants attempt to find Sophie, right after she discover's "The Boy's Drawing." The BFG takes a stick, lights it on fire, and uses it to scare the giants out of his home. Fleshlumpeater takes the stick from the BFG, saying "Curse you, runt!" The BFG then takes a bucket of water, as he is yelling, "Get out." The crescendo hits the moment when he throws the bucket at Fleshlumeater right after saying, "You is an insult to giants." It is either an insert used in the film,  or it was micro-edited out of the track on the OST. From 1:23 to 1:57 on the track, a different piece is heard which includes a rising triumphant version of the BFG's theme. I think it is an unused extension of the cue, and after that section it would then go into the section of music heard in the film. The section would then follow with the rest of "The Boy's Drawing."

43 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

It is the scene where Fleshlumpeater and the other seven giants attempt to find Sophie, right after Sophie discover's "The Boy's Drawing." The BFG uses a stick lit on fire to scare the giants out of his home. Fleshlumpeater takes the stick from the BFG, aying "Cursed you be, runt!" The Bfg then takes a bucket of water, as he is yelling, "Get out." The cruscendo hits the moment when he throws the bucket at Fleshlumeater right after saying, "You is an insult to giants." It is either an insert used in the film,  or it was microedited out of the track on the OST. From 1:23 to 1:57 on the track, a different piece is heard which includes a rising triumphant version of the BFG's theme. I think it is an unused extension of the cue, and after that section it would then go into the section of music heard in the film. The section would then follow with the rest of "The Boy's Drawing."

Or is it possible that the bit Chewy ripped and calls "BFG's Rebellion" is an insert that replaced some of the OST's music (including the triumphant BFG's theme bit)?

I don't have the film so I can't look at how the scene plays out specifically. But what I suggest in this post is my best guess based on what I know. 

Is there any reason for JW to write two "climaxes" in that cue (one with the BFG's theme and then one with that crescendo)? That's my challenge of your idea of JW's intent (assuming I understand what you're suggesting). 

21 hours ago, Will said:

Or is it possible that the bit Chewy ripped and calls "BFG's Rebellion" is an insert that replaced some of the OST's music (including the triumphant BFG's theme bit)?

I don't have the film so I can't look at how the scene plays out specifically. But what I suggest in this post is my best guess based on what I know. 

Is there any reason for JW to write two "climaxes" in that cue (one with the BFG's theme and then one with that crescendo)? That's my challenge of your idea of JW's intent (assuming I understand what you're suggesting). 

That is what I said. It could be an insert. The only reason I give the other option that it may have been micro-edited out of the OST is because the section of the BFG's theme on the track in the OST does not fit the entire sequence. That is why I think that section of the track on the OST is an unused extension of "The Boy's Drawing." The scene may have originally been slightly longer. It's possible.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure if I will finish this breakdown (as explained above it's a tricky situation), but I will definitely produce something about this score -- perhaps even an edit. 

16 minutes ago, king mark said:

I'd like to know how many minutes of unreleased music in the score

Well, so far I've found 6:32 of unreleased music (this number doesn't include cues that we have in microedited form, though). But I'm not very far. 

On second thought, I have decided to continue my score breakdown. I know this is quite a reversal from what I've said previously. I hope you don't mind too much, @Jay.

I realized it's like complete edits. Lots of people make edits. They don't not make them just because someone else already made a sufficient one. 

In any case, I'm working on the "Building Trust" sequence right now (I'm not sure yet whether it's multiple cues or not) and holy frickin' crap is the complete version of that cue/cues amazing!!! :woop:

I mean, don't get your hopes up too much, @king mark ... you may not like it as much as I do, and part of my love for it may just be that it's largely unreleased.

But it really is incredible. The OST has so many microedits, and there's a TON of great stuff not on the OST. For example, there's one bit on the OST that is actually a less orchestrated version of the film cue. The film version is like "Dream Country," with all sorts of twinkly and shimmering textures over the melody! Pure magic!

It's also just a really terrific scene in the film. 

So far this is definitely my most wanted music for a possible FYC. 

@Jay or @Fennel Ka, do you know if I am using Audacity and I have six channels which ones are the right and left mid channels (what is the track order top to bottom in the display?) I'm new to audio editing but I presume those two channels would be the ones I'd want to use. I could share the complete Building Trust if I know this info. 

17 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

5.1 opens up as:

Left Front

Right front

Center

LFE

Left rear

Right rear

Should I mix left rear all the way to the left? Etc.

------

Here you go everyone!

Building Trust (Film Version)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/56mewh18lxip5g7/BFG - Building Trust (Film Version).wav?dl=0

As I said, I'm not sure if we're actually hearing multiple cues here. Also of note is that there are many alternate bits on the OST, and the OST was microedited a lot, it seems. It's kind of a mess ... but one very pleasing to the ears! :)

@king mark, @Jay, @ChewyBomber, and @Disco Stu, you might be interested.