THE BFG COMPLETE SCORE Discussion (Spoilers Allowed) - includes Chronological Order of OST

Jay

11 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

You should be able tolink them into a stereo track

Okay, I just did that. Now do I mix the stereo track in the center? This is what it looks like now.

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 10.02.14 PM.png

EDIT: I did mix it in the center. Is it better now @Fennel Ka? (see above)

7 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

Sounds ok, what set of channels did you use?

The left rear and right rear (or, as some would call them, left and right mids).

They are not mids, that's only in a 7.1 mix.  A 5.1 mix is just Fronts, Center and Subwoofer, and Surrounds.  A 7.1 mix has Fronts, Center, Subwoofer, Surround-Sides and Surround-Rears.

surround-sound-5-1.jpg (312×428)  vs  surround-sound-7-1.jpg (316×431)

You can't post FLACs of copyrighted music here on the board, no - we can't have that shit on our servers.  However, you can simply post it to Google Drive and provide a link to stream it from there, like Faleel does with all his stuff.  Please edit your post immediately.

I've posted a new streaming link above (and here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/56mewh18lxip5g7/BFG - Building Trust (Film Version).wav?dl=0) to the film version of Building Trust. By that I mean that it seems to cover what the OST track covers -- it might, however, be two or three different cues, I'm not sure yet. It uses the left and right surround (side) channels from the 5.1 lossy mix. 

I am so impressed by this scene and cue. Hearing it in context again has been incredible. And there are quite a few terrific bits that weren't on the OST. 

Still can't get over how great that twinkly bit followed by those two melancholy brass chords is. And it's even better when you experience it in the film itself. 

Anyway, enjoy!

13 hours ago, Will said:

I've posted a new streaming link above (and here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/56mewh18lxip5g7/BFG - Building Trust (Film Version).wav?dl=0) to the film version of Building Trust. By that I mean that it seems to cover what the OST track covers -- it might, however, be two or three different cues, I'm not sure yet. It uses the left and right surround (side) channels from the 5.1 lossy mix. 

I am so impressed by this scene and cue. Hearing it in context again has been incredible. And there are quite a few terrific bits that weren't on the OST. 

Still can't get over how great that twinkly bit followed by those two melancholy brass chords is. And it's even better when you experience it in the film itself. 

Anyway, enjoy!

Wow! I really love the part starting at 02:00, some sounds remind me of Star Wars II somehow :o Great job Will.

On 11/3/2016 at 0:57 AM, Stefancos said:

I think Will should be banned for posting bootlegged material here!

Wait, did I go to the wrong forum? Is this FSM? ;)

http://fr.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FSM

FSM

Stands for Flying Spaghetti Mosnter. The Flying Spaghetti and Meatball monster is believed to be the one who created the world, by Pastafarianists. Initially Pastafarianism was created to protest the Kansas State School Board's decision to teach "Intelligent Design" in schools, one man invented a parody religion, Pastafarianism. Pastafarianists believe the FSM created the world. The FSM and concept of Pastafarianism eventually became an actual religion, one with a bible and church. Unlike what some people may believe, the FSM was not created by atheists to mock the concept of religion.

Pastafarianists believe in the FSM.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Will, please observe that political discussion is not allowed on this forum!

Thank you.

Let the moderators do the moderating.

;)

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

:up:

There's a really cool classical or baroque-styled JW cue for the scene where the queen is calling the mayor and her assistant is fixing up Sophie's hair for breakfast! It uses harpsichord and includes the main theme.

I'll try to post it later if I have time.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something you might enjoy. 

It's the cue I call "They're Gone." It plays as Sophie and the BFG watch the helicopters fly away with the bad giants in tow, taking them away forever. It's the "victory" moment of the story, essentially. And then everything afterward is "epilogue," more or less. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pn70z8f6i3z3tg/The BFG - They're Gone.wav?dl=0

@mrbellamy, this is the unreleased cue you most wanted from the film after seeing it so you might be interested. I've been excited for a while to hear this one, too. @king mark and @ChewyBomber, you might be interested as well. 

The beginning of this cue sounds exactly like part of the end of "Dream Country" (could it even be tracked, and then the big theme statement is an insert?)

I'll have more unreleased stuff coming...

EDIT: Okay, here's the baroque or classical-styled cue that I mentioned a while back. It's wonderful - :wub:

Getting Ready for Breakfast

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjic2brh734plpd/The BFG - Getting Ready for Breakfast.wav?dl=0

Enjoy!

I had to add a ton of gain because it was way too quiet, so people on higher-end headphones might hear some distortion (?, there must be distortion, right?). 

10 hours ago, Will said:

Here's something you might enjoy. 

It's the cue I call "They're Gone." It plays as Sophie and the BFG watch the helicopters fly away with the bad giants in tow, taking them away forever. It's the "victory" moment of the story, essentially. And then everything afterward is "epilogue," more or less. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pn70z8f6i3z3tg/The BFG - They're Gone.wav?dl=0

@mrbellamy, this is the unreleased cue you most wanted from the film after seeing it so you might be interested. I've been excited for a while to hear this one, too. @king mark and @ChewyBomber, you might be interested as well. 

Is that the quote of Sophie's Theme when Sophie is on the BFG's shoulders? I thought I remembered it sounded more triumphant

There's also an action cue inside the BFG's hut I think is unreleased ...what it that one?

One slightly humorous thing I noticed that I've forgotten to mention is that, several times early in the film, cues end right as the BFG smacks his knife at the snozzcumber, a jolting sound. Not too important but kind of funny.

15 hours ago, king mark said:

Is that the quote of Sophie's Theme when Sophie is on the BFG's shoulders? I thought I remembered it sounded more triumphant

Yes, that's the one. I don't remember it from the film, but I'd read descriptions of it and I too was a little surprised at how it wasn't as "satisfying" as I hoped. 

15 hours ago, king mark said:

There's also an action cue inside the BFG's hut I think is unreleased ...what it that one?

Is this it?

(from Chewy Bomber)

(I know it's not really an action cue, but it does have some action-y bits; it plays as the BFG throws water at the giants to make them leave the hut)

If not, do you know where in the film, roughly, this cue you speak of is?

I suppose you could be referring to "Time to Hunt," when the giants arrive at the hut, realizing for sure that there's a human there (it's right before "Snorting and Sniffing"). But that's more of a suspense cue than an action one. 

To help you pin down where this cue is...

Wikipedia has a plot description here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_BFG_(2016_film)#Plot

And of course there's my cue by cue analysis:

-----------------------------------

Here's something else everyone: A playlist of all the non-Williams selections used in the film, in order of first appearance. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?video_ids=_MZNQ0cRSUA,8diMSkhIkmQ,D9qaKNQk8jY,yVPH1Q2S8pI,jMdumfx0IMk,EgEXMmPQ830&source=ctrlq.org

• 2 weeks later...

According to this new article by Jon Burlingame, 90 minutes of music were composed

“I loved doing it,” says Williams of “BFG,” “because it was a change from a lot of the things we’ve done. It was done with such feeling and such humanity that it represented a charming palette for me.”

For Williams, the orphan girl Sophie (Ruby Barnhill) and her adventure with a Big Friendly Giant (Mark Rylance) “was really an opportunity to compose and orchestrate a little children’s fantasy for orchestra.” He likened the experience to working on “Home Alone” 26 years ago, especially “the lightheartedness and fun of it. Even when scenes are threatening or ominous, we know that it’s not serious.”

Williams composed more than 90 minutes of music for an 85-piece L.A. orchestra, including especially virtuosic parts for the flute section. “We tried to animate these little dreams that flit about the screen with flutes and harps and wispy harmonies,” the composer adds.

He praised the L.A. musicians as “world class” and was so inspired that he took the same ensemble over to UCLA’s Royce Hall a few months later and recorded an entire album of Spielberg movie themes, which Sony Classical will release next year.

“BFG” was based on a 1982 children’s novel by British writer Roald Dahl, whom Williams often encountered at the home of his friend and collaborator, director Robert Altman, in the late 1960s. “He seemed to be a tweedy, literary type,” Williams recalled, noting that he “had interest in music” and that they met not long before “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory,” the 1971 musical version of his “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”

Williams concedes that he had hoped for greater commercial success for “The BFG,” which was deemed a box-office disappointment after its July 1 release.

http://variety.com/2016/film/spotlight/fantastic-beasts-bfg-john-williams-1201930763/

That that means approx 25 minutes are unreleased.

Just did some number crunching and it seems that virtually all of the music Williams composed is either on the OST or in the film (or both). 

Approximately 90 minutes, 35 seconds of Williams music is represented by the OST and film together (so this doesn't count tracked material and the classical pieces). It sounds like, give or take a few minutes, that's how much Williams wrote (Variety says "more than 90 minutes of music"). 

Variety had previously said there were "two hours" of music (http://variety.com/2016/film/spotlight/john-williams-afi-1201792072-1201792072/)...

After a heavy schedule over the past 14 months, writing three hours of music for “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and another two for Spielberg’s “The BFG,”

“I could use a little break,” he says.

... but let's assume the new number is true for now. 

In that case, it sounds like there aren't really many alternates (and any relevant ones are on the OST). 

So there may be unreleased music (Jay has the number -- ~ 25-30 minutes -- about right) but assuming the 90 minutes number is correct there is little or no "unheard music."

• 2 years later...

I've compiled a list of cue titles in alphabetical order using the BMI and GEMA repertoires, and purposefully avoided repeating tracks from the FYC and OST:

Bad Dream Insert

BFG's Alchemy

Blowing Dreams

Catching A Bad Dream

Chasing Dreams

Climbing Out

Get Over It

Get Over It Again

The Glasses and the Blanket

How Old Are You?

I Catch Dreams

I'll Find This One

Inside The Palace Garden

It's A Phizzwizard

Jump Sophie

Map Of Giant Country

March Past The Giants

Monsters

More Fleshlumpeater

Mixing The Bad Dream

New Start

No Title

The Origins Of Dreams

Please Don't Eat Me

Prelude To A Frolic

Presenting The Dream

The Queen's Helicopters

The Queen's Portrait

Scottish Drums

Sleeping Giants

Sophie Is Taken

There Was A Boy (v2)

Time For Eat

It is a really good film.

l have listed all the cues in chronological order. If I made a mistake, please correct me.

The BFG - Complete Cue List:

Overture.

The Witching Hour.

To Giant Country [Sophie Is Taken].

Climbing Out / Time for Eats

Please Don’t Eat Me.

I Will Run Away / Bedtime Story.

Sophie’s Nightmare [Mixing the Bad Dream / Sophie’s Nightmare].

Fleshlumpeater / More Fleshlumpeater.

Building Trust [Building Trust / The Glasses and the Blanket / I Catch Dreams].

Dream Jars.

Get Over It.

Prelude to a Frolic 

Frolic.

Dream Country [The Origins of Dreams / It’s a Phizzwizard / Chasing Dreams / Catching a Bad Dream].

Blowing Dreams [How Old Are You? / Blowing Dreams].

Monsters.

There Was a Boy / Jump, Sophie.

Sophie... Hide!

Snorting and Sniffing.

I’ll Find This One / The Boy’s Drawings.

The Queen’s Dream.

Presenting the Dream.

Meeting the Queen [Inside the Palace Garden].

The Queen Calls Nancy.

Map of Gaint Country / Scottish Drums.

The Queen’s Helicopters.

Sleeping Giants.

Sophie’s Future.

Giants Netted [March Past the Giants / Giants Netted / A Place Where No One Goes].

Finale.

Sophie and the BFG (End Credits).

FYI, the first half of The Queen’s Helicopters plays in one of the DVD menus (no sound effects).

Now that you mention it... Interesting. While two cues from two different films, both seem to push the orchestral button to the limit, offering frenzied and exciting passages.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently saw The BFG again. This was a great film, and of course John Williams’ score is phenomenal. I am not sure if I mentioned this, but I love how the Maestro portrays the whirling dreams with flittering flutes. I could mention all the other highlights, but I don’t have the time to detail the nearly two hours worth of music.

• 5 months later...

I posted the cue list from the music sheets on the complete cue lists thread, but just in case anyone missed it, and to have it in a score specific thread, I'm posting it here too;

1M2 The Witching Hour (with fixes 2/29/2016)
1M4 Sophie is Taken
1M5 To Giant Country
1M6 Time For Eat
1M8 Please, Don't Eat Me
1M9 I Will Run Away
1M9A Bedtime Story
2M10 Mixing The Bad Dream
2M11 Sophie's Bad Dream (w/ fixes 3/8/16)
2M11A More Fleshlumpeater
2M12 Fleshlumpeater
2M14 I is Hungry
2M16 Insert
2M16 Building Trust
2M17 I Catch Dreams
2M18 Dream Jars
2M19 R Get Over It, Again
2M19 Get Over It
3M20 Sleeping Giants
3M21 Giant Football
3M22 The Glasses and the Blanket
3M23 Dream Country
3M24 Insert The Origin of Dreams
3M24 It's A Fizz Wizard
3M24A Sophie's Dream
3M24AR Chasing Dreams
3M24B Presenting The Dream
3M25 Insert Bad Dream Insert
3M25 Catching a Bad Dream
3M26 How Old Are You?
3M25A Blowing Dreams
3M26R New Start
3M28 Insert Monsters!
3M28 March Past of the Giants
4M30 There Was A Boy
4M31 Jump, Sophie
4M35 Sophie, ...Hide!
4M36 I'll Find This One
4M37 Flute Sweeteners
4M37 Boy's Drawings
4M38 The Queen's Portrait
4M39 The Queen's Dream
5M41 Inside The Palace Garden
5M44 Insert BFG's Garden Walk
5M44 Meeting The Queen
5M45 The Queen Calls Nancy
6M50 The Queen's Helicopters
6M52 BFG's Alchemy
6M54 Sophie's Future (w/ fixes)
6M55 Giants And Bad Dreams
6M56 Giants Netted
6M56R Fix
6M57 Rev A Place Where No One Goes
6M57 A Place Where No One Goes
6M58 Finale (transposed to G Major)
6M58 Finale
Blinks
Dream I.D.s
Dream Quartet
Dreams & Fly Boys
End Credits

That's quite a few inserts and alternates! Too bad we'll never hear any of it for another few decades, barring a recording session leak. 

Interesting there's no cue title for the company logos at the start. Maybe that cue wasn't written for them after all. But where does the Overture even belong in that cue list? Why is there no 1m1?